It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged terror plot thwarted by arrests in Ontario, Quebec

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This just keeps getting crazier and crazier...

www.cbc.ca...

Conference being held at 3:30PM EST with more info.

Canadian police and intelligence agencies will announce later today they have thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack, arresting two suspects in Montreal and Toronto, CBC News has learned.

Highly placed sources tell CBC News the alleged plotters have been under surveillance for more than a year in Quebec and southern Ontario.

The two men are expected to appear in court tomorrow.

RCMP are holding a LIVE update on the plot investigation at 3:30 p.m. ET
The investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The arrests Monday morning were co-ordinated and executed by a special joint task force of RCMP and CSIS anti-terrorism units, combined with provincial and municipal police forces in Ontario and Quebec.

The RCMP are expected to hold a press conference Monday afternoon to announce the arrests and provide details of the alleged plot, and give an overview of the extensive police and intelligence operation.

Law enforcement officials say the terror suspects arrested today have no connection to the two brothers accused of last week's Boston Marathon bombings.

They also say there is no tie to the former London, Ont., high school friends who joined al-Qaeda and died earlier this year while helping to stage a bloody attack on an Algerian gas refinery.

Some updates/key-notes from the conference:

- They were planning to derail a VIA Rail train

- They've been following the individuals for a year, received warrants to arrest them recently (didn't state when they were arrested)

- Were receiving help/guidance from al-Qaeda elements in Iran

- They wouldn't comment on what the route it was exactly, but it was a train in the Greater Toronto Area (the newscaster said from Toronto to New York originally)

- They wouldn't comment on what was recovered

- There's still an ongoing investigation underway, so information was very limited; they said they would release more information as soon as they can
edit on 22-4-2013 by fusse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Your title would make it seem like there was an actual attempt of terrorism
That was prevented thanks to FBI and Canadian secret service.

In fact if you read the article they have been on this case for over a year
And just made the arrest today .

In my opinion this is just another set up by the FBI that they decided to
Make the arrest on just to try and wipe the egg off there face from the
Boston bombings .

Just my 2 cent...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I guess it's only important if there's a body count, huh?

I find this terror plot being foiled amazing news for us Canadians and applaud all people involved from stopping this was happening.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fusse

You're totally right. Great news!

I work in Ottawa, the nation's capital and been expecting some kind of event for quite some time. I guess it's just a matter of time before it happens

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY
reply to post by fusse

You're totally right. Great news!

I work in Ottawa, the nation's capital and been expecting some kind of event for quite some time. I guess it's just a matter of time before it happens

Was just talking to a family member earlier today about how it's only a matter of time we see this on our soil too. Sad world...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There were some arrests in upstate NY. There is a video circulating from the other day also...

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join