It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea ends non-aggression pacts with South

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

North Korea ends non-aggression pacts with South

rt.com

North Korea "abrogates all agreements on non-aggression reached between the North and the South,"

"It notifies the South side that it will immediately cut off the North-South hotline,"

calling on troops to be ready for a confrontation with the enemy, Yonhap news agency reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Threats from North Korea have been given multiple times, most of which are ignored. North Korea seems to do nothing to back these threats up. With their new capability to launch nuclear weapons, is the end of non-aggression going to lead to them simply attack South Korea? or using their newest nuclear technology?

Can this be seen as another threat, that leads to nothing?

rt.com

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by A51TR3B

Threats from North Korea have been given multiple times, most of which are ignored. North Korea seems to do nothing to back these threats up. With their new capability to launch nuclear weapons, is the end of non-aggression going to lead to them simply attack South Korea? or using their newest nuclear technology?

Can this be seen as another threat, that leads to nothing?

rt.com

They dedonated a nuclear weapon in unpopulated land as a show of intention and capabilities.
edit on 7-3-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Recent events when it comes to the Koreas has certainly escalated theres no doubt about that.

The problem is North Korea issues threats 7 days a week and never delivers so nobody honestly knows anymore.

They have the capabilities to do major damage but unless china joins they have no way of winning. They also arnt able to strike the US with nukes...possibly south korea but the only way the hit the US mainland is through sleeper cells and conventional bombs they just dont have the tech to use ICBM's

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Like the others have said, its no telling with NK. Its basically turning out like the boy who cried wolf story. Though, hopefully the wolf never shows up in this one.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420
The problem is North Korea issues threats 7 days a week and never delivers so nobody honestly knows anymore.

Of course they do. That's a Brilliant military strategy. This way when we wake up tomorrow and the real Red Dawn or real Homefront FPS video game happens, we won't be prepared and everyone will be dumbfounded.

Korea remember has allies too. We have been letting god only knows who into this country for years and there could be thousands of sleeper cells with dirty suitcase nukes all around us, just waiting to heed the call.

If so, Korea would have the ability to utterly destroy us with our military spread so thin.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
this time feels different to me...

kinda worried they might not b bluffing this time,I really hope its the same old song n dance!!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The thing I always got from the childhood story about the "Boy who cried wolf," is the wolf eventually showed up.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
For what its worth a few things to note -

* - There is no non agression treaty between the 2 Koreas. The Korean war never ended... There is and always has been a truce / cease fire in effect. The 2 nations remain, technically, at war.

* - The current leader of N. Korea has a lot to prove. He has gone on a spree of firing top military officals who were loyal to his father. He has also had minister pose for rifle fire. He was born into the myth that his family are descendents of Gods (yes, they ruling family actually beleives this, in addition to creating golf and the internet). Take that mentality, factor in his age, and we have a very unstable situation. In most cases the old leaders were verbal however they knew how international affairs worked. This new leader, by virtue of his age, does in fact have soemthing to prove, which means I could see him starting a war.

* - China, always the wild card, introduced an unstable element when it signed onto the UN sanctions this go around. I say this because China has always been the stalwart ally in the eyes of the N. Koreans. China has been the one to propr up their economy and military while also keeping the peace.

The scary part -
With the Chinese latest move to support the sanctions, the N. Korean leader could very well think China has abandoned them. Without their main ally, their source of food, energey, military etc etc etc, the N. Korean leadership may very well feel they have nothing to lose anymore by acting on their own. Again this goes back to the age and experience of the N. Korean leader. Something to prove... In this part of the scenario its they dont need China.. they can go it on their own.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
TextText

Does that government even understand the implications of starting a war here, specially a nuclear one...there are no winners in a nuclear war. I know, i know...so far they've been all bark and no bite, but there was this one occasion of a bit of a conflict in the border last year, i think missiles, explosions and death were involved. Their dictator is a quack and frankly, the possibility of actually backing up their threads with action can never be completely ruled out with those people.
edit on 8-3-2013 by StrawHatBrian because: grammar

edit on 8-3-2013 by StrawHatBrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It'd be the worst strategy ever if they opened with their highest card by tossing a nuke.

If they were to do anything overtly aggro, it'd be ideal for them to start with a planned regime of controversial 'oopsy' incidents like 'accidentally' sailing a ship into a no-no zone where it destroys a target of mediocre, or nominal importance, but nothing that would trigger retaliation.
Oopsy incidents could gradually grow bolder, take form in asymmetrical terrorist-like attacks such as car bombings, or mor militaristic like launching a single conventional missile into Seoul on random days once a week but never ever never going all out full commitment.

The oopsy incidents would need be designed to force Chinese and Russian commitment to involvement with little to no room for backing out.

Eventually, sure, yeah, once all the big-boy powers get all their big-boy toys and equipment in place, and it's safe for free for all shooting to get going, confident that all the big boy powers will do most of the fighting, then, all-out total war could be strategically viable.
Throwing a nuke, however, would always have to be held as a trump card, something always dangling as an imminent threat to ensure big bad USA doesn't do anything too rash.

edit on 8-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Yes, regretably and i have suspected for a while now that the North Koreans are gonna let off a nuke from within the USA or other western country. Suitcase bomb by a lone agent.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
South Korea is a much larger threat to North Korea than North Korea is to the south.

- The North Korean army has enough fuel and ammunition reserves to MAYBE sustain one week of offensive operations. South Korea can engage in virtually unlimited warfighting.
- The North Korean military uses 1970s-era technology. South Korea flies 5th gen fighters and uses U.S.-purchased, state-of-the-art weapons.
- North Korea has 1/3 the population and 1/10 the GDP of South Korea.
- North Korea's entire annual military budget ($6 billion - you read that right six ... SIX billion) is the size of the annual operating budget of a single US aircraft carrier.

The Worker's Party of Korea is engaging in defensive bluster. They fear an impending US-led attack and are hoping to instill enough psychological apprehension to forestall it.

The U.S. should withdraw from South Korea yesterday. This kind of tension-building serves the U.S. interests and the U.S. ruling oligarchy.

edit on 8-3-2013 by AtticusRye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I watched a news report that had been broadcast on North Korean TV showing the new leader, Kim Jong-Un, out meeting his glorious army on maneuvers. As he stood gazing through his binoculars, pointing and pretending to be giving strategic orders to the surrounding generals, the camera kept cutting away to shots of a HUGE target on a hillside, marked out in white, with some extremely optimistic smaller targets within the boundary, whilst barely modernized WWII vintage artillery and 'katushka' rockets pounded away. Camera shows tank firing- camera shows explosion on hillside a long way from target. Camera shows multiple rocket launcher fire- about a third of projectiles explode shortly after launch, the rest scatter widely across the hillside- not one land inside the outer target ring. This sequence of shots repeated with various pieces of vintage Chinese/Russian designed hardware, indispersed with shots of the 'Great Leader' looking pleased for around 3 minutes. In that time, the nearest 'hit' was on the actual target ring itself. If it hadnt been so sinister it would have been hilarious.

The NK Army may be massive, but lacks any decent modern battlefield technology and seems to be based on 1950's designed Communist hardware with some 'modern' upgrading, and it makes me cringe to think of the carnage that would be visited by both sides if a war with a modern militarized nation took place. Im sure your average NK soldier is well motivated, but would just be meat for the grinder once helicopter gunships, smart missiles and modern armor were encountered.

I really, really hope we dont see this happen.........

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm wondering actually if the ordinary conscript soldier would surrender as soon as it left North Korean terroritry. If they did that in their thousands the regieme would crumble and their families etc would be safe from reprisals. After all the Iraq Army surrended in their thousands too without firing a shot. Something worth mulling over! I would hope this would happen. It will save an awful lot of lives.

new topics

top topics

join