It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks reveals Australian's Foreign Minister is a US spy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Gotcha !!!

AUSTRALIAN Foreign Minister Bob Carr has been revealed as a long-term source of intelligence to the United States of America in previously secret diplomatic reports released by WikiLeaks today. The reports show Senator Carr began communicating with American diplomats over forty years ago when he was still a rising star in the New South Wales Labor Party. It is understood that American officials approached Carr to gather information regarding internal Labor politics during the mid-1970s, at a time when the left-wing Whitlam government threatened to undermine the US-Australian alliance.

Sauce

Australia was slowly weaning herself like her cousin New Zealand, from far fetching international political rhetorics and just be themselves, enjoying the sand, sun, surf but then BAM,BAM,BAM, Darwin's gonna house 2500 US troops !!!! OMFG, we are going to WAR !!!! AGAIN !!! For the AMERICAN AGAIN !!!!

Then there is the treasonous Bob Carr, a spy for the USA, outed by Wikileaks....

When it comes to spying business, I do have a high regard for ideological spies and zero for those who wished for wealth. Now let's see which category he comes from.

The Honourable Bob Carr Board of Directors Bob Carr is a member of the US Studies Centre Board of Directors. He was a speaker at the 2011 National Summit. Bob Carr is the longest continuously serving Premier in New South Wales history. Born in 1947 he was educated at Matraville High School and the University of New South Wales. He was a journalist with ABC Radio and The Bulletin.

Elected as Member for Maroubra in 1983, he was Minister for Planning and Environment and Minister for Heritage in the Wran and Unsworth Governments. He served as Leader of the Opposition from 1988 until his election as Premier in March 1995. He was re-elected in 1999 and again in March 2003 securing an historic third four-year term. He retired from politics in 2005 after over 10 years as Premier.

During these 10 years the State Government set new records for spending on infrastructure, became the first government in the State's history to retire debt, hosted the world's best Olympics in 2000, achieved the nation's best school literacy levels, and Forbes magazine called Bob Carr a "dragon slayer" for his landmark tort law reforms.

As Premier he introduced the world's first carbon trading scheme and curbed the clearing of native vegetation as anti-greenhouse measures. Today he chairs the Advisory Council of the Climate Institute. He was a member of the International Task Force on Climate Change convened by Tony Blair.

He is also Chair of the Board of the Asbestos Diseases Research Foundation; a member of the Board of the Dymocks Group of Companies, a member of the advisory board of the Centre for Australian Studies at Georgetown University, Washington and a member of the India Council for Sustainable Development.

Bob Carr has received the Fulbright Distinguished Fellow Award Scholarship and the World Conservation Union International Parks Merit Award. He has served as Honorary Scholar of the Australian American Leadership Dialogue. He is the author of Thoughtlines (2002), What Australia Means to Me (2003), and My Reading Life (2008).

Bio

Wiki

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Do you happen to have more information? It appears, from the article, that he provided information about the inner thinking of one of the parties about 40 years ago, and that he is no longer a member of government. I don't mind getting upset now and then, but as I say, I need a bit more. (By the way, was it treason to the party? I didn't see a claim that he leaked any national secrets.)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If he was a spy, his communications and identity would not have been made public almost ten years ago. He wasn't a spy. He was just a guy who was free with his opinions. As for WikiLeaks, good on them for plugging old public documents into a search engine, I guess.

These records have technically been available to the public since their transfer to the National Archives seven years ago, however they have been underutilised by historians due to the fact that it was impossible to search the documents electronically.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
He's a rather bad spy when what you're referencing for his spycraft and connections are right in Wikipedia?

Is there something showing him with ties to U.S. Intelligence agencies for being an asset/agent? I'm kinda missing the connections here too? The U.S. and Australia are so close in some levels between the Governments and Nations that I think it's fair to say it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins. Absolutely not in society.....but within Governments? Well.. Spy is a very serious word to use, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The whole damn shambles of politics in Aus - indeed everywhere - is a mockery.

Government in Aus is a joke. If it is even a government, and not a US company.

larryhannigan.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The wiki reference is just a reference, my bad. It is for people who doesn't know who he is.

I am sure more things and what sort of compromises have been done. Politic is a dirty world and maybe there is a protector/gatekeeper that keeps the secret for so long without any intervention or maybe Australia is really another state of the USA.

Come to think of it, when US says "Jump", Australia says "How High ?"

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mypan

You make a good point here and after reading all your linked material as well as what it links to from inside the articles .... Well, I wouldn't call him a spy per say, because he doesn't appear to have been connected to intelligence or working particularly covert or against Australia's interests...

On the other hand, he was apparently feeding 'inside baseball' of Australian politics to U.S. diplomats where I am sure that was very useful for policy positions and decision making on some things.

In thinking about it that way? I suppose I'd be pretty mad to find out an American politician in a similar high office had been feeding inside info out to Diplomats of a foreign nation....ally or not.

.....in fact, isn't that pretty much a variation to what Jonathan Pollard is rotting in a cell for? He was no high level office holder ..but still feeding intelligence type information out to an allied nation for their benefit and not necessarily anything that actually harmed the U.S..

Good thread, OP! I love the ones where it's never quite black and white on things.

edit on 13-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I've actually met Bob, he was doing a speach at his local RSL before the band i was working with and we did his sound too. Quiet guy, seemed to be deep inside his head most of the time.. not your usual loud politician.

Lately.. he's fallen well out of favor with the admin, no surprises he's being painted as a traitor.. but there's a big missing link here... Australia hasn't had a "real" government since Harold Holt went for a "swim"

What we have.. is middle managers, all vying for a bigger slice of the pie, the American pie.. or at least up until a few years ago. Now we bicker over china's rice (metaphor).

They sold off just about everything to greedy corps.. they stole our civilian defenses away, made us weak.. dependent.. everything the US gov is being accused of lately.. my gov has DONE IT.

They are all traitors, sellouts to the global (or elite.. depends what your veiw is) agenda. We as people have little say, and are snowballed or blacklisted if we show the slightest resistance to the corps that really rule this nation.

So.. in many ways.. even if Bob is a "spy" , he's done far (totally minimal) less damage than the gov as a whole.. and honestly.. they don't need Bob to spy... they have ASIO for that.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mypan

Wow... aren't you a little sheltered... Australia has done the same to the US.

Keep your enemies close, and your friends closer. Just because we are allies does not mean we will see eye to eye on everything. Knowing what an ally is thinking can actually help understand their position.

The extent its being made out to be is nothing more than BS drama.

top topics

join