It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Business lobby moves to criminalize filming animal abuse on factory farms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Bills being shopped in six states by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) would make it a crime to film animal abuse at factory farms or lie on job applications, in hopes of shutting down animal rights activists who infiltrate slaughterhouses to expose ghastly conditions.

What so they will carry on ignoring and not giving a flying *beep* about the ghastly conditions and horrendous abuse and pretend none of it happens..
So the masses will forget that the animal that their meat came from had a horrible life and suffered a great deal. All so they could consume and die. Consume and die...

“The meat industry’s response to these exposes has not been to try to prevent these abuses from taking place, but rather it’s really just been to prevent Americans from finding out about those abuses in the first place,” Paul Shapiro, spokesperson for the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), told Raw Story. “What they’re doing is trying to pass laws throughout the country that don’t just shoot the messenger, they seek to imprison the messenger.”

www.rawstory.com...

And it is not just the filming of animal abuse that they want to criminalize. They will soon be wanting to criminalize the filming of anything that records illegal activity. Par exemple; soon they will make it a crime to film police officers dealing with citizens. Especially seeing as how police brutality is on the increase in the US.

It is just pure madness.. They want to make recording and exposing illegal activities... illegal...?!

peace
fluffx

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
In Chinese, we have the perfect phrase to describe this: Yan'er-daoling, stealing a bell with both your hands over your ears.

news.959.cn...

They've covered their own ears for long enough, and now they're trying to cover everyone's. Totally ridiculous. Thanks and S&F, OP.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Business lobbies give us most of our legislation today and have done so for years.

I am convinced that there aren't any legislators in my state capitol building that give a crap about their constituents health. If they were, they would ban alcohol and tobacco products.
The only reason they ever passed a seat belt law was through the efforts (MONEY) of insurance company lobbyists.

Why would they give a crap about animals? The animal rights lobby can't compete with big business in the world of big money lobbyists.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Good morning my dear fellow ATS-ers.

And welcome to planet €arth...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I don't really think we need a bill for an invasion of privacy.
I say underhanded tactics should be illegal.
Just maybe these meat shops should be open to private panels for random spontaneous inspection, those who will not comply simply go on a list and those who are aware simply will stop buying their meats.
Vote with your wallet, capitalism at it's truest form.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
On the other hand, you cannot deal with literally hundreds of thousands of any animals (for consumption)
without some of them if not all of them suffering in the process....one way or another.....
If you want better and more humane treatment for the animals YOU EAT AND POOP OUT, then STOP EATING THEM>
People are so far removed from reality these days they just dont get it.......

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The legislation is illegal and will be toppled in courts if challenged anyway. So proceed to do the right thing folks.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I say underhanded tactics should be illegal.

So without anyone going undercover and using a camera to expose not just animal abuse, but child abuse, corruption of corporations and businesses. How would any of the abuse and corruption ever be exposed.. If people did not risk using these 'underhanded' tactics how would anything ever get exposed.. So should we just go along for the ride and let in happen..

Just maybe these meat shops should be open to private panels for random spontaneous inspection, those who will not comply simply go on a list and those who are aware simply will stop buying their meats

These slaughterhouses are already meant to be inspected..

The Federal Meat Inspection Act of 1906 (FMIA) is a United States Congress Act that works to prevent adulterated or misbranded meat and meat products from being sold as food and to ensure that meat and meat products are slaughtered and processed under sanitary conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...

However what I can note from this is that there does not seem to be anything in correlation with the living conditions of these animals or the abuse they suffer..

So where is the inspector for that..

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

On the other hand, you cannot deal with literally hundreds of thousands of any animals (for consumption) without some of them if not all of them suffering in the process....one way or another..... If you want better and more humane treatment for the animals YOU EAT AND POOP OUT, then STOP EATING THEM>

I do not eat meat. And in answer to your first comment yes you can. The people who work in these places are the ones that abuse the animals. In a way I can maybe see why. If you have worked in an industry like this you definitely have to be a certain type of person to do the job. And being constantly surrounded by death I do not think is good for anyone.. Maybe it desensitises them, to the point where they feel the only thing they can take their anger or other emotion out on is the animals in these places..

Which is not fair. And in my opinion not right. The animals did not ask to be there.. And I would imagine a surprising percentage of the workers in slaughterhouses did not ask to be there either. Through necessity and providing for a family they are there..

The people working in the slaughterhouses are removed from reality. Their reality becomes death and killing..

I think if you did a days work in a slaughterhouse you would not eat meat either...

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That's ludicrous. Why does it always seem like big business is so dam evil/greedy. Is it really so difficult to practice honest business and be successful? Or is really just too difficult to change company policies to better the way things are? Probably not...their just lazy and want an easy buck by cutting cost. %>[kers.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

Clearly they do find it very difficult to practice honest business. They do not care one iota about us or the animals.. We are disposable to them. And it is disgusting..

They keep it like that so they can make as much profit as they can. Instead they should rectify the problem of living conditions and animal abuse, and only make what they need. Not what they want. But what they need..

But will they ever.. I do not know. It just makes me despair for humanity..!
edit on 19-3-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Support local farmers who treat their animals with respect.
Or hunt your own food, if you have the kahunas.

I won't touch anything factory farmed.

I didn't eat meat for a decade and got very ill in the last year as a result. The end conclusion I came to from those experiences is... whatever you choose to put into your body, make sure it was made with nothing but love and respect. Some people have to eat meat. It doesn't give ANYONE carte blanche to torture and enslave living beings, however.

There are some ugly industrialized plant-farming tactics, too... (like Monsanto's incoming agent orange crops.)

The whole push for censorship is psychopathic, but that's just the way the system is. It feeds on your dollars, all the more reason to spend your money where cruelty and insanity are not endorsed.

One day, I'd like to live somewhere I can keep my own goat. 8)

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Please place a WARNING in your thread title - clicking on this thread and seeing that pic is really disturbing. People need to be warned.

Also - the thread was covered twice in ATS already. Once by me and once by another thread host.

That being said - the question remains - right to privacy by farm owners or the right to hunt out and find abusers. It’s a tough one.

My thread on the same subject here:Bills Pushed By State Legislators Would Make Farm Animal Abuse Investigations More Difficult

peace

edit on 20-3-2013 by silo13 because: fix link

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by fluff007

Just maybe these meat shops should be open to private panels for random spontaneous inspection, those who will not comply simply go on a list and those who are aware simply will stop buying their meats.

The lack of transparency makes collusion very easy.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Apologies.. I cannot change the title now. And I did do a search for this, like I always do before putting up a new thread and absolutely no results came up... Even when I worded it differently.. Again apologies...

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Animal abuse and cruelty is a CRIME! It is a crime which many people are convicted of and go to jail for! And ANY suspected crime is subject to investigation.

There is absolutely no need to treat animals for slaughter abusively. Treat them with some respect and dignity - they are living breathing creatures with beating hearts just like you and I.

Many of us are real human beings who would intervene if we witnessed someone inflicting abuse on an animal, it is obscene and unacceptable to us, it is abnormal in our society, and we don't want these abuse criminals living amongst us - all life needs to be protected from these ghastly souls and that's why they go to jail, it's where they belong. But if this law is passed, many will escape justice and continue perpetrating their sadistic crimes undetected, unchecked, and protected from investigation, by being employed in slaughterhouses.

It's ridiculous to protect criminals and their crimes from being investigated and brought to justice, which is what they're trying to do.
edit on 20-3-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join