It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any choral singers here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I have a question and as I am too embarrassed to bring to the right person (my choral director) I thought maybe one of you might have some experience with this. I sing in the university choir at the college i attend. I am a music major (vocal performance), why I don't know as I am far too old at 31 to even think about a stage career. Nonetheless, I am going to finish it. My main problem is this: My voice is way too big. I feel like it's rather unruly and when I am in choir I feel like it just sticks out like a sore thumb. I sing Soprano II but most of the music doesn't divide anyway. I'm surrounded by 18 to 22 year old women with these light, pretty little voices and I personally feel completely out of place. I have this way too dark, ugly sort of sound (it's soprano though, doesn't break in the right places or have the right quality for mezzo). My choir director has never once complained to me about that sound, but I wonder...How do you blend in better? Or do you just not worry about it and stick out?

And if you have no experience at all you can just call me a nitwit or something, that's fine too.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Are there recordings of your group's performances?
That might give you a different perspective of your own sound.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

No, I'm afraid not. The good doctor has never recorded it. Sometimes, I think i'm just overly self-conscious, but I can't be entirely sure I'm not just singing it wrong.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Originally posted by antoniaAnd if you have no experience at all you can just call me a nitwit or something, that's fine too.

I don't think you're a nitwit, but thank you for the option. (Is consensual name calling within the T&C's?)

Do you sing using your stomach-breathing technique?

That way one can control the volume of ones voice, while always having enough power in the voice.

Never sing through the throat.

Sorry if I sound condesending or strange, I'm not used to talking about singing.
I am not classicly trained past Grade 8 London school of Speech and Drama.

I am but a lowly Street-Musician.

Singer and Guitarist.

I sing quietly under the archway

and loudly into the forest.

Not Nitwit.

edit on 24/3/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: namaste

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

If you refer to low breathing, yes. I can't say it's consistent as when you are getting in some of the more fluid baroque passages you can just flat out forget to breathe. It happens a lot lol. I do try to take good low breaths though. If I don't breath well enough I tend to under-sing and that's when I get yelled at. Ironically, I get softer when I under-sing and the tone becomes rather thin.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I think every group performer is a little self conscious!
It's been a really really long time. But I did sing in Chorus, and played brass, mostly trumpet, in band from elementary, through high-school. One thing that stands out from those years is the first time I heard a recording of our performance. Until then I had to rely on my own ears, or what other people said, like the conductor or director.
The different perspective it brought was extremely helpful. You get to hear as others hear you, rather than what your own head is telling you. Do you think there is a possibility of getting a recording?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I could probably just do it myself when we are rehearsing and see if I stick out then. It's a good suggestion and I'll try it tomorrow. You are right that our own ear can be rather deceptive most of the time.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
If your choir director is any good then they should be able to identify whether your sticking out in a way that is bringing down the choir. Truthfully... if no one has said anything then your probably doing just fine!

I used to think the same way..but then I figured out that I'm just paying too much attention to myself. Try focusing on other peoples voices while your sing instead of your own and see if that helps. Good Luck

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

I'll keep that in mind. You are probably right about the director. If he isn't yelling at me then I probably shouldn't yell at myself. As for listening to the others, I think that is where my problem comes from. They are all very young. I'm 31 and well...over the hill. So, i feel very different from them vocally speaking. There is a lot more "darkness" in my tone and frankly, I'm the kind of woman who can sing you off a chair. Not these ladies, they have those nice, light, pretty voices. If I had started schooling a bit younger I would probably be in Europe with a pair of horns on my head and spear singing Wagner by now (although really 31 is too young for that, but opera has truly gone to the dogs lately). Next semester I'm probably going to beg for the Alto section even though I crap out at Ab under middle c. I really wouldn't stick out so badly there.
edit on 24-3-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

This is signing your talking about! You should be having fun and letting the music take over! Don't look down on yourself because you have a mature tone! It's bad to compare yourself to someone else...especially when signing. It shouldn't be about one voice but the collection of voices!

Stop thinking so much...

and

Let the music be an escape...

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cavedweller88

I understand where you are coming from. It's very difficult for me to do that as I'm a perfectionist. It's not healthy, but it is what it is.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I love the song "Ave Maria" by Schubert.

And that is a beautiful version of it in your signature.

edit on 24/3/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: there is a reason for everything

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Oh thank you for pointing that out to me...how embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Maybe try singing quietly or softer. I know you have to belt it out, or that soprano is naturally because of high pitch and frequency, projective, or piercing, or you need to put a lot of energy into hitting those notes and holding them. But my only insight could be, to try and practice not putting so much bursting energy into singing, try a calmer approach, organic,. If you want to sing like the sweet little voices you described, think about what they must be doing physically to get that sound, probably just taking it a bit more easily.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

So after taking your advice and recording rehearsal, I found I am probably just being a little hard on myself. It didn't sound like I was the only one in the section so, I should probably just give myself a break. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
wow, you did it already?!
That's excellent. I'm glad you were able to hear that point of view.
So are you going to post the recording?

just kidding...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

No, i did it with my cell phone lol. I do have some solo recordings, but I would probably hang myself before I posted that. I'm not very good.
edit on 25-3-2013 by antonia because: opps

top topics

join