It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A True Story About My Other Life...Come Join Me By The Campfire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I sit today by my computer and write this tale because I dream and remember my other life...a life as a Native American. Some would say it was a hard time, a time when men possessed nothing. I remember it differently. Come join me by the campfire. Our village enjoyed sitting by the fire at night and telling tales of our hunting adventures or counting coup. We hunted animals back then for nourishment, not for sport or for the joy of killing. We always offered thanks and felt the highest respect for the "gift" the forest creatures gave to us. We made offerings of tobacco and gave reverence to any trees of the forest that we needed to cut down for lodging. In the now times, huge machines cut down thousands of trees in one day and no thought is given as to how much damage we are doing to Mother Earth.

Now, my story once again told as if I am there now...

We sit by the campfire at night and look at the sky and take pleasure in the view....the sky is as black as a ravens wing and the stars are like diamonds. Seems as if we could see "forever" as far as the universe went back in those days...no pollution from city lights. The "sky people" taught us much and never hurt us. We spoke of legends of the white buffalo some other times.

I can remember the crunch of the snow under my feet in winter as I hunted. The sweet scent of the wild flowers in the fields after a soft, spring rain...the sound of thunder in the distance that sounded like the drums of a neighboring village. Summer would bring the little ones, romping in the cool, fresh, clear waters. A spring fed stream was near, where you could cup your hands together and drink of the pure waters and not become sickened or die. The sweet taste of wild berries still linger in my minds eye. Harvest time would bring juicy, fresh tasting crops, vivid in color and a joy to eat....not like the GMO crops of today...all dry and tasteless and shrivled.

We all lived as one. The Old people were respected and revered. There were no nursing homes back then, where old people live with the stench of urine and fear and signs of mistreatment. Back then, we learned much from the wisdom of the elders. Sometimes, an old one would say, "It is a good day to die" and go off and end their days in peace up high in the mountains with the sun streaming on their upturned face. They were ready and happy to meet Creator.

The sky was a vivid blue...no skytrails then...from the filth spewing from planes and the dirt of factory smoke stacks. The sound of silence was a treasure...no traffic sounds and sirens, or loud music coming from boxes. The songs and sounds of the woods creatures were abundant. They still had their homes and places to live in harmony with us. Cities and concrete did not push them away and into smaller spaces yet.

Today, I sit by my computer, I think and remember the "olden days', the other life and a tear rolls down my cheek, just like that tv ad years ago, of the Indian crying while looking at a changed, fouled world. I go to my car, (I'd rather have a pony) and I see fast food wrappers and styrofoam cups blow by, I hear 2 neighbors arguing over something trivial. Yards are a mess. No one seems to plant vegetable gardens for food for the body anymore or flowers for food for the soul. We have come to this? Perhaps "Trickster" will play a trick on us one day...and bring about such a change to Mother Earth that we will once again have to live our lives as we once did. It was good...I remember it.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I forgot to say something...Mitakuye Oyasin....meaning, "All my relations", We are all one. Blessings to all here at ATS. So tired, sleep evades me quite often. Hugs.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I too feel the old ways. I live in an area where once Native Americans lived and loved. I can feel and see them in certain places around here. I have seen the way they lived, exactly as you say. Lovely campfire, I am pleased you invited me, thank you.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

Shrevegal , I got your warmth from the campfire, thankyou . Life has changed so much. I was thinking about the classic Aussie word MATE and noted that is the Aussie way of being inclusive we are all joined in the end.
cheers 1%

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing this my sweet friend.

Sometimes when I am driving down the street, I try to take the country roads...and it makes me so mad seeing all the trash on the sides of the road. I don't understand why people want to liter our land with trash. I just feel the trash system is there for a reason and should be used properly and don't throw trash out.
There's Indian mounds near me, they are very neat to be around, I haven't been in awhile, I should go and take my boy.
You painted lovely images in my head of being one with nature. And I think we are all connected.
Peace and love to you
-nat

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Thank you each and every one of you that have come to join me at my campfire. I treasure you all! I feel so blessed to have a place to come to where I can write and share and meet new people and to also read what others have to share. I have heard of how the word "mate" is used and means the same as I mentioned. I love the way it sounds.
It is so fun to see some of my friends here...newer ones and some others I have come to know since here. Teddy bear hugs and angel kisses to all! ^j^

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

You are always welcome at my campfire as well. This summer my son and I are going to camp up in our favorite woods and sit by a campfire. We will eat fish that we have caught and eat berries that we find. I will carve walking sticks and make rawhide and stone tools and jewelry. We will stare into that indigo night sky and imagine we are living in a simpler world.

We will play our drums and listen to the wolves sing. By day we will swim in the crystal clear water and dry ourselves on sun warmed granite boulders. At night we will build another sweat lodge and spread wet cedar boughs on the hot stones and then run naked and jump into the cold stream to cool off. We will then sleep like babies to be awakened by the morning sun.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

grayeagle, That was wonderful, what you said. I will be there with you in spirit for sure. Being one with nature and enjoying all that she has to offer...it dosen't get any better than that..and to share it with our children...priceless! Blessings to you friend and to all here.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrevegal
reply to post by grayeagle

Being one with nature and enjoying all that she has to offer...

Being one with nature and enjoying all that "THEY" (he and her) have to offer, and this is a perfect thread for a starved mind.

Thank you so much.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Thank you AussieAmanda for stopping by and for the lovely words. I was hoping this topic thread would make folks feel "something"...get a feeling for the earth and Nature. I say lotsa times, "Mother Earth" and "Father Sky" as do the Native Amercicans. Nature really is "both" when one thinks about it...he/she.
I always get a smile when I think of that old time tv ad where someone says, "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature". Funny in a way but when taken seriously....not. This poor, beautiful planet, when I think of what it has gone through...especially in the last 100 years, is disconcerting. Teddy bear hugs and angel kisses to you and thanx again for saying hi.

top topics

join