It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US's $60bn Iraq rebuilding effort 'achieved little'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I did a search and did not find this posted. If it has been, MODs, please delete and link to first thread.

The US rebuilding effort in Iraq achieved little despite $60bn (£40bn) spent since the 2003 invasion, a US auditor for reconstruction has said.

Stuart Bowen put the "limited positive effects" down to corruption, poor security and insufficient consultation with Iraqi authorities.

The eight-year war in Iraq cost the US about $800bn and nearly 5,000 lives.

In Learning from Iraq, a final report to the US Congress before his office ceases operations, Mr Bowen says the failures in Iraq offer lessons for reconstruction efforts elsewhere.

And Kurdish official Qubad Talabani told auditors: "You think if you throw money at a problem, you can fix it. It was just not strategic thinking."

It's a good thing we "learned" from a 800 billion dollar "mistake" and know what to do next time... However, the US is in such a state of dismay, would that $800,000,000,000 been better spent on something else? Like the US economy? Why do we have to be the world police and bank? I understand helping out other countries, but lets fix ours first.

Do you think we should worry about our countries financial predicament first and then look at helping others?

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 7-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I guess you shouldn't have blown their country up for no reason. That gets expensive.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Who says it accomplished little? A small group of people got $60b richer. Thta was the way the whole thing was designed from the start. In the famous words of GWB, 'Mission accomplished."

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

I know... That will make ME rethink bombing another country... *sarcasm*

Way to group ALL of the USA with the decisions of a few....

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Who says it accomplished little? A small group of people got $60b richer. Thta was the way the whole thing was designed from the start. In the famous words of GWB, 'Mission accomplished."

So, around 5,000 Americans were destined to loose their lives and that was part of the "mission"?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
"Shucky darn, we goofed again and achieved nothing of any significance. Bummers dudes. How could grossly rich and intelligent people like us make these same mistakes over and over and over. My rich buddies at Haliburton are crying in their crepe suzettes over this and wiping away the tears with $100 bills. I mean, truly they are devastated. We just live to make the world a better place. You know this is true because our buddies that own the media outlets tell you it's so.

Rest assured you wonderful slave peasant Americans, we love you soooo much and will do better next time...

This will never ever happen again. Honest injun....!!"

edit on 7-3-2013 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
it was all a big make work project that benefited people in high places..the money went to haliburton and others like..stevie wonder could see it

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It's like Sam Kinison said, "Hey, everybody...IT'S Sand. Guess what it'll be in 1000 years? SAND!"

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As I am sure Halliburton profited, it makes me wonder if any "un-named" organizations also benefited. Do you think any organizations are even more well armed because of "mistakes"? We did such things with other "Coalition forces".

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
It's like Sam Kinison said, "Hey, everybody...IT'S Sand. Guess what it'll be in 1000 years? SAND!"

Very few quotes make me literally "laugh out loud"... that did. LOL

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Very few quotes make me literally "laugh out loud"... that did. LOL

lol I'm glad you laughed. I had too! I can still hear Sam yelling that. "We've got deserts in America, we just dont live in them!"

edit on 7-3-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know the whole charade was for oil, but does that justify the expense? (American troops and money)

Any head of a corporation, if they lost 800 billion, would be berated, blacklisted, and hung.. why not our own government?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Actually it invalidates "Hearts and Minds" efforts as they would be applied in the middle east.Nobody recognizes the sacrifice or effort I guess the lesson here is just kill them, apparently.
Too bad.
But we always do try to wear the white hat anyway,so Why bother?
No more Mr.Nice Guy.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

there arent any repurcusions for the govt usually..govt or whoever is really pulling the strings

edit on 7-3-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
One thing comes to mind when I think of Iraq.. All Round Failure.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It did a lot:

1. It made people feel really good about destroying a country, tons of photo ops.

2. The War brought Iraq into the IMF money fold, now all of their DU ridden assets are part of the IMF fund, and they are free to borrow against them if they choose, the rebuilding after bombing was compensation.

3. It took 60 billion out of the US economy and that kept inflation in check for a few more months, as money removed from the US never to return allows for more printing without fear of inflation.

4. The war/rebuild helped us take over the oil production, allowing the market to remain in the petro-dollar world for a little while longer, allowing inflation to be kept in check, see number three.

5. Employed a bunch of people, who's lousy work would not have held up anywhere else.

I'd say it was money well spent.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Can't say it feels better to me.Not after the troop losses.
Just for money,what a hell this is.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

So, around 5,000 Americans were destined to loose their lives and that was part of the "mission"?

500, 5,000, 50,000, it doesn't really matter to those creating the conflict for profit. Those dying are just the little people, pawns to be moved around the chessboard and of little or no interest, other than perhaps a couple of hand-wringing photo ops as another bunch of flag draped coffins fly home.

As for the "rebuilding" effort, I remember several years ago seeing a news report about a bridge that had been damaged by USAF bombing. Iraqi engineers surveyed the bridge and reported back that the damage was largely superficial and the bridge itself was still structurally sound. They put in a cost estimate of around $30,000 to clean up the mess and get it open again. Along comes the big US corporation tasked with bidding for the repair and rebuild of the bridge, and puts in an estimate of $3Million. Guess who won the repair contract?

The whole Iraq debacle was one BIG money laundering and profit making scheme from start to finish - is it actually over yet? - and a lot of people did very well indeed from those profits. In fact, nearly all of the wars in modern times can be traced back to the bankers as the instigators, not really what we are taught in school or endless "history" programmes. Money is the big driver here, and control of it, or the debt that the wars create is the real goal, as through debt comes control.

top topics

join