It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question on near death experiences .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I have always thought when we die we went into a dream like place. With what we see is a manifestation of our own creation . Until we realize it and can create and control it and make the reality what we want . I am not sure how many people have experienced the realization in a dream that your dreaming and started to influence and create the dream. Even weirder when you have a dream and have a dream with in that dream. Is there another state of consciousness that we tap into every night where we come from and where we go ?

When my father was dying a few months ago I saw him 36 hours before he died and he was telling me how his dreams were so vivid he could no longer tell the difference between his dreams from being awake . I later asked the nurse what drugs he was on she said nothing .

I was wondering if others have heard the same thing from people who were so close to death or experienced with their own near death.
edit on 23/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Dear freedomSlave,

Please tell us why you have always thought this? How did you come to this understanding?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Not really sure how I got to understanding this but always thought so from a young age a feeling /assumption . It really in all honesty be our brains just playing tricks on us when we are dying to help us cope with the fact of dying . Or it could be a vale lifting off .

My mothers 3rd husband when he was dying he claimed to see people he once knew that were dead . Even a bird he once had .

I was just wondering what people have experienced with people near death. or anything like what I am describing.

thanks for the reply
edit on 24/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

When I was 8 years old I was a drowning victim and had a near death experience.

I would have to write a book here to give all of the details so I will give an abridged version.

The last time I went under water everything faded. It seemed like a period of time had passed. My next memory was me floating above the water near the back at a north eastern direction looking south from where I was. I watched as 2 men pulled my body out of the water.

Then something caught my attention to the west or my right. When I looked I seen a Huge Oval Mirror with very ornate filigree trim going around the border. As I was looking at the mirror a face slowly protruded outwards to about halfway. I could see no ears and no hair but I could tell that it was a female. As I was noticing the she had the most beautiful complexion I have ever seen, everything got really bright. It was then that I realized that I had a light shining down on me and people were asking me if I was O.K.

From that day on I have always believed that there is "Something" hereafter.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Dear freedomSlave,

An NDE is nothing like a dream. It is more real than any moment in your life that you will experience. I do not know why some have NDEs and others are allowed to just die. Nobody likes coming back, it just is not that fun. Reality is not an awareness of solidity in matter, matter is not solid. Reality comes from an understanding of the truth. People are not afraid of dying, they are afraid that there may be an afterlife where there are consequences for what they do here. They fear eternal consciousness because it means eternal responsibility or forgiveness coming to us from others.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
FreedomSlave:

I am not sure how many people have experienced the realization in a dream that your dreaming and started to influence and create the dream.

You are describing 'lucid dreaming', a hyper conscious awareness whilst sleeping. As many of you may know that throughout our daily wakeful hours, waste and toxins build up which eventually wear us out, so the sleep cycle is a period of time whereby the body can flush the waste and toxins out of the body, and make essential celluar repairs. As we draw towards the end of the day, fading natural light promotes certain chemical productions in the brain that dampen the motor circuitry of our bodies and other bodily fucnctions, basically we hibernate a certain number of hours out of every twenty four, instead of hibernating 5/6 months a year.

The dampening chemicals lessen conscious awareness by dimming down higher-cortical functions, but as we sleep the higher brain functions come back into semi-awareness every 90 minutes or so, which is when we dream, but the body's motor functions remain highly dampened. Lucid dreaming is dreaming and being consciously aware that you are dreaming. Many have erroneously thought themselves to be out-of-body (oobe) during this phase. As much as many would like to think it, consciousness does not leave the body. It cannot disconnect from the body, because consciousness is not a thing, but a state of condition.

I am a highly visual person and lucid dream quite a lot, and have even taught myself how to manipulate certain aspects of the dream to my particular preference. It is nothing more than higher-cortical functioning process systemizing the previous day's events into long-term memory...defragging if you wish.

The so-called 'near-death experience' (NDE) is a similar process. Elements of memory become the focus of sentience whilst the external world is no longer able to be accessed by the body and sense organs during the death state. The brain goes into a form of hibernation during the death process, and will eventually die if a reconnection to the body's essential life sustaining functions are not obtained. It's merely an inbuilt natural safety mechanism by which our sentient aspects disconnect from trauma and refocus awareness upon memory elements that provide a very simple but highly organised panoramic theatre. During this phase everything seems 'hyper-real', but it is nothing more than an elaborate dream sequence.
edit on 24/4/13 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience . Luckily those two men were near to pull you out .

When you saw these men pulling you out from the water with your out of body experience did they look identical when you regained consciousness . I realize it was a long time ago . Interesting none the less

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

An NDE is nothing like a dream. It is more real than any moment in your life that you will experience

With my father he couldn't tell what was real or what was a dream like as if this world was fading and his dream world was becoming more vivid and real.

That is why I questioned the nurse if he was on any drugs as I didn't think he was

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The afterlife often described by some of the spirits sounds boring. People living in a small town community, working and toiling the land, building their buildings by hand, captains taking little kids on boring boat rides in the water, smiling grannies on the porch, clowns performing circuses. Fun for maybe five minutes perhaps, but not my idea of an afterlife. However, some other spirits describe a far more interesting type of afterlife. It seems to differ from spirit to spirit.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

Energy doesn't die according to Albert Einstein it can change form from matter to energy .

Then with philosophy and mysticism we use our pineal gland to more or less tap in to Astral plane or access a different state of being .

Quantum mechanics we can create our realities the only place I have been able to create reality is when I am dreaming , Maybe this is what they were talking about creating our own reality but in the energy side of of life and not the physical/ mass world

not really sure if any of that made sense

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Forests

Could it be manifestations of the observer?

The idea of heaven really does sound boring .

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The two men were the owners of a gas station that was up a hill about 300 yards. It was actually some ball players that were walking over the bridge to go home when they noticed me. One of them ran up the hill to the gas station to get help.

And although I had never seen the 2 men before, they looked exactly like they did from what I was seeing. Also, when they were pulling me from the water, one had me by the leg and one had me by the arm. One thing that is a little weird is that every time I think about it, I think I can actually feel it. When they got me out of the water, they rolled me on to my stomach and started rubbing my back vigorously. The next day I found out that they were giving me a heart massage and pumping my lungs out. They both thought it was very odd that I was asking about that considering I was unconscious at the time.

The next day both men came to visit me in the hospital and it seemed like I already knew them. It was a very strange feeling.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
When my father died this past December, (unfortunately, I was asleep and didn't get to see him until 2 minutes after he died), I was told he said he had to go to the bathroom....then when he got settled into bed, I was told he looked up to a corner of the ceiling and smiled.....then was gone.....

I asked him, before he died, (I was with him for 4 months before he passed). to give me a sign....since his death, I have seen numbers in triplicate EVERYWHERE...3:33. 2:22, 11:11.....5:55...I'll be falling apart with grief...and suddenly I'll see something that will be personal with relation to him...I even was on the verge of suicide, (my father's last wife of 9 months is suing me for half of his life insurance...so I have been pretty wound up....) and then...out of the blue...I get a card from his 3rd wife...the one he was married to when I lived with him as a teenager....stating that my father really loved me.....and I had not seen nor heard from her since 1993....

so....I believe there is something out there we don't comprehend.....

When I started to get epilepsy....seizures monthly for 2 years...I started to NOT believe in anything after death as when I had a seizure there was NOTHING....just here one moment and in the next...strapped to a hospital bed......blackness in between...but since my father's death...I dunno.....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I don't know If I had a NDE or OBE but I was 7 or 8 and was at hockey practice and somehow I ended up hitting my head on the boards and was knocked out. I don't remember how I fell or if I was tripped or what, but I do remember seeing black, then the next moment I was in my street clothes looking onto the ice and I could hear everybody talking and I knew where everybody was and what they were doing. I could see it all, I think I was aware of what happened and where I was and then a few seconds later I was back in my body.

I don't know how long I was out it had to have been a few minutes, I think I had a concussion which since nobody really knew anything about them at the time I was told to go practice again and I almost fainted again. The next day my head hurt really bad like I had a splitting headache.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
FreedomSlave:

Energy doesn't die, according to Albert Einstein it can change form from matter to energy.

Energy doesn't and has never 'lived' either. Einstein discoverd that energy and matter are interchangeable expressions of the same fundamental aspect of nature, which is what his famous equation E=mc squared quantifies. This does not mean that we know what energy itself is? We know the different types of 'flavours' energy manifests as, such as kinectic energy (motion) and potential energy (matter), for instance, but we do not know what it is that underlies these different manifestations, no one does.

Then with philosophy and mysticism we use our pineal gland to more or less tap in to Astral plane or access a different state of being.

Philosophical and esoteric teachings have indeed linked the pineal gland with mystical traditions, but unfortunately, the pineal gland's function is much more mundane. Well, when I say mundane I actually mean it has a more down-to-earth function.
As I stated in my earlier post, light and day affects our bodies, and it is the pineal gland that when stimulated by varying light levels (via the optic nerves) produces the hormone melatonin, which plays a part in the human sleep/awake cycle. The pineal gland is associated with human circadian rhythms, and also sexual growth and the onset of puberty, playing an important role in children ensuring that they do not come into sexual growth before puberty. The gland, itself, is certainly not a doorway to some fantastical realm beyond the senses.

(Through) Quantum mechanics we can create our (own) realities. The only place I have been able to create reality is when I am dreaming. Maybe this is what they were talking about creating our own reality but in the energy side of life and not the physical world.

What you are stating here is to do with the thinking that we create our own realities, which is clearly not the case. This has to do with the Idealist's proposition that there is nothing but mental stuff and mental events, that there is no physical stuff. It is an alternative philosophical argument that seeks to answer the age old philosophical debate regarding the mind/body problem - how mind relates to the physical body? The other two important arguments (although there are more) are materialism - there is no mind, just physical stuff; and Dualism - the mind and body are two distinct separate components that hold a symbiotic relation to one another, that the world is made up of physical and mental stuff. No one argument has been able to account for all the phenomenon we experience, and have thus far failed to answer the puzzle. Here's a question for you to ponder, and it has a very important bearing on NDE.

Do you think that we have a 'mind' that is 'conscious', or a 'conscious' that we perceive as 'mind'?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

An NDE is nothing like a dream. It is more real than any moment in your life that you will experience

With my father he couldn't tell what was real or what was a dream like as if this world was fading and his dream world was becoming more vivid and real.

That is why I questioned the nurse if he was on any drugs as I didn't think he was

Dear freedomSlave,

Perhaps it was the other way around, perhaps this representation is more dreamlike than our eternal reality. After my NDE, I began researching what others had said about theirs. There are a couple of things that I found consistent with those whose experiences I accepted as most likely to be truthful. One of the biggies was that they said that the experience was more real than real. This has also recently been written about by some researchers, turns out I was right and that this is what most say.

I consider this place practice for the afterlife, it is an opportunity to be challenged and define ourselves and understand ourselves. How many people do you know that talk about what they would do if confronted by someone; but, when it happens they fold like a cheap paper cup. We have all had experiences where we did things that we thought we would not or did things that we never thought we could or would. Life is where those beliefs are tested and we demonstrate what we really believe.

I will not and have not ever gone into much detail about personal NDE, nor do I intend to online. I will say this, when you know you are about to die, you look at your life and ask what it meant and you see yourself for who you are, with all of life's issues left meaningless, you can see yourself clearly. I was okay with myself for the most part, none of us are perfect; but, I was good with my effort. The deepest truth in the universe that we can know is who we are and it takes a whole lifetime to do that. In my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

That is pretty neat how you saw them as they are and what they looked like from an O.B.E.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

Sorry for the lose of your father and then a legal battle was at the worst time . hopefully the legal battles are done with and you can move one after you lose

I find help usually comes when we are hurting and suffering in the most unusual places . thank you for sharing

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

I find the O.B.E fascinating. from what I been reading about peoples experiences online is that is that people can accurately describe whats going on around them .

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire

Energy doesn't and has never 'lived' either. Einstein discoverd that energy and matter are interchangeable expressions of the same fundamental aspect of nature, which is what his famous equation E=mc squared quantifies. This does not mean that we know what energy itself is? We know the different types of 'flavours' energy manifests as, such as kinectic energy (motion) and potential energy (matter), for instance, but we do not know what it is that underlies these different manifestations, no one does.
Science is always changing and evolving. No we don't know and probably never know what happens when out times up people have had experiences that science is having a hard time to answer . LoL just because I stated in the op I thought when we die we go to a dream , I also think when we dies we just die , 50/50 we die or carry on in some other shape or form . I am just curious to what others have experienced with people who were near death.

Philosophical and esoteric teachings have indeed linked the pineal gland with mystical traditions, but unfortunately, the pineal gland's function is much more mundane. Well, when I say mundane I actually mean it has a more down-to-earth function.
As I stated in my earlier post, light and day affects our bodies, and it is the pineal gland that when stimulated by varying light levels (via the optic nerves) produces the hormone melatonin, which plays a part in the human sleep/awake cycle. The pineal gland is associated with human circadian rhythms, and also sexual growth and the onset of puberty, playing an important role in children ensuring that they do not come into sexual growth before puberty. The gland, itself, is certainly not a doorway to some fantastical realm beyond the senses.

realize that but just merely bring up another part of discussion as to many cultures and beliefs the third eye is more than what is stated . As for dreams and where they come from sorry I think science is no where near figuring this out . As for dream being a defrag of the previous day , ever have a dream and have the same thing play out the exact same way the next day or few days later ? Ever have dream of unfamiliar places or unfamiliar faces.

What you are stating here is to do with the thinking that we create our own realities, which is clearly not the case. This has to do with the Idealist's proposition that there is nothing but mental stuff and mental events, that there is no physical stuff. It is an alternative philosophical argument that seeks to answer the age old philosophical debate regarding the mind/body problem - how mind relates to the physical body? The other two important arguments (although there are more) are materialism - there is no mind, just physical stuff; and Dualism - the mind and body are two distinct separate components that hold a symbiotic relation to one another, that the world is made up of physical and mental stuff. No one argument has been able to account for all the phenomenon we experience, and have thus far failed to answer the puzzle.
Creating our realities doesn't happen no and many people have tried to create their day/ reality don't really think it worked out to well for them . and it is foolish to think so . However the only reality if we can call it a reality that we can create is in our dreams and that is where I was going with that .

Here's a question for you to ponder, and it has a very important bearing on NDE

Do you think that we have a 'mind' that is 'conscious', or a 'conscious' that we perceive as 'mind'?

hmmm I think animals are conscious and I also think plants are also conscious ( being self aware )

This program integrates hard-core science with a light-hearted look at how plants behave, revealing a world where plants are as busy, responsive and complex as we are. From the stunning heights of the Great Basin Desert to the lush coastal rainforests of west coast Canada, scientist J.C. Cahill takes us on a journey into the "secret world of plants," revealing an astonishing landscape where plants eavesdrop on each other, talk to their allies, call in insect mercenaries and nurture their young. It is a world of pulsing activity, where plants communicate, co-operate and sometimes, wage all-out war.
I don't think a mind is needed to experience consciousness I think just the fact of being alive .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join