It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being HUMAN isn't good enough any more!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I saw a True Blood episode this week and it's all about vampires, fairies, shape-shifters, ghosts and werewolves.

I mean what's the point of even still having human characters in this series?

Are the humans in the latest Underworld series real characters, or just a plot device?

OK, they feed on us, and we're like rebellious cattle, but being simply human is just becomes boring.

Then we had aliens in V.
We also had many zombie flicks.

The humans are always at a major disadvantage, and often I think their survival is simply to keep the stories going.

Most of these monsters are so powerful that a single group could wipe us out.
It's never explained why they don't do this, or whether humans have some special quality too.
We can die and they're virtually immortal?
Our mortality is supposed to be an attraction?

Sometimes we're the hunters; and sometimes we're the villains.
Often we are the hunted.

Why would any human not want to turn into one of these creatures?
I mean being human and mortal is just boring.

Perhaps some of these programs want to poke ironic fun at politics.
Humans and various monsters become minorities.

Often a good monster saves the humans.
Why?
For what?

These programs can make one frustrated, because humanity seems to be kept for practical or unexplained purposes.

Humanity is portrayed as rather useless.

I want to be a fairy, but I cannot.
I want to be a vampire, but I cannot.
I'd love to be a werewolf, but I cannot.

Fantasy is good, but arguably this is fantasy portrayed in a very realistic setting.

Maybe we just exist as food?
Or maybe we get power from our weapons, like in Avatar?
Clearly these films are all fantasy.

But it's a continual fantasy subject that makes me unhappy with being human.

Why can't I be a werewolf that lives with a ghost and a vampire?
Being human is underrated these days!
edit on 8-3-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
movie studios with execs, shareholders and ceos dont take risks anymore, i think thats the problem. they go with what sells, zombie/monster movies and remakes. and when the plebs tire of zombies then all we have is remakes.

i see this going on atm with the gaming industry. theres a pattern...
a small company takes risks, they stumble upon a brilliant idea for a game.
big company buys small company out of fear of competition
the small company now is stuck with milking that brilliant idea until the udder is dried up, or until they remake that one idea so much that everyone begins to hate them for it.
the small companys senior staff mostly all leave and are replaced with big company Yes men.

its economics capitalist style

i think what you are referring to is escapism. look at the the world today....not good.
perfect environment for shows like the ones you speak of.

anything but human is the motto here

Jay

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

I want to be a fairy, but I cannot.
I want to be a vampire, but I cannot.
I'd love to be a werewolf, but I cannot.

I have fantasies too, but they don't involve fairy vampire werewolves crossbreeds in high heels and a red garter.

we all fade away in the end..

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think there's an escapism to it.

The new post-human, or "inhuman" was seen as a melding of the organic human with technology.

In these series and franchises we go back to the forest, or back to an apocalyptic wasteland (even if urban) where people never play with their phones or go online.

We go back to mythology in a sense, but it's no longer a forest with one big bad wolf.
Behind the next tree is a vampire.
And then maybe a fairy.
The forest is then over-populated.

And these creatures are no longer scary most of the time, it's like a soap opera of beastliness.

They are not sci-fi's technological nightmare of a conquest by machinery.
But they are all improved bodies and improved humans.
They are post-human concepts.

I think to push post-human fantasy in so many ways onto the world's imagination is very dangerous.
The disappointment of being human can then indeed lead into escapism, or at least into a devaluation of the self, which can lead to all sorts of problems.

Computers and technology are suspect culturally.
They've even been called addictive.
The unreal, post-human body however is almost romanticized, even if the heroes are actually monsters.
edit on 8-3-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Gees, I really need to get upto date with these movies. The last werewolf move I watched was ' Teen-wolf with M.J.Fox hahaha. Now there was a good movie' I'm talking the '80s movie.

The highlander movie/series was quiet good too for its day. All just entertainment really, most of the movies you mention are not my thing. I don't think they're made to desensitise us are they? Well I hope not !!

Being human is quiet adequate enough for me. With a small amount of escapism from time to time
. It's good for humans. It gets scary when people loose the ability to distinguish fantasies and realities.

Imagine what our grand kids will think of today's movies or I wonder what they'll have as entertainment. That's scary.

I have fantasies too, but they don't involve fairy vampire werewolves crossbreeds in high heels and a red garter.

And that winofiend is quiet a visual
a star for ya.

join