It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: Unnatural Features on Moon Surface

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
I wonder if the OP or any other members can see the features that are showing in the view.

I only see mountains and craters. What other features are there that I'm missing?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Saint Exupery

I'm in favor of moving this thread to the "Hoax" section.

I second the motion.

Same here, he even had the cheek to put his logo on the bottom right of the picture, the picture is not his to do that with!!!
edit on 19-3-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I am not in favour of the post being moved as the discussion is very relevant to the category

I have examined the high-resolution tiff image in some considerable depth and there are some very interesting features to be observed on the surface that are definitely not natural formations. I know many members on the forum will say that my recognition of certain features showing will be the result of misinterpretation or plain old pareidolia. I will post some images later highlighting some of the features I have observed.

Don't tell me your tiny Martian's have set up shop there as well

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Please check the LRO views before we go through loads of BS about what your special
image processing shows up.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Wow!

4 pages in and still no information about what the op'er is seeing in this image!

That has made me a little
!

Do I get a prize if I guess what it is?

I'm gonna stretch it a little and say .......... roads!!

Do I win???
edit on 19-3-2013 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

I am not in favour of the post being moved as the discussion is very relevant to the category

I have examined the high-resolution tiff image in some considerable depth and there are some very interesting features to be observed on the surface that are definitely not natural formations. I know many members on the forum will say that my recognition of certain features showing will be the result of misinterpretation or plain old pareidolia. I will post some images later highlighting some of the features I have observed.

Don't tell me your tiny Martian's have set up shop there as well

No, I do not think there are any tiny martians on the moon. The tiny-sized 'people' are only on Mars. What I do think, from the object detail showing in this lunar image, is that the inhabitants are a much more mature species and could possibly look like us.

The only adjustments made to the above images was in relation to brightness and contrast. No form of special enhancement was implemented.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

reply to post by arianna

Please check the LRO views before we go through loads of BS about what your special
image processing shows up.

No BS here and no image processing apart from the adjustments made as per the above post. The versions I have produced used the original tiff version.

Checking the LRO images only gives us a top-down view of the area. The oblique Apollo images are much better for investigating surface objects as their structural shape and form can be more easily recognized whereas the LRO images would only show a plan view of the same object.
edit on 19-3-2013 by arianna because: text

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

However, I have carried out some research of the image and have selected an area for further examination.

Thank you for posting the series of photos to localize your area of interest.
The box you drew is approximately bounded by 11.36 to 13.115 South latitude and 115.375 to 117.9 East longitude.

The OP image (AS08-17-2744) is actually part of a series taken while orbiting over the Far Side. Six of those images include all or part of your area-of interest:
AS08-17-2742
AS08-17-2743
AS08-17-2744
AS08-17-2745
AS08-17-2746
AS08-17-2747

Do you see the same features in the same location in the other Apollo 8 images?

I found eight Apollo 15 (and one Apollo 17) Mapping Camera images that cover at least part of your area. There are probably more available, but drawing the box on these is tricky since perspective distorts the rectangular shape - especially on the obliques - and north is at a funny angle due to the spacecrafts' orbital inclination. I did my best, but the boxes are not exactly aligned to your image. However, they should be sufficient for you to orient yourself.
Resolution is ~9m/pixel for the vertical scans, and a bit worse than the obliques (though all are better than the Hasselblad images). Note that the links take you to maximum-res scans with a zoomable interface:

(Edited to add: Hell's Bells! I just realized that the ASU Mapping camera scans in the links are rotated 90-degrees CCW to put North more-or-less towards the top of the frame. My apologies, but I do not have time to correct and re-upload my reference frames before the edit option is closed. They are still usable - but you might get a sore neck)

AS15-M-0122

AS15-M-0319

AS15-M-0491

AS15-M-0492

AS15-M-0493

AS15-M-0769

AS15-M-1452

AS15-M-1453

AS17-M-2177

The later Apollo missions also carried a large format Panoramic Camera that could, under optimum circumstances resolve features as small as 3 meters on the surface (they were just barely able to resolve the Apollo Lunar Modules). They were the highest resolution images available before the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter arrived a few years ago. The film frames were 127mm x 1219mm in size and had to be scanned in segments.
I found six PanCam images of the your area-of-interest, and there may be more available. I've had to crop the reference frames, and I recommend using the Mapping images (above) to help find your way around these massive images using the zoomable interface:

AS15-P-9017

AS15-P-9019

AS15-P-9021

AS15-P-9022

AS15-P-9024

AS15-P-9026

I hope these help you to find something interesting. When you give a more exact location, we can hopefully find LRO images at ~0.5 meter-per-pixel resolution to examine your finds in maximum detail.
edit on 19-3-2013 by Saint Exupery because: checked links

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Lots of images have been posted in this thread, but all I see is the typical lunar terrain, craters. etc.

Arianna, an oblique view of something on the Moon would only reveal its 3D structure if that structure is seveal miles tall and wide. Typical human-made structures look flat from such distance. Consider this oblique view of Christchurch in NZ: eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Here's an oblique view of Florida from space. Can you pick out any structures in 3D? www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

This is why the hi-res LRO images are important. Even with the top-down view, you should be able to pick out any structures or other non-natural things, using the shadow and known Sun angle to calculate their dimensions. For example, here's an excellent LRO image of the Apollo 17 descent stage and other stuff left on the Moon: lroc.sese.asu.edu...

By the way, LRO has captured many oblique views of the Moon.

If you are interested in seeing an oblique view of a certain region on the Moon, perhaps you could put in a request to the LRO team.
edit on 19-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Saint Exupery, I am very grateful for the time you have spent and the images and references you have posted.

Your effort is very helpful and a most worthy contribution to the thread.

If only the OP would let us know what HE can see in the image it would help tremendously, then members could carry out a more in-depth examination of the observed features.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If you know his posting history don't encourage him or we will end up with pages and pages of his ramblings about structures he thinks he can see!!

It's not a question of structures that I think I can see. - it's all about structures that I know I can see even if you are unable to which is a great shame as I would really like you and other members to see them.

When the astronauts were in orbit around the moon during Mission 8 they must have seen that there is more on the lunar surface than just craters and rock formations.

I will post an image of what I can see in the section after the OP lets us know what he can see in the image.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
OP...just to let you know, don't worry about the misery-guts posting the same old - same old, most people can't or simply refuse to allow themselves to see anything other than they're expecting to see..i for one, absolutely LOVE these kinds of threads.

But (if not already posted further along in this thread) a link to the original image / image number would be appreciated to rule out manipulation...but i see many strange things on this image that have nothing to do with pareidolia...thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

It's not a question of structures that I think I can see. - it's all about structures that I know I can see even if you are unable to which is a great shame as I would really like you and other members to see them.

Do you remember the little experiment we did some years ago? I thought that showed that we can never be that sure about anything.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Point them out on the LRO images don't say you can't if they were there they would show on 50cm/pixel or the even higher 26cm/pixel images.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Can someone please explain why there seems to be bright lights on the moon?

It looks like a city taken from space, just like you can see on images taken from space at night time on earth (we are talking about the dark/far side of the moon here).

jra

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysWonder
Can someone please explain why there seems to be bright lights on the moon?

Where are you seeing bright lights on the Moon?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
the moon's belly button?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

When you see large craters on the moon surface as shown in the OP linked picture you dont see debris left over from the object that was meant to of created it. Since there is no atmosphere on moon then the debris couldnt of been eroded away.All them craters on moon and doesnt seem to make much sense of how they got there.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by PINGi14

When you see large craters on the moon surface as shown in the OP linked picture you dont see debris left over from the object that was meant to of created it. Since there is no atmosphere on moon then the debris couldnt of been eroded away.All them craters on moon and doesnt seem to make much sense of how they got there.

doesn't quite work that way.

An impact crater may not leave any debris (and from that word I'm assuming you are speaking of both what it hit and ejecta), especially if they are large impactors.

The debris get blasted out into space. Some will land, forming their own impact craters, some will go into orbit, only later to fall and again form their own craters. Some will escape orbit, only to be pulled on by the Earth and land (or burn up) here. Some can even escape the Earth's pull and end up in orbit around the sun, or falling into it, or even some of the other planets.

Formation of the crater is also dependent upon many things:

Type of impactor.
Speed and angle of impact
Material where the impactor hits.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join