It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone who knows New Orleans well, need some travel advice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Heya so am heading for work to New Orleans, then want to chillax a few days in a groovy old grand mansion home.

I'm going to do all the Lafayette cemetery stuff, but want to stay someone spooky but totally cool/boutique like.

Any one have any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Watch your surroundings and never...ever...get complacent. I was in and out of there before Katrina hit and never felt safe in that city or the surrounding area, even then. Few places in the nation bothered me. Not New York City, not Detroit and not even Chicago outside a few localized neighborhoods. New Orleans though? I had the distinct feeling on more than one occasion that I was being sized up as a potential mark for how much trouble it would be to roll me for whatever I might have. Hialeah, Florida and Camden, New Jersey were other places I had that very uncomfortable feeling.

Of course..it didn't help when I asked some locals (big guys working a warehouse no less) about coming down for Mardi Gras and was flat told they wouldn't go within blocks of it if they were paid triple wages to work it. Too dangerous off the most visible areas and too many bad people circling the tourists like sharks in the shadows.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

lol OK thats kinda depressing.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If you want to stay in the French Quarter,
I recommend the Olivier House.
It is an old home that has been converted and even has it's own ghost.
It is one street back from Bourbon, and just down from the House of Blues if I remember correctly,
I sort of stumbled upon it one day and have stayed there a few times, but not since Katrina. Some friends I turned on
to the place have though, and say it looks better than ever.

ETA: olivierhousehotel.com...

And no, I am not in any way shape or form affiliated.
I just think they are awesome

edit on 24-4-2013 by amarenell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It is an awesome place to visit,but not all that safe.
Never go anywhere alone.
A friend of mine,well her son got separated from the group and got mugged.
Just stay in the main areas,the streets and do not trust the locals.
That is from my experience from there.
Other than that,I had a great time there.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks Kdog, I wont be alone.
Im really just hoping someone knows a groovy place they could recommend.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks Kdog, I wont be alone.
Im really just hoping someone knows a groovy place they could recommend.

My wife know's it well.Looking for some voodoo shops,and the like,she knows it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
OH well, If we are giving out advice too, then don't take any challenges from people on the street.
My husband is sort of the oblivious sort, and a man can up to him told him, "Whatchu wanna bet I guess where you got dem shoes?" I tried to get the hubs to not do it, but he did. Of course the reply was "You got dem right here." So, good heart that hubs is, he paid up (bought the man a bottle of liquor) and was then pissed the rest of the day.

Like any large city in the world, be vigilant of your surroundings. But I have been in New Orleans alot, even during Mardi Gras, on Bourbon Street. It is just beautiful city, but it does smell funny. And not funny haha either. But it's pretty

ETA: The Garden District is lovely, but staying there you would have to ride the streetcars (not a bad thing, mind you) but most of what you want to see as a first timer is in the French Quarter. So again the Olivier House for the French Quarter, but if you want the Garden District, I've only Stayed at the Hampton Inn. However, friends have stayed at the Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast and absolutely LOVED it.
edit on 24-4-2013 by amarenell because: ADD

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Go to Bourbon St. if you wanna party!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The Columns on St. Charles is pretty dang cool for a boutique hotel. Windsor Court for luxury.

Music at Tipitina's

Sazerac at Napoleon House.

Shrimp poboy at Domilise's (or oyster if it's not summer)

Muffuletta from Central Grocery (only a half -you were warned!)

Jazz Brunch at Court of Two Sisters (table outside)

Cafe au' Lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde

ETA:

A table by the window, in the evening, at Galvez in the French Market - for tapas and the best view of the river in town.

Visit Marie Luveau's tomb (the real one, St. Louis Cemetery 1)
edit on 4/25/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
As others have mentioned, stay aware. You'll find plenty of interesting people that just want to chat your ear off. But there's others that just want what you've got. Just don't play the "hey, I'm a dumb tourist" schtick and you'll be alright. For the most part everyone there is just trying to enjoy themselves.

Until after Katrina I had very close friends that lived over in Long Beach, MS and I would stay there on my visits. I still go down there twice a year and I've stayed at a few different places since. My favorite two places in the French Quarter to stay are Maison Dupuy and Le Richelieu. Dupuy is more or less right off the main stretch of Bourbon, while Le Richelieu is over by the French Market off Esplanade.

If you enjoy a lot of solo acoustic stuff or small trios you should take a stroll over to Balcony Music Club in the evening on the corner of Esplanade and... I want to say Decatur or Chartres. Or you can pop in at The Spotted Cat late in the evening for some wild jazz over on Frenchman St. Both are small places and off away from the madness of Bourbon. But you'll never be far from music while you're there.

I can't give you any recommendations on food. I have always loved everything cajun and creole so I would list off more places than you could possibly go. But, go to Red Fish Grill on Bourbon near Canal St. Get the red fish if they've got it.

And, of course, there are dozens of other things to do and see. Haunted walking tours, visit the cemeteries, go to the voodoo shops, head over to the Garden District, check out shops on Magazine St, bayou tours, shop the French Market, etc.

I was down there last August 25th through September 4th. Yeah, during the hurricane. It was crazy. No power anywhere. Gay Pride was Labor Day weekend. Westboro Baptist people wandering about. Sweltering heat and humidity after the hurricane swept through. Lots of visits to the market on the corner for cold adult beverages and visits to the Hustler Club kept me going. They were some of the few places that had generators.

I love NOLA like few other places.

ETA: Oh, yeah, the shoe thing. Just keep walking. I see that happen every day down there. Usually somewhere in the vicinity of Jackson Square.
edit on 4/25/2013 by LuckyLucian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Zazz, are you going to Jazz Fest or later?

@Wrabbit...

My former job brought me to many of the more infamous areas of NOLA....but I've only ever been concerned for my safety during Mardi Gras, soooo....it's not the locals.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Hi Zazz, If you want to stay somewhere a little more interesting than a hotel then I recommend you find a bed & breakfast. New Orleans has many B&Bs that are old mansions that have been converted, such as the Avenue Inn.www.avenueinnbb.com...
This site has a few good ones listed;www.neworleansbandbs.com...

Also we do not recommend the tourist staples such as Court of Two Sisters, (with all due respect to Kosmicjack).
There are many great things to eat, do and see here that the tourist don't always know about.
Such as, Cochon for dinner, www.cochonrestaurant.com...
And if you want some really great food and you can relax your service standards, there is Coop's place. 1109 Decatur st. Check out the reviews on yelp, people love them or hate them because the staff is sometimes out of control, but in a fun way. It's always a party there, but don't get in a hurry.

Best place for live music used to be Tipatina's but now Frenchmen st. seems to be the music hub.
DBA, The Spotted Cat, Yuki's all within two blocks of each other.

We know this city as well as anyone, if you find a B&B online and want a personal opinion of the area (safety, convenience, etc.), please feel free to PM us and we will tell you everything we know about the address.

Also we can recommend dozens of great places to eat, and things to see that you will not find in the tour guides.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

LoL! Well, it hasn't been around for decades because it sucks...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Have fun on your trip! I always just stay at motels across the river because it's way cheaper and the hotels will shuttle you back and forth to the ferry for free. Just make sure you stay with the person/people who accompany you, enjoy the 3 for 1 drinks and awesome food, and dance your backside off!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Have to agree with Wrabbit2000

New Orleans is not all that safe, at all, especially at night, especially in old cemeteries.
There are a lot of B&B inns and such that can offer the historic feel but I'd be careful about wandering around after dark.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by tanda7

LoL! Well, it hasn't been around for decades because it sucks...

Of course, you're right, they don't suck.
But in our most humble opinion, they don't make the top 20 list.
It all depends on what you want out of your visit.
Our work forces us to be very social and this includes eating out practically every day. We have entertained visitors that want to see all the iconic establishments and we have shown others the hidden jewels. Experiencing both would be ideal but our guest are always more impressed with the less tourist driven restaurants.

A table by the window, in the evening, at Galvez in the French Market - for tapas and the best view of the river in town.
Couldn't agree more with this one. Another great view is in the Westin at Canal Place. The bar and lobby are on the 11th floor. You can sip a drink and sit in front of a 20ft tall wall of windows over looking the river and looking down over the french quarter. It may be the best spot for fireworks displays.
edit on 25-4-2013 by tanda7 because: agreement

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
The Columns on St. Charles is pretty dang cool for a boutique hotel. Windsor Court for luxury.

Music at Tipitina's

Sazerac at Napoleon House.

Shrimp poboy at Domilise's (or oyster if it's not summer)

Muffuletta from Central Grocery (only a half -you were warned!)

Jazz Brunch at Court of Two Sisters (table outside)

Cafe au' Lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde

ETA:

Visit Marie Luveau's tomb (the real one, St. Louis Cemetery 1)
edit on 4/25/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

Decent list. I'd say get a sazerac from the Sazerac Bar in The Roosevelt. I'd also add Snug Harbor for proper music.

And for a bar, there is only one - French 75. It's literally the best bar in the US (and I've been to more than most).

You local as well?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I live an hour from New Orleans, but I am not native to Louisiana.

All of my friends who are from there or who have spent a lot of time there, HIGHLY recommend that you don't take a wallet or a purse there. Pick pockets and muggers are everywhere. Even kids as young as 5 or 6 are trained on how to lift your wallet. Hide your money on your person in small increments so no one sees you flashing a wad of cash when you buy your Hurricane.
There are also a lot of crazies and hustlers, so stay aware of your surroundings, don't engage the nuts, and don't be a drunken smart ass or you will get hurt.

Speaking of hurricanes, they are a drink that is very potent and sneaks up on you. Drink 1, 2 if you are a glutton for punishment. Never, ever drink 3. Same goes for the other local specialty drinks.

Parking in the quarter is $40, if you go three streets over it drops to 10-15 for the day. Better yet, look for hotels that offer free parking and shuttle service. Parking your own car down there can be a nightmare.

The WW2 museum is very boring for a national museum. It is worth skipping unless you are there with a family member that served. My kids hated it and it wasn't interactive at all.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Forget the talk of Hurricanes. If you want the drink that will knock you on your fanny go to Snug Harbor and get a Typhoon. Or if you want to be a tourist go to Bourbon St and get a Handgrenade or a Jester. You literally only need one.

And the WWII museum is an excellent museum. Perhaps it's boring for those that lack understanding of its import or what's really being shown there. It's absolutely worth seeing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join