It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The law will require New Yorkers to put no more than seven rounds in a 10-bullet magazine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The law will require New Yorkers to put no more than seven rounds in a 10-bullet magazine

Yeah. You thought I made that up just to be cute.

No. I did not make this law up. This law goes under the heading of 'Governor Cuomo is NOT a Gun Scientist.'

Follow along very carefully as to why Cuomo's '7 Round Magazine Capacity' law will be suspended indefinitely in taking effect in New York.

New York manufacturers do NOT make seven round magazines. Never have. Never will, so they say. They DO make ten round capacity magazines. Which Cuomo is attempting to outlaw. But the law can NOT make manufacturers start manufacturing something they don't manufacture. Ergo, seven round capacity magazines.

The answer: New Yorkers must promise to put no more than seven rounds into their ten round capacity magazine.

Scout's honor and all that.

No. I can't make this stuff up.

Gun magazine bullet limit to be suspended

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A key element of New York's gun control law appears as if it will have to depend a great deal on the honor system.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says New York will suspend the April 15 effective date to ban the sale of magazines holding more than 7 bullets.

(And we all know how honest New Yorkers can be....)

www.chron.com...

edit on Mon Mar 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Will if effect the cops or will they be exempt?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by coltcall

(And we all know how honest New Yorkers can be....)

Oh yeah so thats how it is huh? Wanna elaborate?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Cops are exempt on-duty...they have to ditch the good mags and use wimpy mags off-duty. That is from a retied NYPD detective I know in the area up there who is in the middle of all this for resisting and fighting.

It's also my understanding that they can, very much, force this change in manufacture. They can't literally stand at the plant and tell the manager "YOU WILL MAKE THESE!". However, they can and will tell them the same thing California does on it's endless product regulations for their special in-state rules. If they'd like to ever sell magazines in New York state again, they'll produce a compliant product to sell.

Forced? I'd say so...but in a legal way. What I've read also indicates existing magazines have to have a physical process to block accepting more than 7 rounds. I suppose we'll see retrofit kits to block the box, so to speak. The same way a pump shotgun is physically limited for ammo in bird hunting with a wood plug. I'm guessing NYS won't allow it to be quite that temporary though.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Thats what they are trying to do, but the messed up part and the one that has everyone upset is they are trying to include retired and off duty cops as well. Which I am sorry but if your a retired cop your no different than the average citizen. Oh and add in vets as well they don't want to include them into the exemption which is pretty messed up.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They want a permanent modification thats not easily converted back and thats about as vague as a description as they will give. Seems they want people to not be able to figure out how to keep themselves out of trouble if you get what I mean. Now whats gonna be an interesting topic is the 20 round magazine I have that was converted at the factory to a 10 round meaning it can only accept 10 rounds but physically looks like a 20 rounder. What is that gonna fall under I wonder, and this mag was purchased years ago so it's not something that was purchased within the past few months, well before the current law change. For me though that baby has a spot empty in the safe until they figure out everything and make the law either void or a little more clear. You couldn't pay me enough to take that to the range or even have it loaded in the safe ready for home defense. Which is really annoying for us folks here in NYS, nobody wants to be the guinea pig here so most folks I know have not been out to the range in a while because of all the grey area right now, not to mention the shortage of ammo up here in all calibers.
edit on 25-3-2013 by jaynkeel because: fix spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Personally, I think we need to look at the top lawmakers in New York State and then all their family and friends for connections into the people who manufacture after market ammunition magazines. I see NO reason to have changed from 10 to 7 outside of an enormous change over to replace every single magazine that exists in the state. As so many have noted, almost NOTHING loads 7 rounds or less. Bolt action fixed magazines are 3-5 in my experience ...and I actually do have a mini-14 5rd magazine I'm saving to sell someday. I don't have the rifle anymore.

Aside from that? 3 round difference?? Really??? What difference does 3 rounds make anyway? 30 rounds down to 10? At least they can make a coherent argument with something approaching logic. It's bad logic and wrong out the gate, but it CAN sound logical. 7 rounds though? Bahhh..... Someone found a magic pill to create MASSIVE demand for a product that doesn't exist yet ..and I'll bet...you'll see a couple specialty companies fill the need for.

I'll bet those specialty companies were tooling for it before the law passed too...and will, golly, have coincidental connections to those I mention above. What do ya bet?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Political stroking, and population dividing. That's all it is.
edit on 25-3-2013 by zayonara because: forgot a space after the comma.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yea can't put 8 cause 9 killed 10

I have a mossberg 500 with a extended clip (I bought it like that)

N a sks that holds 10 wtf am I suppose to do?

I don't get y 7 tho y not 5 to odd it out even ? Makes no sense stupid ny I swear man hate this state they take everything from u

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh I wouldn't doubt someone in the know is ready and set to make money off of it. Thats an almost guarantee with the way these people operate. Cuomo decided on the 7 round limit just to be a pain in the ass is what I think though, more than likely. He has been working the gun law angle for 20yrs rest assured he had this current law written up some time ago just itching at the opportunity to put it into effect. I don't believe for one second that this was just drafted recently. But either way we are giving him hell and will continue until this ends up on the trash bin of history. Many and I mean many folks here are outraged and are ready to go to war with these idiots, all it's gonna take is 1 more issue stepping on our toes and all bets are off.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Thats what they are trying to do, but the messed up part and the one that has everyone upset is they are trying to include retired and off duty cops as well. Which I am sorry but if your a retired cop your no different than the average citizen.
reply to post by jaynkeel

Actually you are so wrong on that.

This new Federal law exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from local and State prohibitions on the carrying of concealed firearms while off-duty across state lines
LINK
My father is a retired cop and he has to go periodically to the range and basically be re-certified. So there is how they are different.
Oh yea and one little odd fact. Yesterday I learned that I own a five round mag for my AR, it is a hunting magazine to boot! The ignorant masses don't know but you can hunt with a AR-15 in NY. The mag looks like a ten round but has been blocked. Easy enough to turn it back into a ten rounder but I mat want to go shoot some coyotes with it at some point.
edit on 25-3-2013 by hangedman13 because: more fuel

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

The Federal laws on Interstate Transportation of a Firearm SHOULD be respected in New York as well. That's hit and miss and there are truckers in jail cells today that prove that to be uncomfortably true. Every couple years the trade papers would run another story about a trucker who got jacked by New York cops over a gun being properly carried in terms of interstate transportation regulations ...but in New York? Well.... A gun outside the home or business without a NEW YORK permit is a felony. 15 years worth if it's loaded. It's also a crime in the home..but only a misdemeanor there.

Shouldn't be that way.... but there ya go

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Are you sure they won't just make it illegal to own guns with more than a 7 round capacity? There are many guns with 6+1 and 7+1 capacities.

All they would have to do is create a block that you slide into the bottom of your magazine that fills up the space of three rounds. You would just put the piece in when you take your clip apart. Anyone want to manufacture these with me and make some monies lol?
edit on 25-3-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by coltcall
No. I did not make this law up. This law goes under the heading of 'Governor Cuomo is NOT a Gun Scientist.'

No he is no gunsmith - which would be I think what you are trying to get at. However, he is a very savvy politician with a great set of liberal lawyers who designed the law to give LEO probable cause to stop and search every person with a firearm based on the fact it is capable of holding 10 rounds...

How are they to know unless they check right?

The law was carefully crafted to allow a LEO probable cause to stop and search every legal firearm owner every time they are seen to create a deterrent to people even people with lawful permits that would make it a hassle to concealed carry. Eventually people will get fed up with being stopped (most likely frisked, disarmed and detained while a NAC is run) for exercising a right – it’s simple conditioning.

I hope this whole mess gets trashed followed by all their political careers but given its NY and primarily the people of NYC who vote for these assholes I don't think it’s likely.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I'm personally wondering how long the cops put up with it? My retired friend sounds as though the cops themselves are as pissed or more so than the general public. First they get their names and addresses dumped into the public domain where many of them live over in New Jersey and talk of it being done the same in New York State?

Then..they get told (and apparently they have been told this) they are citizens to follow the law like everyone else off duty. Oh.. that went over well. Look at the bright side though? They have REASON now to be as pissed as us but WITH US this time. This law was extremely short sighted and ignorant in that way alone, if nothing else.

...and just to put a cherry on their cupcake, now they get to roust innocent people on a regular basis? I don't know how many cops you know Golf..but I imagine you've known a few in your life. How many are going to be happy with THAT assignment? No one likes getting B.S., especially when it's well founded and the cop himself is as likely to be the one GIVING the crap when the Uniform is off and they get screwed with just the same, by others.

I'm thinking this dim bulb of an idea won't stand for a law very long. It's just FAR too much for what it seems the public is willing to tolerate out of the pencil pushers. Even in that state.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Hey, as long as the crazy killer wackos abide by this law I'm all for it.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Golf66

I'm personally wondering how long the cops put up with it? My retired friend sounds as though the cops themselves are as pissed or more so than the general public. First they get their names and addresses dumped into the public domain where many of them live over in New Jersey and talk of it being done the same in New York State?

I am not one for sympathizing with the "man" - hell I was the "man" in lots of sandy places. Sometimes the only and supreme law too. That is why I carry a firearm - my face and name are known to groups and individuals who want me dead. Just like those cops. If have to have my name on a registry and get a "mother may I" and prove my "proficiency" to someone who in all likely hood has no comparative basis to judge my firearms skill after 24 years in SF then so should they. I think its justice they get outed like the common man. What makes their ID more protected than a stalking victim who gets a CCW?

Then..they get told (and apparently they have been told this) they are citizens to follow the law like everyone else off duty. Oh.. that went over well. Look at the bright side though? They have REASON now to be as pissed as us but WITH US this time. This law was extremely short sighted and ignorant in that way alone, if nothing else.

New York is living their dream IMO - reaping what they have sown. The NYPD are a bunch of incompetent thugs for the most part. I watched a video where 3 of them shot at some guy (like 10 feet away) with a knife like 35 times and missed all but once (hitting several bystanders for good measure) - if anyone needs more range time its them.

I will never be able to carry a firearm in NYC and I have more skill and training than any of these yahoos.

I personally think that all firearms laws should apply to LEOs as well. They are not military they don't "need" suppressive fire capability (full auto) in a law enforcement engagement every round should be aimed fire I doubt they go into free fire zones where they know everyone in a certain area is a bad guy. Off duty cops should have the same limitations as I do with my CCW - no schools, no court house, no business who has a no-firearms
sign.

...and just to put a cherry on their cupcake, now they get to roust innocent people on a regular basis? I don't know how many cops you know Golf..but I imagine you've known a few in your life. How many are going to be happy with THAT assignment? No one likes getting B.S., especially when it's well founded and the cop himself is as likely to be the one GIVING the crap when the Uniform is off and they get screwed with just the same, by others.

I would like to see them get stopped and frisked as often as the people of NYC so they could see what it was like... I think we both know one flash of the badge and a wink and there will be no checks or inspections of any magazines - law or no. The blue line and all that jazz. One can hope I guess. Like they will cite each other for the extra rounds - I think not.

I don't think the law will last either but I hope it is inconvenient as hell for the LEOs while it is in effect so that all those who advocate this SS style NY gun control realize the error of their ways.

When I was a PI in NC I'd sometimes get the cops called on me when pursing a dead beat dad (dudes get down-right irate or conducting surveillance (Yeah, I know embarrassing every time but without a team it really is hard to not get made.) the cops would come and disarm me despite the permit every damn time "you know for their safety". Like I'm going to shoot up some cops over a disturbance call... Once I got the full zip cuff treatment even after showing CCW and PI credentials "for their safety". Never happened in Fayetteville where I did most of the work (as I knew most of their force working with them all the time) it seemed to always happen in Raleigh-Durham or Myrtle or Charlotte and almost always by black cops. Dunno why but it was a trend I noticed. Here in MO - I practice but rural and I know all 5 of the Deputies (I know right 5) they never have even asked about my firearm. I never got any professional courtesy from big city boys – I say let em eat cake. I make a call and tell them where I'll be working and if they get a call they pretty much let me do my thing.

edit on 25/3/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Hey, as long as the crazy killer wackos abide by this law I'm all for it.

I think they would see unarmed or nerfed as an open door of opportunity. If this pic isn't photoshopped it does make one pause.

www.trapshooters.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Well, we definitely will disagree about the NYPD overall. I don't live there and I'm sure being "a part" of New York is a whole different world of living. Trucking took me in and out quite a bit for a few years though, so I got to see the worse areas more often than I would have liked ...and bad parts of town are where the cops are. New York was like Chicago for the cops as far as I personally saw. Mostly guys who looked about as happy to be doing what they were doing as I was and about as happy to get off-duty when the time came.

The NYPD's current uniformed strength is approximately 34,500.

(Source: NYPD Website)

If you have only a 5% corruption rate? Which I'd call almost ridiculously low for an estimate....That's still over 1,700 criminals who found their way into getting a badge. Plenty to make it too common to run into. There are small cities that don't have that large a total population though. Given the added problem of what I'd call a straight political administration in the police department, I'd say far too many idiots and people out for themselves from day 1 get in. That doesn't make over 34,000 people all equally bad though. New York would also be Mad Max mixed with Blade Runner without them, IMO. Just a thought. (If they got better leadership.......? Hmmmm)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Someone explain to the New York legislators that a seven round capacity magazine won't work in a six shot revolver.....duh...........

The more they try to talk about guns and gun parts, the dumber they look like one of the Feinstein Wives.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join