It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There will be cameras everywhere....whether you like it or not

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We're going to have more visibility and less privacy': Mayor Bloomberg admits soon NYPD surveillance cameras will be on nearly every corner and in the air

'You wait, in five years, the technology is getting better, they’ll be cameras everyplace . . . whether you like it or not,' Bloomberg said Friday. 'The argument against using automation is just this craziness that 'Oh, it’s Big Brother.' Get used to it!'

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

The arrogance of the man, "Whether you like it or not"...yet again showing that the policymakers could care less about the citizens they are supposed to represent. So with all these cameras, do you think crime will be reduced? Will those cameras make you any safer as someone is assaulting you?

Yet again these words hold true:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Government doesn't care about the people, they care about big business and the "donations" they receive.....no longer do they fear the people, no wonder they try to take away firearms from common citizens, no wonder they want to monitor everything we do.
edit on 23-3-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They should probably just put cameras in our living rooms. You know, for safety and security.

Flag for you for the quote; one of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
sounds like he wants to watch...?

i should think it would be easy to send a mixed infusion of light to interfere w/ the camera - anyone?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Indeed, I always wondered how the governments can let people live unsupervised in their own homes as you can do so many 'illegal' things there... tut tut /end sarcasm

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
They should probably just put cameras in our living rooms. You know, for safety and security.

Flag for you for the quote; one of my favorites.

They are developing "smart televisions" with face recognition" apps. So yes, they are going to put them in your living rooms.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

I imagine if you did that you would be arrested.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Why is this a problem to anyone?

Most have a camera, microphone, GPS tracking device, and personal data storage log recording EVERYTHING done and everywhere gone all the time.
It's called a cell phone, and yes, Big Brother can and will use it for any or no reason at all, even if you turn it off, and you'll never know it.

As long as anyone has a cell phone, they got zero room to complain about cameras in public when they willingly take Big Brother right up inside their own homes with them and everywhere else they go.

Besides that, the cameras are PUBLIC, just like people's eyeballs.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

Indeed, I always wondered how the governments can let people live unsupervised in their own homes as you can do so many 'illegal' things there... tut tut /end sarcasm

We all clearly need more supervision.

Love the water bear in your av. Star for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

'You wait, in five years, the technology is getting better, they’ll be cameras everyplace . . . whether you like it or not,' Bloomberg said Friday. 'The argument against using automation is just this craziness that 'Oh, it’s Big Brother.' Get used to it!'

He's saying that 'high tech' surveillance is a form of automation - I guess this just demonstrates his ignorance - his lack of understanding, or is it merely a reflection of his arrogance reminiscent of his predecessor Guliani?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
There has to be a way to reroute one of their live streams to a camera at the bottom of my toilet.
Or maybe not with these sick bastards.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What can I say

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I put up a thread yesterday pertaining to this very news story.....

Bloomberg calls domestic drones ‘scary’—but inevitable

This is a sad fact of what our future holds for us all, and sadly there is nothing we can do to stop it.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Why is this a problem to anyone?

Most have a camera, microphone, GPS tracking device, and personal data storage log recording EVERYTHING done and everywhere gone all the time.
It's called a cell phone, and yes, Big Brother can and will use it for any or no reason at all, even if you turn it off, and you'll never know it.

As long as anyone has a cell phone, they got zero room to complain about cameras in public when they willingly take Big Brother right up inside their own homes with them and everywhere else they go.

Besides that, the cameras are PUBLIC, just like people's eyeballs.

Not possible. Turn a phone off, and it's off. There isn't a phone on the planet that records everything - no point saying there is. It's not big brother, it's an app store, and you use it, or you don't.

why so paranoid! of course you can turn it off. Unless you think 'they' have found some way to make a phone work without electricity!! if it's off, it's not draining the battery, and it's doing nothing and big brother is not spying on you.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

They are developing "smart televisions" with face recognition" apps. So yes, they are going to put them in your living rooms.

This comment made me think of why I unhooked my kinect. I don't know why, but, I never felt right about it being able to see our movements.

The day my television recognizes me, is the day I will no longer have a tv.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
First: I do not like the idea of cameras everywhere. I do not want it to happen. Too Orwellian. In the sky? drones hovering at every intersection, eyes everywhere. And then when there "appears" to be a crime, which really isn't...

To play devil's advocate (but it's a point that just dawned on me and with which i agree):

We really have no expectation of privacy when we are in public anyway, so the privacy argument is moot.

This does not speak to the fact that the camera might catch is in the privacy of our homes, in which case we really don't have a legal crutch, if the camera is in public and we fail to close our blinds, or we want to sit on our porches and [snip snip blah blah], which may or may not be legal..

That said, cameras seem to suggest that everyone is a potential criminal, not matter the justification for it, such as "catching crime on tape (or hard disk. or chip) ."

Le sigh.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I'm glad Bloomberg is going public with all this.

Question is, will the sheeple see him for the dictatorial tyrant that he is or will they co-operate with their typical sheepish mentality "it has to be done, its for the good of the sheeple".

The best part is when they "coincidentally" stop working, like at the Pentagon on 9/11, at the UK train station when police assassinated the Brazilian etc.

edit on 23-3-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Having cameras everywhere is like a coin with two side. Of course, it means having less privacy, although whether it is beneficial or not depends on the people who are currently in power and who control the cameras.

It can bring extreme benefits. With cameras everywhere, lots of crimes would be eliminated. Also all it would lessen reckless drivers. I would love when the speed-measuring cameras would be everywhere and unnoticed. It would make the city into a far less dangerous place to live. Often I notice,that the people who tend to be more reckless /criminal, tend to be more against such cameras, asking their right for privacy (although using it to rob the stores and pickpocket....). I have nothing to hide, so in that sense, I would not mind if there were cameras everywhere. I would not mind having installed in my home, which authorities can reach, IF I knew for sure that it will be used only in situations where something highly illegal has happened in my home (for example, murder) and no one else has the autority or ability to see the cameras whenever they want to.

Although the benefits would only work in an utopic land. The system we have, tends to be corrupt and greedy and the cameras would often be used for other reasons than lowering the crime rate, especially for high financial interests. These would be used to spy on people or to eliminate "dangerous" people to the current power.

Overally the camera system is like nuclear energy. It can be really useful, if used correctly, although in wrong hands, it can be one of the most lethal weapons.
edit on 23-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

For starters, cameras are already everywhere! They're already in every ATM machine, every bank, every convenience store, every Walmart... Hell, they're already inside & outside of most every commercial business in America and in a great deal of our homes as well. Not to mention the fact that almost everyone has a camera in their pocket in the form of a cell phone.

Just recently, (Feb., 22, 2013) a lone robber entered the local Walmart where I live and held up the IBC Bank branch located inside. Schools were locked down, DPS helicopters were in the air and a full-blown manhunt was underway. As you can tell from this article, in the beginning details surrounding the robber/robbery were sketchy.

www.kristv.com...

ROCKPORT - It's business as usual now inside the Walmart in Rockport after a robbery at the IBC Bank branch inside the store just after 3 this afternoon. The schools right across the street from the store were locked down as police on foot and in a DPS helicopter searched the area.

Police say a white male, about 5'8" tall, walked into the store where he waited in line at the bank. When called up by the teller he let them know they were being robbed. We do not know if the guy was armed or just handed the teller a note.

Thanks to video surveillance footage provided by both Walmart and IBC Bank and the tips that were called in to our local police depts. after airing the footage, (on Feb, 26 2013) just 4 days after the crime was committed, the lone gunman was captured in a nearby city.

The footage from the IBC Bank cameras provided a very clear picture of the robber's face, the fact that he did indeed use handgun and a good picture of what he was wearing, while the Walmart parking lot footage provided a clear picture of the taxi cab he used to flee the scene.

www.caller.com...

ROCKPORT — Federal and local authorities about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday arrested a 23-year-old man on suspicion of robbing the International Bank of Commerce in Rockport Friday, police said.

Detectives received numerous tips that led them to the Granbury man in Aransas Pass, according to a news release from Rockport Police Department.

While cameras don't always prevent crime directly, the fact that this criminal was captured and taken off the streets so quickly makes us all safer in the long run. Who knows if his next robbery would have gone off without someone being shot?

Bottom line, when you're in public spaces, you should have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Hence the term "public spaces."

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ted4d

Not possible. Turn a phone off, and it's off. There isn't a phone on the planet that records everything - no point saying there is. It's not big brother, it's an app store, and you use it, or you don't.

why so paranoid! of course you can turn it off. Unless you think 'they' have found some way to make a phone work without electricity!! if it's off, it's not draining the battery, and it's doing nothing and big brother is not spying on you.

Have you ever heard of a CMOS battery?

No?

Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Huh - I guess some of you feel that we are children that require to be monitored. These cameras do nothing to address the issues that leads these people to commit crime.

"If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature..."

My eyes have been opened as to the supposed benevolence of those in government and as the the nature of man. Be aware of what power you are giving the government, you won't always have someone who you are in agreement with who holds the reigns of power.
edit on 23-3-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join