It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does my lazy roommate exploit the system?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I work 5-6 days a week at my job, have been for almost 7 years. not complaining about it or anything.
But since we have been rooming together for about 2 1/2 years he has worked about a total of 4-6 months.

I know when he actually works, he is paid well, but my problem is he basically leaches off unemployment for 2/3 of the year, not even trying to find any work. How is this possible? do they just tax the hell out of his checks or something? or is he just lazy and exploiting the system? He's a pipefitter

All he does is sit around and does nothing
edit on 17-3-2013 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Welcome to my world...

Deal with it. Not much you can do.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Cool story...man

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

You've lived together almost 3 years and he's only worked maybe 6 months?do you really need to ask if he's exploiting the system?no hes a hard working guy supporting himself.lol SERIOUSLY?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sounds like my old roommate. But the guy was a total slob and never paid me a dime in rent. He was so bad I ended up moving out and letting my lease run out. Of course he left the place trashed also.

If I ever see that guy again Im gonna lay him out on the curb.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

Curb stomp for the finisher

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Got a buddy that does the same thing. Work three months then get fired so he can get unemployment. Calls me once a month to ask if I'm hiring. I never am I know how he is. He says thanks that's when I needed. Such a sad life some people live.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
As far as you know he's healthy mentally and physically?

Some people just cant't work as much as others..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
He probably is exploiting the system, but is he paying rent and buying his share of food and cleaning?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A pipefitter you say. I know a few of them and bet he makes way more money then you because he is Union. So is he actually abusing the system? no in short the tax payers don't pay him his employers put in the money.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Yeah so his employers getting screwed. All while cant fire the guy cause he's union.

Yep hes exploiting the system.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Upon second thoughts I wonder... why does it bother you if ANYONE screws the system considering how much the system screw all of us??

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Technically every day he is looking for work without doing anything but keeping his union dues paid.
The pipefitters are hired when needed by big businesses that won't keep the welders on full time so the businesses make money from saving money and get trained professionals when they do need them.

You can hate the system all you want but it's not him abusing the system. He can't take a welding job outside of the union due to a contract he signed..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Upon second thoughts I wonder... why does it bother you if ANYONE screws the system considering how much the system screw all of us??

Because this guys not screwing the system. He is exploiting the system to screw another individual.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImTheGreatest
Got a buddy that does the same thing. Work three months then get fired so he can get unemployment. Calls me once a month to ask if I'm hiring. I never am I know how he is. He says thanks that's when I needed. Such a sad life some people live.
yeah this is what happens, they do this work "get fired" then live off unemployment, making no effort to find work

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Sounds like he makes more than you when he does work.

Why ya being a hater?

As long as he pays his rent on time whats your beef?

I think your jealous and I doubt you enjoy working 6 days a week.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ahhh, so many examples of people who dont understand an industry trying to use it as an example of something it is not.

Having grown up in a family full of pipefitters, I can tell you, he is not exploiting anything. He may be taking advantage of the benefits of his union, but that is his prerogative, as he pays union dues for those benefits.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan

Originally posted by ImTheGreatest
yeah this is what happens, they do this work "get fired" then live off unemployment, making no effort to find work

Most of the time, they get laid off, not fired, because the job is finished. As a union pipefitter, there is a waiting list that one must go on until they get called out for the next job, either off of that list or by name.

Again, the person is doing nothing wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman

You can hate the system all you want but it's not him abusing the system. He can't take a welding job outside of the union due to a contract he signed..

Sounds like his employer is screwing the system

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

Originally posted by Connman

Sounds like his employer is screwing the system

They arent.

Second.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join