It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Windows on laptop.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was trying to use my daughters Laptop yesterday with Windows Pro on it. It is sort of based on I phone technology. I research on the computer a lot, I asked her if she could get rid of some of the distracting colors on the explorer taskbar and she told me she can't figure out how to change much. The whole thing was distracting. No wonder people can't concentrate anymore. I thought Windows was created to simplify things and not to distract us. I also noticed that there must be a lot of software in it to steer you to certain things. I like to explore many different perceptions of what I research so I can find multiple ideas to compare. This operating system did not easily allow me to do that for some reason. I still use windows 2000 pro for this reason. Trouble is that it can not run some new software.

I'll have to go see a friend who owns a PC store to see if I can get a business based platform windows system when I upgrade. He does repairs and installs systems for government and hospitals. I don't mind paying three hundred or more dollars for a good operating system with a back up disk where modification can be done to get rid of distractions. But does one even exist anymore?

Does anyone know of a good windows system without all the bells and windows? There has to be one of you guys who works on commercial business computers. I don't really want to start creating my own operating system, I could do it if I studied it a while but would rather concentrate on other things. I know how to use Linux but don't like that too much either. Maybe Linux has improved over the years though.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Which Windows are you talking about?

7 or 8

On 7 you can get rid of that pin app stuff and you can revert back to having normal windows.

Oh and Quick Launch.

I use Linux Mint with my desktop similar to windows 98

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hi op

Ubuntu is a decent alternative..in linux

as for the probs
Cut down the processes or use a free tool from mr torrent

That side bar used to be annoying

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yes... windows 7 / 64-bit.

It's modern. And it's still pretty simple to use.

That is, assuming your bad experience is coming from using windows-8, which is understandable as it's interface is just plain horror.

Oh and you can still find some PC's that come with 7 online such as newegg.com
edit on 4-4-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Or he can just buy windows 7 or do what ever he thinks is right thing to do to obtain windows 7.

instead of buying a new laptop/computer.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75
Yes... windows 7 / 64-bit.

It's modern. And it's still pretty simple to use.

That is, assuming your bad experience is coming from using windows-8, which is understandable as it's interface is just plain horror.

Oh and you can still find some PC's that come with 7 online such as newegg.com
edit on 4-4-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

I would second this. Buy Windows 7 64-bit pro, and make it look like Win 2000, if that's the look you like. It's fast, stable, and I have had zero problems with it. The computer industry is my living. 7 is the best thing Microsoft has ever done. Windows 8 is the worst thing they have ever done, interface wise(imo).

An additional thought. Pull the original hard drive from that laptop, and store it. Replace it with a 256GB solid state drive, and that machine will be unbelievably fast and efficient. Just be sure and turn scheduled defragmenting off.
edit on 4/4/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hi rickymouse, id also like to recommend Windows 7 64 bit. Its a real pleasure to use and while it does have a few more bell's and whistles than the earlier versions its super stable and very very easy to manage on a daily basis.

The Home premium , professional and ultimate versions are all great.

This page comapares the versions and Compare Windows 7

edit on 8-4-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join