It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most unforgettable roads in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
hi

I would like to take a drive on some of these roads, but there is a couple I would just avoid lol

Hope you enjoy
more at the link

This is Furka Pass a high mountain pass in the Swiss Alps connecting Gletsch, Valais with Realp, Uri. The Furka Pass was used as a location in the James Bond film Goldfinger

The Atlantic Road, Norway

White Rim Road, Canyonlands National Park, Utah
The White Rim Road provides you with expansive views of the surrounding area. But not without danger, this mostly dirt road requires a four-wheel-drive vehicle to make it to the end

Tianmen Mountain Road, Hunan, China
This 11 km road takes you through 99 bends that reaches the top of the mountain and takes visitors to Tianmen cave, a natural hole in the mountain at a height of 131.5 meters

Seven Mile Bridge, Florida Keys, USA
It connects Knight’s Key in the Middle Keys to Little Duck Key in the Lower Keys. Among the longest bridges in existence when it was built, it is one of the many bridges on US 1 in the Keys, where the road is called the Overseas Highway

Guoliang Tunnel Road, China
Carved along the side of and through a mountain in China

Stelvio Pass, Eastern Alps, Italy
At 2757 m (9045 feet) is the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps. Stelvio was also picked by the British automotive show Top Gear as its choice for the “greatest driving road in the world

Karakoram Highway, China/Pakistan
KKH is the highest paved international road in the world. It connects China and Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range, through the Khunjerab Pass, at an elevation of 4,693 m/15,397 ft. also referred to as the “Eighth Wonder of the World.”

Sani Pass, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Sani Pass is a notoriously dangerous road that requires the use of a 4×4 vehicle.
It does not even look driveable

Going-to-the-Sun-Road, Glacier National Park, Montana

Trollstigen, Rauma, Norway
The road is narrow with many sharp bends, and although several bends have been widened during the years 2005 to 2012, vehicles over 12.4 metres long are prohibited from driving the road

Yungas Road “The most Dangerous road in the World”, Bolivia
This deadly 35 miles road stretch between La Paz and Coroico in Bolivia is estimated to claim the lives of 200-300 travelers every year. Because of the extreme dropoffs up to 2,000 feet, single-lane width, and lack of guardrails, the road is extremely dangerous

edit on 19-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

--Emmit "Doc" Brown.

Surprised we didn't see any from Colorado in the Rockies, where I live. There is a road to a place called Maroon Bells that is an extremely pretty ride, but dangerous travel. I'll see if I can find a picture and add it.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Try driving one of these without getting the shakes.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures...and wow...some scary roads....yikes......my scariest road experience was the road to Hana in Hawaii...it was very much suggested you didn't drive there on your own....but did my new husband listen...lol...No.....I was never so scared in my life driving back to the hotel....a storm that was so intense we couldn't see.....I actually just kept my mouth shut cause I could tell he was freaked out too......

We did find some great waterfalls and great places to swim...watched an awesome sunset....but I highly recommend if you drive the road to Hana...leave before dark....great thread......

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Don't be drunk on those roads. Yikes.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Double post. -_-
edit on 20-3-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Was hard to even look at the pictures and not throw up.
I get motion sick on really curvy roads. Those look like amazing sphincter tightening rides. Beautiful and terrible. Thank you for sharing them. I had never seen some of them.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The Tail of the Dragon Deals Gap North Carolina 312 curves 11 miles 1000 foot elevation change.

The wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

The Website

tailofthedragon.com...

Really fun for a little spirited drive in a small car. Specially at MidNight.
edit on 20-3-2013 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I got a speeding ticket on the Hana Highway in 1990 (almost) - the cop stopped me on a Sunday for speeding in a school zone! Of course, I'd driven that road dozens of times (twice a day for weeks) and wasn't on one of the "bad" parts. When I told him I was going back to the mainland soon and planned on framing the ticket he decided not to write me up. I guess it could have been due to the fact I'd had a Hawaii DL back in the 70's and knew school zones aren't in force on Sundays.

ganjoa

top topics

join