It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Store owner arrested for using food stamps to stock shelves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This is just one of many incidents across the nation. More and more people are abusing the system openly. This is just one case where in reality there are thousands across the nation selling their WIC stamps for booze, drugs etc etc. Some of the third world countries have state outlets to distribute the groceries for the poor and low income families. Not that it is a perfect system as internal corruption is rampant in those countries as well. They should have commissaries for people on the WIC program to use it for legitimate purposes. More and more of the 'handouts' are abused on a daily basis due to economic conditions.

A convenience store owner in Daytona Beach, Fla.was arrested Monday for running a food stamp scam, using tax dollars to stock his shelves.

Bassam Abu Diab and his son Matthew were buying food stamp cards for 20 to 40 cents on the dollar and using them to shop at Walmart and Save-A-Lot stores for items they sold in their convenience store, police said, according the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

An undercover agent sold EBT cards to Abu Diab, which he used to purchase items at other stores and then paid the agent less than half the value of the cards. Federal, state and local officers raided the Abu Diabs’ 4M Food Mart after a 3-month investigation.

“This guy is running a business on the taxpayers back,” said Daytona Beach Police Chief Michael Chitwood, according to local tv station WFTV Channel 9. “It’s a fraud. He’s unscrupulous and clearly he didn’t learn from the last time we hit the store.”

Detectives said Abu Diab’s register had $88,000 in EBT card transactions, according to WFTV.

This is the second time Abu Diab has faced the same charges, according to WFTV. The Daytona Beach News-Journal said he was accused of running a pawn shop without a license in December.

SNAP
SOURCE

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I've witnessed this more times than you can imagine. It's no wonder we're bankrupt. We live in an entitlement society, nobody wants to get out and work and earn their keep, they rather be spoon fed ignorance, and live in bliss.

edit: i haven't witnessed a store stock up, but I've seen people share their food stamps / WIC
edit on 4/3/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

There are a lot of people who do milk the system for all they
can get.There are also a lot of people who would rather have
a job,but the jobs have been outsourced and off-shored.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by eXia7

There are a lot of people who do milk the system for all they
can get.There are also a lot of people who would rather have
a job,but the jobs have been outsourced and off-shored.

That is true, but I started my own business providing my labor for various tasks. The problem is a lot of people lack skills, and they don't want to learn any. I've worked with a lot of people who lack work ethic, especially if it comes to actual physical labor.

It sucks, but I can still make money, and have a feeling of self satisfaction knowing I actually went out and tried to find work.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
its kinda funny in a way ...
pisses me off

but ironically funny none the less

dood is just making the system
work for him...
Just like the Bankers & Politicians do
yet no one is arresting them

interesting hack
I wonder who came up with it
and how many others are
employing it...
always fascinated me to see how much work
people put into getting outta work

edit on 4/3/2013 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

See what time-outs as punishment do. Instead of bringing the full force of the law against him, the first time he bilked the system, they just made it profitable for him to continue doing it.

I fear the time-out generation of kids coming of age. Laws mean nothing to a lot of them.

Des

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I just don't see how this could be!!! In another similar thread the replies are full of denial of any abuse of government funds whatsoever. It is all "poor poor people.

Maybe stop demonizing the people who are trying to do something about the abuse of the system so that people who really need help can get it.
edit on 3-4-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Great find and a big F&S for the OP!

People like this guy and those who sold him their food stamps are the real welfare cheats here in America and it's people like this who give those truly in need, a bad name. I have personally witnessed people buying and selling food stamps in the past but I've never seen a store owner use them to re-stock his store shelves. Go figure!

The funny thing is, there is a relatively easy fix to this problem that's being ignored. Here in Texas, we no longer issue paper food stamps of old. Once qualified for welfare assistance, the recipient is issued a "Lone Star Card" which acts like a debit card for purchases that qualify under the food stamp assistance program. Problem is that their "Lone Star Card" doesn't have their photo on it which enables anyone to use it. Just put the food stamp recipient's photo on his/her food stamp card and at the very least, it would be much harder for the program to be abused.

Prosecuting those who would illegally purchase welfare benefits from program recipients, like the store owner cited in the source article, is also a "must do" and jail time should be mandatory for such offenses. Fines will stop nothing and are just considered part of the cost of doing business.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Why should any U.S. citizen have any respect for the law? When you have system that fails to prosecute and even rewards criminal organizations like banks and hedge funds who blatantly violate scores of laws (like laundering billions in drug money) and are not even prosecuted, why should any U.S. citizen even recognize the authority of the Federal Government? This current corrupt government should be destroyed, the law breaking traitors, laughably referred to as leaders, should be lined up against the walls of the National Archives, forced to read the Constitution and Bill of Rights then be given a blind fold and optional smoke before justice is served.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Having grown up in one of the poorer states (WV), I can tell you the abuses are quite commonplace. Some people see getting aid from the government as WORK; and they see themselves as "hard working" because they have the patience to deal with the bureaucracy, and some are really good at it. I know a few people that haven't worked a day in their lives, have lived their lives by riding the entitlement bus, and are raising their children to do the same. It is sad, but in many parts Appalachia it is a way of life. Jobs are scant, but the welfare offices are open...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You have incorrect information in your OP and I have to address it.

WIC and Snap are TWO DIFFERENT programs. One is a check that you get for certain items like milk, eggs and cereal. It is for expectant mothers and their children. You get it while pregnant and then you can get it when the baby is born for a few years if need be for things like formula, which is why many get it. Formula isn't cheap and with WIC you get quite a bit so it helps many with low income homes. It isn't permanent either, you can only get it for so long. It has to do with the age of the child I believe. Snap is the food stamp card which looks like a debit card, that is for food. WIC you need to present an ID card to even use it in the store, you can't sell your WIC checks to someone else. You could but it isn't as easy to use someone else's WIC esp if the store follows procedure on WIC identification. The food stamp/ebt card yes you could because it only requires a pin number to use.

I remember when food stamps were in a booklet and it was paper money basically, it was just as easy to sell those too if one wanted to but these cards seem to cause more fraud. I have my own theory on that but that is another thread.
These EBT Snap cards come with a balance that is either for food or cash. Yes they have a cash option on these cards but you have to qualify for that option. The money is loaded electronically once a month. It is tied to a bank, JPMorgan Chase.

So the two are very different and this guy didn't abuse WIC he abused SNAP the food stamp program.

Now on to those who say do away with these programs or that all people on assistance are lazy. Well I hope you never have to need assistance in your life. I hope you never lose your job unexpectedly or get sick unexpectedly and lose your job or lose your income period! I get very offended by these remarks and it takes ALOT to offend me. I am a recipient of government assistance and I'm not ashamed. It has really helped and I'm thankful there is a program like this. I paid into this program for years while working and never thought it was bad or needed canceling because I know there are honest people out there who appreciate the help!

It is the first time in my life I have ever needed any help financially for anything esp food. I am 34 yrs old and expecting my first child in June. I was let go from my job because I am pregnant. You think I enjoyed that? You think I wanted that? NO! I wanted to work! I am not the sit on my rear type and take handouts. I didn't mind my job and I enjoyed it. I actually like working and earning something and being productive. It got me out of the house and I made some money and it wasn't much, less than $200 a week but I worked and contributed. My fiancee works overseas and pays all the major bills. My income was used for things like food and stuff around the house so losing it hurt, every dollar mattered. I am very good at budgeting but you can't budget 0!! So on the advice of a friend I applied and was approved. I didn't want to get assistance because I was embarrassed at first but I'm not now. I am grateful. That is why programs like this are good, they really do help people and not everyone abuses these programs. Sadly many do but there are those like me who dont and there are those like me who APPRECIATE it. I could never abuse it and I think it is very wrong of people who do. I'm in an area that was very much affected by the shuttle program ending. The economy here tanked so bad in 2008 and jobs are very scarce. When you do find a position that is open you are also in line with literally hundreds of other applicants no joke. Right now nobody will hire me because I am pregnant and I do understand that but it still sucks. I like working and when you could find a second job easily I had one. I had 3 jobs at one point in my life. I didn't mind it, they were all so different so it didn't seem repetitive.

Anyway right now I needed help so I applied for it. I get WIC and I get Food Stamps and believe me it's not much, $169 bucks a month but you know what I am grateful and thankful. With what they give me and how I shop it's like double that a month and it really helps. I shop only when an item is on sale
I would never sell or abuse this for anything. Those who do are ungrateful and have self entitlement issues. I have known people to live off the system and it makes me sick. For every person who is lying one person is denied who is honest and truthful. It is really messed up.

I live in FL and I actually lived in Daytona Beach for yrs, right now I'm about an hour south. I am not surprised in the least bit about this story. FL has such a high rate of welfare fraud it's unreal!!! I can't tell you what I've seen and it just makes me so mad. I have seen and known people to brag about how they cheat the system. I am not pleasant either when someone states this in my presence. I think it's wrong and I let them know.

So before you go trash talking everyone on assistance think if it were you who needed it.
edit on 4/3/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The system is setup to work for the big boy crooks, not the small fry trying to make a living.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

“This guy is running a business on the taxpayers back,” said Daytona Beach Police Chief Michael Chitwood, according to local tv station WFTV Channel 9. “It’s a fraud. He’s unscrupulous and clearly he didn’t learn from the last time we hit the store.”

This is a joke, right? What about the "too big to fail" banks who are running rampant with corruption and abuse? What about corporate giants? What about those useless government programs? Don't worry, folks, we got the REAL bad guy! The guy who we set up then busted.

Typical hypocrisy.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Capitalism meets the entitlement society. Is anyone surprised? It's been going on forever.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
I've witnessed this more times than you can imagine. It's no wonder we're bankrupt. We live in an entitlement society, nobody wants to get out and work and earn their keep, they rather be spoon fed ignorance, and live in bliss.

edit: i haven't witnessed a store stock up, but I've seen people share their food stamps / WIC
edit on 4/3/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

Please think a little bit harder.

Welfare, foodstamps, etc combined are NOT EVEN A TINY FRACTION of the US's debt.

Why do you want to blame poor people for making the USA broke, when it's the rich people who are responsible for TRILLIONS of dollar of debt, the people abusing food stamps and welfare don't even register on that scale.

it's no wonder we're bankrupt, people like you are so easy to trick into thinking it's the fault of poor people, while the rich rape you and everyone else, and you support it!

so, so, so sad.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Capitalism meets the entitlement society. Is anyone surprised? It's been going on forever.

No i'm not surprised.The people who feel entitled are the filthy rich criminals that bring no value to society, and milk this country for trillions of dollars, and are even supported by the government.

Evidently people like you support the rich people stealing money from the government (and by extension the people) yet get upset when the little guy does it with a few pennies.

If this guy stole billions from the taxpayers would you support him?

That seems to be how it works. scam the government out of a few thousand dollars and you are looked at as scum. Scam the government out of billions, and the country looks up to you and respects you, they somehow think you are bringing value to society, when actually all they do is steal value from society, on a mind boggling scale.

While I dont support anyone who would scam foodstamps or welfare, until the people who are literally running this country into the ground get caught and stopped, it's pointless to focus on the guys like in the OP's story. Its like having your whole house burning down, and instead of calling the fire department you are freaking out about a vase you broke. Yeah, the vase broke, that sucks, but YOUR HOUSE IS BURNING DOWN, EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IS GOING TO BE GONE, but go ahead, focus on the broken vase, while the whole house burns down around you. dont blame the arsonist, blame the guy who knocked your vase over. so very logical and reasonable.....not.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Entitlement society.

Insider trading by the congressional members that make the laws.
Waivers from obozocare - the first are the congressional members, and of course, the prez and his cabinet.
Gun control for us peon citizens - the political class will always have their armed gaurds - in fact, the obozo just gave himself life-long SS protections with the stroke of his pen.

How many other points can you add?

Oh, yeah - my personal favorite - monsanto writing it's own protection bill passed by those misanthropes of congress.

Big pharma and Big insurance wrote the obozocare along with the apollo alliance - funded by george soros - enemy of any soveriegn nation on earth.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
its late and i only have one arm to type.

govt should provide staples for poor people willing to trudge out to a crappy "state store" and cook their own meals.

i go to the store and have to price shop and eat crap like peanuts when i prefer cashews. then i look over and a cleanly dressed couple has a cart over the top with overpriced junkfood...paying with wic. it's the big day for babydaddy or whomever to show up for some prime rib and lobster. new $100 sneakers and nailjobs not withstanding. im vegetarian, fwiw and my diet is a bit more expensive.

what happened to bread and circus? now thats not good enough?

i say, how about food stamps allocated on body mass index? kill 2 birds, obesity and dependence. maybe the system is rigged to toss food companies a bone.

well, regardless that kind of food is a waste. id rather see more food distributed, not less.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by James1982

Entitlement society.

Insider trading by the congressional members that make the laws.
Waivers from obozocare - the first are the congressional members, and of course, the prez and his cabinet.
Gun control for us peon citizens - the political class will always have their armed gaurds - in fact, the obozo just gave himself life-long SS protections with the stroke of his pen.

How many other points can you add?

Oh, yeah - my personal favorite - monsanto writing it's own protection bill passed by those misanthropes of congress.

Big pharma and Big insurance wrote the obozocare along with the apollo alliance - funded by george soros - enemy of any soveriegn nation on earth.

I'm not really sure where you are standing on this topic... your first post made me think you were against welfare programs for poor folks and were under the impression those were the people destroying your country.

then this post seems like you understand it's those at the top destroying it, not those at the bottom

So all I can say is that I have no idea how to respond as I'm not really sure if you are agreeing with me or arguing against me.

On the topic at hand, foodstamps for instance, I honestly don't understand why they need to actually give out foodstamps, or money on a card, or whatever. If their goal is to feed the poor, simply take all that money being used for food stamps and open up a "free store" that's stocked with healthy fruits, veggies, and meats, and the people who are on foodstamps simply get their food at these "free stores" instead of using foodstamps to buy food at regular stores.

This would totally eliminate the issue of people selling/trading their foodstamps because there wouldn't be foodstamps, there would just be food. They would be sure that the people who need food are getting it. The people looking to take advantage of the system would likely be cut down, as the process to get free food, and sell food for cash is far more difficult than simply selling food stamps. The health of the poor would increase as they aren't buying processed high sugar foods, but instead are given healthy alternatives. This would further cut costs as there would be less strain on the medical system due to a healty diet. If someone complains about being given free fruits and veggies, and meats, then they don't deserve any help in the first place.Hell, even having a co op farm or something were people on foodstamps go to help harvest and raise livestock would be even better. They would learn a valuable skill, eat healthy food, get some physical activity to further improve health and get rid of people who take advantage of the system. That's allowing someone to help themselves instead of simply throwing money at the problem.

but throwing the baby out with the bathwater (getting rid of programs to help the poor and needy) won't help anything. we need to simply change how we help those people.
edit on 4-4-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You've got it all wrong in the States, you don't know what you're doing.

If you want to stop people swapping their food stamps for alcohol you need to adopt the English model.

In the UK if you're out of work and an alcoholic you are entitled to a special benefit of £20 per day beer money.

Yes I kid you not, not only do we give them free housing, not require them to pay the taxes that the rest of us have to (like council tax), give them free money, etc, we also pay them to go and get drunk each day.

The Human race has reached the end of it's useful existence on this planet and Mother Nature will soon eradicate her error.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join