It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feels like I slipped into an alternate reality sometimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have to wonder how could so many be so duped? I was discussing things with a few regular customers at my cafe this morning and started to talk about the issues of homeland security, drones, 1.6 billion rounds of ammo and the order they made for over 2,700 light armored vehicles.

He (this one particular customer) was stating we need these things, so to try and break him out of it I brought up the NDAA act. He said he thinks its great, that we need to take criminals down with it and felt the Government should use it as they see fit. So I thought "well he must not understand exactly what it meant". I went over issue of due process and that this is not what America is all about. He disagreed and tried to make it out that due process has very little to due with the ideology of the USA! By the time we were done I was aghast.

How has this all happened? Feels like I somehow slipped into another darker dimension back in about 2001.

What say you?
edit on 9-3-2013 by LoneGunMan because: spelled thread title wrong!

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It's called Stockholm Syndrome.

The American Citizens "Slaves/Captives" see that their Government "Captor" can do no wrong, even though they are enslaved by a system that see's them as cattle. People have strong emotional ties to the government because that's all they know.

People's brains cannot physically handle truth of such degree, so they go along with whatever the "norm" is, or whatever propaganda is out there.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by clairvoyantrose

I was trying to think of the syndrome today in our discussion but it had eluded me, my emotions were quite high at one point! Thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

I feel that way as well sometimes. I have a few friends who love everything Obama does. When I told them and explained about the NDAA, they said well it must be for a good reason. What good reason is there in justifying being able to put people in jail without due process or just taking them out is beyond me.

Brainwashed comes to mind. Or being duped. I keep reading articles of acceptance from mass amounts of people on what's going on. It's confusing and saddening.

'unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.' -dr.Suess.

I say that quote and I want things to be better, but I don't know if a care a whole awful lot. I feel sometimes stuck. Stuck in the middle of this mayhem and madness. I also feel ashamed of that. And as well I feel that everything is supposed to happen this way and we actually can't change a darn thing.

Peace and love
-nat the cat-

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

He (the one particular customer) probably listens to rush limbaugh/ religious programming and is trained to parrot what he has been told.
ie. brainwashing
not something you should accuse him of because then he will call you a liberal, as, again, he is trained to do, when, most likely you are just being factual without party affiliation.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

'unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.' -dr.Suess.

I say that quote and I want things to be better, but I don't know if a care a whole awful lot. I feel sometimes stuck. Stuck in the middle of this mayhem and madness. I also feel ashamed of that. And as well I feel that everything is supposed to happen this way and we actually can't change a darn thing.

Peace and love
-nat the cat-

Love the Good Dr.'s quote.

I feel stuck too and rather shell shocked sometimes! I do believe it is all happening for a higher reason but then again wow.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

The funny thing is he is a retired school teacher and guidance counselor. He seems to be liberal but brainwashed to the extreme. He is very smart and I enjoy his company, but on the other hand he is so limited from his brainwashing.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

You've been kidnapped from Earth and plugged in to an Alien matrix where they use your minds resources to help build your alternate reality that you can never leave.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
'Hotel California'. I feel the same as you in a lot of aspects of my life. If you find a way out, let me know.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have the same problem at work. I live in a very conservative southern state and while I do love the people, the sense of community and the family-oriented lifestyle, it's difficult at times to communicate in a way that most can understand. I try to point out that most of what the current POTUS does is just a continuation of what the previous did before him. They don't seem to be able to see the same things I do, and at times it can be frustrating. I have a difficult time when one of my associates is watching some garbage television like Jersey Shore, and when I ask if we can watch something more real world they agree and turn it straight to Fox News. There are times when I just get up and walk out. They think because I don't support their conservative ideals that I must support the liberal agenda, and when I try to explain that I don't support either party or their ideologies they simply cannot wrap their head around it. To them you are either one or the other, it's a very with us or against us mentality. The sheep fight the sheep while the wolves circle the herd, it's very frustrating and I completely empathize with the OP.

Throughout the years I have found a simple tactic that seems to at least make most conservatives pause, though I'm not entirely sure it would work the same on ultra-liberals. You have to find a frame of reference for them, so I often leave my conservative colleagues with these words before walking away. "I know you believe that the country is divided down the middle, but one of the first rules of war is divide and conquer."

top topics

join