It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Extraterrestrials exist? Of course they do!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This question baffles me because the evidence is overwhelming that extraterrestrials exist. Scientist draw conclusions all of the time based on the available evidence. In many cases there's less evidence available than there is to support the existence of extraterrestrials.

People came to the conclusion that the Higgs Boson exist before Cern was even built. People have come to the conclusion that String Theory is correct. Some have come to the the conclusion that the multiverse exists and parallel universes exist.

Yet, you're jumping the gun by saying extraterrestrials exist based on the overwhelming evidence????

That makes no sense. One problem is the way we view the origin of life. Some people want to support this convoluted and I think silly explanation that life started on earth under miracle like conditions and other planets have to have these exact same ingredients mixed in the exact same way in order to get life.

If you have this narrow view of the Cosmos then you're just deluding yourself. I have been a proponent of Panspermia and Directed Panspermia for years. I think life originates on comets, meteorites or is seeded by advanced civilizations. Just look at areas like synthetic biology. I just got through reading a great book called Regenesis. If we were ever able to write our genome on things like E. Coli and then seed the universe with our DNA, we would do it.

So I think with things like exoplanets, liquid water on Mars, microbial life in diverse places, building blocks of life found in comets and you couple that with close encounters, pictures, video, trace evidence and more, you have overwhelming evidence that extraterrestrials exist.

Now, this isn't a monolithic position. So of course others will reach a different conclusion and I'm fine with that.

The point is, you can't say there isn't enough evidence to reach this conclusion unless it's a subjective statement. There may not be enough evidence for you to reach this conclusion but there's more than enough evidence for others to reach the conclusion that extraterrestrials exist.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

The universe is also huge. At least 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. And we're the only ones? Yea right.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

If string theory is correct it defines that we may be a holographic image, furthermore I know some people have put out threads on this topic interesting enough a computer simulation of our universe is eerily similar to a brain cell here's a link to the photo search.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0oGdWlS5zpRhVUAbU9XNyoA?p=picture%20of%20glaxcy%20and%20brain%20nur&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-621

Not to sound too matrix but everything you know, every fundamental law, every person on this planet could be just a thought process, a simulation, which would make nothing real, a sim universe if you will! If this is true and not just humans grasping at straws to understand the big questions then anything is possible within the code which was actually found in string theory heres a link www.transcend.ws...

in essence if string theory is correct your assumption about Extraterrestrials existing could be correct or could not be correct based on who is running the show funny thing is it would be meaningless no matter what

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

The universe is also huge. At least 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. And we're the only ones? Yea right.

I am amazed by the arrogance of mine.

I discover that earth is no flat , I discover that there is a solar system , I discover that there are 100 million galaxies , yet I want to find other species to show that humans are not alone.

Yeah , we are not alone , we have the god who created these.

But arrogance is covering my eyes.

Let me be one who ripped his curtains and admits how powerless he is and he has god almighty making all these stable for a while.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You are asking an already answered question.

The question whether extraterrestrial life forms do exist, has been answered stochastically already by Drakes equation.

The statistical probability for carbon based life in the whole universe is about 100%

I think the issue at hand is "Have extraterrestrial life forms been visiting earth, and are currently doing so as well.", and as sad as that is, a mere theoretical speculation is not really fruitful in this regard, and has been held countless times to no avail already.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
There is something else out there. Almost has to be. I like the dna seeding theory mentioned earlier. I feel like that is kind of plausible. Who knows what scientists will discover within 100, 500, 1000 years. Probably things that would just blow our primitive little minds.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
No one (of any import) cares about invisible undetectable aliens on the other side of the Universe.

The whole Universe could be absolutely swimming with life.
All of that, however, is entirely worthless.

It's worthless until we can detect, observe, and confirm it.

Higgs Boson?
There's strong probability enough that it exists within discoverable boundaries that we've spent Billions on a device that may help us ratify theoretical paradigm.

Aliens?
So what?
Sure, there maybe might be possibly could be potentially probably somewhere, but, it's such an entirely ambiguous vaguery in speculating on some maybe could be hopefully magical woo woo that such speculation, though fun and certainly fascinating for people of mediocre disposition and mediocre facility that are constantly amazed at their own amazingness, it's entirely worthless information.

So what if there's aliens on the other side of the universe, or even right next door?
If we can't detect or observe them, they do us absolutely no good.

Undetectable aliens are worthless.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic
This question baffles me because the evidence is overwhelming that extraterrestrials exist.

i'm sorry but i disagree into the term 'overwhelming evidence' here, for the existance of extraterrestrial life

there is no evidence at all for the existence of extraterrestrial life. All what is said is that there is a statistic reason to believe that we are not alone.
Science defines very strict rules to say there is proof, that this or that is true or not.
There is no extraterrestrial life being found, yet. starting from simple bacteria, not to say higher forms of life.
NOTHING is there, from what we have scientific proof it exists.
we can only say ...the chances are high that in this very universe we are in, there is another form of life existing, based on statistics.
Not more, not less.

Scientists have to be very cautious if it comes to true evidence of something.
a simple photo or video is no more valid to be evidence enough in these days, because its too easy to manipulate such media.
Quoting Neil deGrass Tyson: 'i think photoshop already comes with an UFO button today'
yes, you need to bring a stolen ashtray from the UFO with Alien DNA on it to get recognized.
soo
There is no overwhelming evidence. Theres just overwhelming evidence that mankind is very mad on this topic, and throw away a good portion of logic to think themself into the believe we are already been visited here, and so on. Its not the case, cause there is no evidence which would stand occams razor on explaining things:
'the simplest explanation is probably the best'
if you are required to bring in alien technology to explain something, you are probably wrong with your explanation, that however is statistically more likely than your exotic alien theory.

so whatever is .. 'overwhelming evidence' does not exist. period.
edit on 9-3-2013 by TMJ1972 because: typos

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolshed
There is something else out there. Almost has to be.

"Almost" isnt exactly a certain statement.

I think as much as the next one that its highly unlikely that aliens dont exist, that we are unique. It doesnt make sense in my view of the universe.

HOWEVER...

I have seen no real evidence of extraterrestrial life. None whatsoever. We can theorize and see aliens among the rocks of Mars all we like, its still not factual 110% evidence of anything physical. Even if we where presented with irrefutable evidence it would still probably be questioned.

The day there are at least 10,000 scientists living on Mars that discover native Mars microbes and every country on Earth confirms it with their own separate studies, maybe that's evidence. Either that or the day we are neutron bombed from the dark side of the moon by space Nazis, whatever.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

You are really over this "Are there Aliens out there hypothesis" aren't you.
You smash anyone who even attempts to infer it.
Methinks you protest too much. Maybe you know something that we mere mortals don't.
I am sure in the billions of galaxies out there just maybe Martin the Martian exists, Maybe?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
No one (of any import) cares about invisible undetectable aliens on the other side of the Universe.

Higgs Boson?
There's strong probability enough that it exists within discoverable boundaries that we've spent Billions on a device that may help us ratify theoretical paradigm.

Aliens?
So what?
Sure, there maybe might be possibly could be potentially probably somewhere, but, it's such an entirely ambiguous vaguery in speculating on some maybe could be hopefully magical woo woo that such speculation, though fun and certainly fascinating for people of mediocre disposition and mediocre facility that are constantly amazed at their own amazingness, it's entirely worthless information.

So what if there's aliens on the other side of the universe, or even right next door?

Your views are quite an insight. Self centred and self serving.

I'm just going on observation alone here by the way.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Was thinking of this the other day, about evidence, the 3-D type that is. If I or you had some piece of high technology of an alien type, we would quickly have it taken from us by our own government and shut down. If it were an uncertain in nature it would be denied even by those whom know us due to conditioning. Somewhat like going to court, but having your evidence stolen and having a stacked jury I suppose.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I understand what you're getting at Dru, but I must disagree on one minor point. There are many of "import" who do care. Very much so. That's why they're spending so much money on making those undectables, detectable.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras

You are really over this "Are there Aliens out there hypothesis" aren't you.
You smash anyone who even attempts to infer it.
Methinks you protest too much. Maybe you know something that we mere mortals don't.
I am sure in the billions of galaxies out there just maybe Martin the Martian exists, Maybe?

I didn't say there was NOT life anywhere else in the Universe.
I said, in so many words "Who Cares?".
Whoop de do.

If we can't detect life anywhere else, then, no matter how much it actually exists, it doesn't matter until we CAN detect it.
Even then, it don't mean anyone is visiting us.

There's also a big difference between possibility and probability.

Originally posted by pot8er

Your views are quite an insight. Self centred and self serving.

I'm just going on observation alone here by the way.

Brilliant contribution to the advancement of this thread. Go have yourself a cookie.

Originally posted by Klassified
I understand what you're getting at Dru, but I must disagree on one minor point. There are many of "import" who do care. Very much so. That's why they're spending so much money on making those undectables, detectable.

Respectfully, yes, that is indeed true.
As far as I know, however, they're not making threads on ATS about it, especially ones that have zero data, zero sources, and only marginal mention of actual efforts and projects aimed toward the goal of said detection, if at all.
OP has zero links, informatic graphics or anything much to support their stance.

For instance, Gliese 581g.
Listing of other Kepler exoplanet finds.
Details on the satellite planned after Kepler (project name I forget off the top of my head).
Here, for instance, is a nice article from NPR on detecting Aliens by looking for signs of their industrial waste, or civilizational detritus.

My point being; big whoop on undetectable aliens. Who cares? We want aliens that we can observe as opposed to blind saucer-eyed semi-religious-experience data-less speculation.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

I see no evidence either, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We are just one tiny grain of sand on the beach that is the universe. It is no real surprise that nothings washed up quite yet.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

What??

Of course there's evidence that extraterrestrials exist. You may come to the conclusion there's not enough evidence for you personally to reach that conclusion but that's just a subjective statement and nothing more.

People who feel like there can't be any evidence are living on Fantasy Island.

Scientist come to conclusions based on the available evidence and we do this in all walks of life from the Courtroom to a Police Investigation.

We look at the available evidence and then come to a conclusion as to what's most likely and what's less likely. We do this because we have this thing call the brain that allows us to weigh the available evidence.

We come to conclusions that Parallel universes and the multiverse exist although they haven't been detected.

We come to the conclusion that 10/500 false vacua exist on the String Theory landscape, although it hasn't been detected.

We come to the conclusion that we live in a Holographic universe even though we haven't detected this yet.
We come to the conclusion that we live in extra dimensions, even though they haven't been detected.

Scientist came to the conclusion the Higgs Boson existed even before Cern was built.

In a Courtroom Jurors send people to jail for life based on the available evidence.

I can go on and on.

Again, the point is, we have these things called Brains and we draw conclusions based on the available evidence as to what's more likely and less likely all the time.

If anyone says there isn't any evidence to reach the conclusion that extraterrestrials exist, they're just a prisoner of a cave they have built for themselves.

Here's some quotes:

Mikhail Gorbachev, the USSR's last head of state: "The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously."

Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding, commander of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain: "I am convinced that these objects do exist and that they are not manufactured by any nations on earth."

Stephen Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet.

"I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach."

"We all know that UFOs are real. All we need to ask is where do they come from." - Edgar Mitchell

"Statistically it's a certainty there are hugely advanced civilizations, intelligences, life forms out there. I believe they're so advanced they're even doing interstellar travel. I believe it's possible they even came here. It’s logical to presume the universe must have other life in it and by virtue of association that we could be visited at some point." Astronaut Storey Musgrave.

My point is, that intelligent people have come to these conclusions based on the available evidence.

We have exoplanets that have been detected.

We have microbial life that has been detected in places where they didn't think life could exist.

We have comets and meteorites with the building blocks of life.

We have detected liquid water on other planets.

Again, people are not coming to these conclusions in a vacuum. So when people convince themselves that there's isn't any evidence that extraterrestrials exist, they're just running with Tattoo on Fantasy Island.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

What is it with reading comprehension these days?

Please tell me exactly where I've said there's no other life anywhere else in the Universe?

And then you presume to talk down to me? How adorable.

Here, let me attempt, once again, to make this clear.
READ THIS POST (from another thread)

Now, let's put that in even more basic terms.

Pretend you have no money and you are starving in the street homeless.

Now, pretend I just came along and told you the Sultan of Brunei has $20 Billion lives in palaces, and eats anything any time all the time.

Is that going to make you happy? Is that going to fill your empty belly knowing that someone else can eat anything any time all the time? Is that going to put money in your pocket now that some random person told you there's someone else on the planet that has A LOT of money?
Is it going to do anything for you at all?

That's what these "Aliens exist somewhere in the universe" statements are.

Who effing cares?
It means nothing until we actually have means to at least observe such.
It's worthless information extrapolated from speculation.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Higgs Boson?

Aliens?
So what?

I agree with everything you have stated here Dru!

It's the endless question, Are we alone? Although the odds, the chances, the mathematical possibilities could cause one to shout loudly, "We can't be alone!!!" The simple fact is we have no tangible proof to believe otherwise. That is just the simple truth. Hundreds of generations before us have come and gone asking the same question, and as they have perished, none of them witnessed the presence of extraterrestial intelligent life forms.

And as you suggest, if they are out there, we certainly have not found them and it appears they have not found us in this vast universe. No one really knows, it is fun to think, dream, speculate even faith that some other intelligent life form(s) are out there in abundance, but we simply have no proof. That is not a narrow view, it is a wide-open eyed view of the facts

Originally posted by neoholographic
This question baffles me because the evidence is overwhelming that extraterrestrials exist...............Yet, you're jumping the gun by saying extraterrestrials exist based on the overwhelming evidence????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I think silly explanation that life started on earth under miracle like conditions and other planets have to have these exact same ingredients mixed in the exact same way in order to get life......................If you have this narrow view of the Cosmos then you're just deluding yourself..................................I have been a proponent of Panspermia and Directed Panspermia for years. I think life originates on comets, meteorites or is seeded by advanced civilizations.

Thanks neoholographic, for an interesting discussion. It is certainly one of, if not the biggest questions of mankind, "are we alone?". I simply disagree with your statement on "overwhelming evidence". If that were true, we wouldn't still be asking the question, right?

As you state, it is "baffling"! As we continue to evolve, search, investigate, learn and experience new findings, new truths we will continue to discover new and amazing things. However, IMHO, at this timeline, we have yet to find Intelligent extraterrestial life, nor have they found us. I just don't see the 'evidence' you claim. It's ok to agree to disagree.

Regarding your thougths on the Panspermia theory. It is interesting, and certainly an acceptable alternative to the many of theories of how life began here, on Earth. However, I again would disagree with your comment that it is "silly" to think miracle-like circumstances occured here on Earth where life as we know it began. I don't discount Panspermia, just saying alternative views such as the much accepted 'miracle-like' conditions theory are very probable.

So, in conclusion, We really don't know if there is intelligent ET life out there. It's fun, hopeful, thought provoking to think about, but no tangible, irreputable evidence to suggest otherwise, as of now. The future is unknown, So it would be foolish to say never. As far as how did life originate here, on Earth? Whatever you believe, it just seems to be a miracle of some fate. I am not using that term in a religious context, just the uncertainty of the nature of existence.

How did it ALL Happen? How? What? Why did ALL of this Universe, everything happen? Where did it come from? Simply from nothing? I propose that there are many mysteries that we will never truly uncover or understand, that's when we need to stop arguing with each other, step back, look around and marvel at the wonderous beauty of this world and our universe, and enjoy it!!!

Peace!!! ID

edit on 9-3-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical

edit on 9-3-2013 by ItDepends because: sentence restructure

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Who cares????

Of course we care and this is why we ask the question and this is why we search for answers.

Who cars if there's water on Mars?

Who cares if the Higgs Boson exists?

Who cares if we live in extra dimensions?

Who cares if Parallel universes exist?

Who cares if one day artificial intelligence will exist?

Who cares about black hole entropy?

WE DO!!

You may not care and that's fine but many people do and I'm glad they do or the world would be a pretty dry place if nobody cared about these things.
edit on 9-3-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You're being entirely too literal.

If you want to play pretend imaginary something maybe somewhere, go watch some science fiction, or better, read some.

If you just want validation, there's plenty of people all over the internet that will tell you anything and everything you ever wanted to hear.
There's even people that will sell you the chance to go out and watch invisible alien spaceships land where you can then see the invisible aliens.
Um, well, 'see' might be too strong a word.

If you want to take a critical view without any room for foolery, silliness, hijinx, hoaxes or hoo-hah, then, you'll stop with the saucer-eyed mooney stuff, sit still, and wait.
... and wait.
... and wait.
and be happy waiting until we have actual confirmation for the existence of life elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join