It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming is epic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Global warming is epic, long-term study says

Global warming has propelled Earth's climate from one of its coldest decades since the last ice age to one of its hottest -- in just one century.

A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

"If any period in time had a sustained temperature change similar to what we have today, we would have certainly seen that in our record," he said. It is a good indicator of just how fast man-made climate change has progressed.

A century is a very short period of time for such a spike.

It's supposed to be cold

The Earth was very cold at the turn of the 20th century. The decade from 1900 to 1909 was colder than 95% of the last 11,300 years, the study found.

Fast forward to the turn of the 21st century, and the opposite occurs. Between 2000 and 2009, it was hotter than about 75% of the last 11,300 years.

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University. Marcott was the lead author of the report on its results.

www.cnn.com...

My question is - how can you AGW skeptics out there continue to deny in the face of the overwhelming scientific evidence?

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University.

BS.

Ocean currents and volcanic activity have a greater impact than man could ever achieve due to industry. This study set out to ignore everything except for its conclusion, which was determined before even glancing at any data.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University.

BS.

Ocean currents and volcanic activity have a greater impact than man could ever achieve due to industry. This study set out to ignore everything except for its conclusion, which was determined before even glancing at any data.

So you are saying that all AGW scientists are biased, or even lying, and they are ignoring the data and interjecting their own bias? To what end? Why is this so political - it's quite obvious that the overwhelming number of scientists that have actually looked at the data are drawing an unbiased conclusion. Are you afraid they are going to take away your gas-guzzlers? Why is there such passion to deny this? It reminds me of some other scientific theory that's overwhelmingly accepted, yet there are quite a number of passionate deniers who base their denial on beliefs rather than science - what is that theory again, starts with an e.. oh right, evolution..

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by redtic

to what end hmm funding

So what was the average temps of 8345 years ago to 8545 years ago, How is the temps derived to 100% accuracy with out the recorded data..?

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
So, I guess that the fact that ALL of the planets in our Solar System have been increasing in temperature can be blamed on humans as well!? We should stop sending those stupid probes into space!

Until I see UNBIASED, direct scientific data that points conclusively to AGW while ALSO factoring in Solar Cycles, I am inclined to believe that this is part of the Earth's millennial old heating-cooling cycle. Beyond that, the argument is so politicized it is impossible to take seriously.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by redtic

I'm saying that they are biased, yes.

Note how the article poses ZERO scientific evidence for their claims, nor links to the results of the study.

When compared to the last ice age, YES we are in a warmer period. To suggest that there should be a slow and constant warming to some kind of stasis is both unscientific and completely ignorant of Earth's history. The Holocene is but a blink in the existence of life-bearing Earth. Ignoring everything prior completely invalidates the research.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

Global warming has propelled Earth's climate from one of its coldest decades since the last ice age to one of its hottest -- in just one century.

A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

"If any period in time had a sustained temperature change similar to what we have today, we would have certainly seen that in our record," he said. It is a good indicator of just how fast man-made climate change has progressed.

It's supposed to be cold

The Earth was very cold at the turn of the 20th century. The decade from 1900 to 1909 was colder than 95% of the last 11,300 years, the study found.

Fast forward to the turn of the 21st century, and the opposite occurs. Between 2000 and 2009, it was hotter than about 75% of the last 11,300 years.

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder, according the joint study by Oregon State University and Harvard University. Marcott was the lead author of the report on its results.

www.cnn.com...

My question is - how can you AGW skeptics out there continue to deny in the face of the overwhelming scientific evidence?

The Earth will cool down, rather rapidly. The Earth has brief warm periods but that's all, and until there are major continental shifts that change that, it will continue to be the case. Pangaea does not exist anymore, so we stay cool until then.

edit on 8-3-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The decade from 1900 to 1909 was colder than 95% of the last 11,300 years, the study found.

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder,

So... thats a good thing, isnt it?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is the end of the last ice-age, the more ice melts the less heat is reflected the more heat is trapped., compounding exponentially every year. This is the first time humans have been able to record such changes to the degree we can now, the question is how tainted is the data, Sure we might contribute a little, but that in no way changes what is going on.
Can we stop it Na not at all we ether adapt and survive and don't and perish, simple.

Change is change we are just ants on a planet that have no real control.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's amazing how extremist politics can be injected into almost any subject these days.

What gets lost in these debates is the very simple idea that no matter what the cause might be, we need to prepare for the effect.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
reply to post by redtic

to what end hmm funding

Oh, I see - they are lying so they can get more funding so they can continue to lie. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense..

So what was the average temps of 8345 years ago to 8545 years ago, How is the temps derived to 100% accuracy with out the recorded data..?

I don't know - ask the authors of the paper.

Here's a brief description of how they did it:

Marcott et al. (p. 1198) constructed a record of global mean surface temperature for more than the last 11,000 years, using a variety of land- and marine-based proxy data from all around the world.

Here's a link to the paper - www.sciencemag.org... - I'm sure they describe their methods in detail since it's a peer reviewed journal.
edit on 8-3-2013 by redtic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The decade from 1900 to 1909 was colder than 95% of the last 11,300 years, the study found.

If not for man-made influences, the Earth would be in a very cold phase right now and getting even colder,

I suppose we shall see in 100 years or so..

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's amazing how extremist politics can be injected into almost any subject these days.

What gets lost in these debates is the very simple idea that no matter what the cause might be, we need to prepare for the effect.

Yeah, only problem is there's a significant number that won't even recognize the fact that *something* is going on, irregardless of the cause..

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by redtic

I'm saying that they are biased, yes.

Note how the article poses ZERO scientific evidence for their claims, nor links to the results of the study.

Umm, it's a CNN article, not the actual paper..

Here's the paper: www.sciencemag.org...

When compared to the last ice age, YES we are in a warmer period. To suggest that there should be a slow and constant warming to some kind of stasis is both unscientific and completely ignorant of Earth's history. The Holocene is but a blink in the existence of life-bearing Earth. Ignoring everything prior completely invalidates the research.

OK then - you seem to have done some research on the topic. Show me your peer reviewed paper, or any other peer reviewed paper, that refutes what's stated in the paper I've linked.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Yeah, only problem is there's a significant number that won't even recognize the fact that *something* is going on, irregardless of the cause..

Ah, so already you have changed from "Man-made global warming" to *something* is going on.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I believe that AGW is what governments want people to believe is happening so that they can justify their carbon taxes etc.

The earths climate is changing, it is becoming more extreme.

What is causing this however is unknown.

I happen to think our climate is driven by sun spot activity. Currently we are experiencing a low number of sunspots for a solar maximum, very similar to what is believed to have caused the maunder minimum. I would post links but I'm on my mobile phone. However I'm sure Google can help you out.

All I know is I'm going to be buying a lot more winter weather gear as good old blighty gets even colder in the coming years.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
What a load of fantastical crap.

The Earth has only warmed a fraction of a single degree in the last 150 years. That's also known as unusual climate stability.

I see CNN is busy advancing the leftist agenda, after ignoring the Rand Paul filibuster. That wasn't news, but the globull warming fairy-tale is.

Global temperatures also seem to uncannily mirror solar activity, which can be affected by massively raising taxes on everyone, how exactly?

Too bad the dinosaurs didn't think to raise taxes to prevent that comet, hmm?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sorry wants a paid sub to read the full paper mate, All I know is things are changing, And the 2 boats I have on my roof will come in handy one day, just have to wait until the ocean rises high enough to float them off

edit on 8-3-2013 by Legion2024 because: 11:11

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

I suppose we shall see in 100 years or so..

we'll see in less than 100. i believe what the article says.... and i think in 50 years our planet will be very different. i don't think we will have time to adapt.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It's supposed to be cold

www.cnn.com...

So I have to wonder, what is your goal? I live in a very conservative area and the main schtick with Global Warming is that liberals want to tax the hell out of everyone and every corporation over it. That isn't going to fix the environment! Al Gore is now richer than Mitt Romney. Has all the money Al made from global warming speeches fixed anything? Of course not, he flies all over the world with his entourage. And when he's not flying everywhere he's at home living in his giant mansion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join