It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming is epic

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Methane does trap a lot more heat than carbon dioxide. One molecule of it traps much more heat than carbon dioxide. Our best solution is to burn it, but we'd have to burn all of it, and that's a lot to burn. However, that gives off H2O and CO2. In the arctic, there is not much life to capture the CO2. Because of that, the Arctic end up being much hotter. It must also be acknowledged that there is a lot of CO2 in the permafrost alongside the methane.

There will be global change and relocations on Earth. That's too expensive and environmentally unsustainable, though. The planet has lost most of its plant life to mitigate the effects of CO2.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws
reply to post by Philippines

Methane does trap a lot more heat than carbon dioxide. One molecule of it traps much more heat than carbon dioxide. Our best solution is to burn it, but we'd have to burn all of it, and that's a lot to burn. However, that gives off H2O and CO2. In the arctic, there is not much life to capture the CO2. Because of that, the Arctic end up being much hotter. It must also be acknowledged that there is a lot of CO2 in the permafrost alongside the methane.

There will be global change and relocations on Earth. That's too expensive and environmentally unsustainable, though. The planet has lost most of its plant life to mitigate the effects of CO2.

You sound like a well educated and researched person =D Please take the time to listen to this, it is important and it keeps disappearing and reappearing on youtube and elsewhere (The most important topic for 2013 is the title):

There may be more, I'm not sure. Every time I posted this vid on the forum, it gets deleted some amount of time in the future:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I don't know i think you are either on the 200 years worth of climate record data or you aren't. Neither side can convince the other of their case, I don't know why anyone bothers to try. You are going to believe what you believe based on your own research.

Myself, I just shake my head and when I see data that tells me how much we have warmed in the last 200 years I don't even read it anymore, it makes no sense. What about the Mini Ice Ages

As for sea levels rising, how about lands sinking and spreading that could do it to, but no, it is easier to blame it all on us because that way, we can fix it if we all just try. The other alternative of the land moving, raising, sinking, volcanoes coming back to life, that the land that we have built our homes and lives on is too alarming and much more devastating to comprehend.

How can data be cherry picked over the last 200 years when there are 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of years that should be used? As others have stated areas that are warming up have been warmer than they are today, the thing is there was no one there to charge a carbon tax and say the animals and vegetation are going to die. Oh yeah they did, that is where the methane came from.

Love this one...

Source

To the extent any faction in the global warming debate “denies the existence of climate change,” it is the alarmists who contend that any climate change that may be occurring now must be unprecedented and alarming. It is these alarmists – not skeptics - who deny climate change. Both factions agree the Earth’s climate is currently changing, but alarmists deny the longstanding and ongoing existence of past, present, and future climate change.

And the beat goes on...

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join