It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops advise making ‘noise,’ ‘scream,’ use bleach to ward off home invasions [VIDEO]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Now someone needs to ask the police what they would do if a home invader came into their house. I guarantee not a one of them will suggest screaming and getting the bleach.

So double standard that it's sickening.

If someone comes uninvited into your home threatening your livelihood I suggest giving them lead poisoning. Illegally or not. Just as the police officer would.

One of the female officers said she would use "bleach or ammonia" on the intruder. I don't believe she would do this, she has a gun..

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Whats really amusing, is that the suggestions are so impractical, whereas there ARE practical suggestions that COULD have been made that do not involve firearms, even though firearms would be your best bet at countering a home invasion.

How about bear spray? Its like a small fire extinguisher can filled with mace or something that shoots like 15 feet out in a huge cone.

Or a katana? A razor sharp katana can literally sever a man in two. You know thats a good solution, because its banned in the UK!

How about a bow/crossbow? The distances we are taking about are so small, its really a relatively easy target to hit, and since youre so close, that arrow/bolt is going to do significant and probably fatal damage.

They just want to condition people to be more dependent and reliable on "authority", and forgo taking personal responsibility over their own lives.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
what happens when the home invader uses a flash grenade , and calls for back up ? most of the home invaders these days are operating under the color of law , and the equipment that they are issued are more than likely splash proof , not to mention i dont think screaming will have much affect on their kevlar helmets.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
With current budget cuts ongoing and a Way overextended State and Federal government I see possible reductions in police protection in the near future. I think this is the deep down reason that so many people are buying guns lately.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7
These methods are the counter stones of self defense. If you learn self defense one of the first things you will be taught is to yell/scream during a potential attack to bring attention to the attack and try to avoid physical conflict, you will also be taught to scream/yell "during" a conflict if it occurs, it not only distracts your attacker more, but also helps you release more energy into your blows, so you can then defend yourself be it palm heels to the face/kicks to shins etc. so you can then run away from said attacker. These counter stones apply to any self defense.
I know plenty about self defense, and the yell is not to bring attention to the attack, or avoid physical conflict. It's to startle your enemy and commence to issuing an attack. You're right about the energy being released in your blows, but you're wrong about running away after subduing your opponent. If he has a weapon, after you subdue him, you take the weapon, not run away.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
With current budget cuts ongoing and a Way overextended State and Federal government I see possible reductions in police protection in the near future. I think this is the deep down reason that so many people are buying guns lately.

That's a good thought, and it really speaks for itself when record numbers of guns have been sold, and record number of background checks have cleared. Just looking at those numbers alone can give you a clear idea of the thoughts most Americans have on government.

It's sad that these cops used every other worthless method in the book instead of the right method to protect yourself. They just want to play the super hero and make you believe they can protect you all the time, and you can see it by the way they presented their methods. You are the victim, they are the hero.. even if it takes them 20 minutes to show up, and you're already dead.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Cops can advise all they want. Anyone comes in my front door uninvited, I'm shooting.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The police have already made it publicly clear that it is not their job to protect you. They enforce laws (as they see fit), serve as revenue agents, and fill out paperwork after the fact. If your plan is to rely on 911 and the police to save you from a life or death situation, you will end up dead.

Sadly so many people these days have bought into this learned helplessness and live their lives as victims instead of taking charge & responsibility for their own survival.

Q: "But, what would we do without police?"

A: The same thing you SHOULD be doing now. It's YOUR life. Fight for it.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Oh, well I'm sorry I missed the step regarding removing the weapon (if they have one) from attacker before running. But you get my point. The point of self defense is to issue a few blows but ultimately flee and not stick around for round 2.

Another use for screaming/yelling is to reduce the pain from blows dealt to your own body. You do not want to be holding your breath while you're getting hit, especially in the face or stomach. Releasing air from your lungs can save your life while you're being hit.

Source: I know plenty about it too I practiced it at a professional institute for 5 years.

edit on 6-3-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Originally posted by rickymouse

That's a good thought, and it really speaks for itself when record numbers of guns have been sold, and record number of background checks have cleared. Just looking at those numbers alone can give you a clear idea of the thoughts most Americans have on government.

It's sad that these cops used every other worthless method in the book instead of the right method to protect yourself. They just want to play the super hero and make you believe they can protect you all the time, and you can see it by the way they presented their methods. You are the victim, they are the hero.. even if it takes them 20 minutes to show up, and you're already dead.

The local cops around here aren't bad. A majority of households around here have deer rifles. Lots of guns are passed down from relatives here. Many of the young think that the police can be there in an instant to protect them. That is not reality. It could take them fifteen to twenty minutes or more sometimes. That could be too late.

I remember when most people didn't even lock their doors when I was growing up. Those times are gone.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I agree, the neighborhood I live in currently, and grew up in has gone down the tubes. it fell apart over the past 10 years or so, and it has invited crime. I've taken necessary steps to protect myself and my fiance until we can afford to move out, and buy a new home in a nicer neighborhood.. it would be really hard to sell this house/land for much considering the way the neighborhood is, but I have a home to live in and it works.. may not be in the best place, but I can manage.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Small known fact that has been conveniently ignored: the police have no duty to protect you.

Im not kidding:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6-3-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Oh, well I'm sorry I missed the step regarding removing the weapon (if they have one) from attacker before running. But you get my point. The point of self defense is to issue a few blows but ultimately flee and not stick around for round 2.

Another use for screaming/yelling is to reduce the pain from blows dealt to your own body. You do not want to be holding your breath while you're getting hit, especially in the face or stomach. Releasing air from your lungs can save your life while you're being hit.

Source: I know plenty about it too I practiced it at a professional institute for 5 years.

edit on 6-3-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)
I understand where you're coming from, I was just stating how I was taught. Got into boxing and martial arts around 12, plus I come from a military family. I guess I tend to multi-task.
And you're dead on about that yell.

ETA: In all actuality, self defense isn't about stunning your opponent and then running, it's about putting him down, and you can walk away. Once you have him stunned, don't let up. But that's just me. Peace bro.
edit on 6-3-2013 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Right. I support guns and the use of guns.
Although the point of my post was to show that the Title of the thread, what the cops said, is ultimately right (and not everybody HAS guns and will THINK to grab them as a first instinct during home invasion) The point is to FIRST try to AVOID the conflict before it happens by thus drawing attention to it, and although a gun is useful, should be a last resortWe should not be wanting to shooting dead home intruders as a first protocol, we need to be trying to avoid contact with them as the FIRST measure, not initiate killing them as a first measure. You may save your OWN life by practicing avoidance.

I like this. But my fear is what if the person can't scream loud enough? I know that my voice breaks. Although I bet I could make a wild shriek.

What kind of screams/shout is it supposed to be? Like "I'm your worst nightmare." or "We got a burglar in our house, somebody help!"
edit on 6-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I'm a lady, "bro."
We all have variations as to what we were taught. As long as it works that's what counts, right.

Have a good night, bro.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
A face full of Caustic Soda sprayed from one of those pump action water guns might just stop someone in their tracks, after it's blinded them!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

In no way agree with ding dong Biden with his double barrel analogy, but yes a shotgun is a good hold out home defense gun. Have a vault with like a lighted up keypad for at night and 4 digit code. takes seconds to open it. Get ya something like a spaz12 semi auto that holds like 8+1 or even 8+1+ghost if you want to get dirty. Just take off the safety and she's ready to rock and roll. Mix it up with some 00, slugs, AP sabots. Get a side saddle of 5 more. No burglar, alien, or demon is going to come hurt you. Then casually call the police to come mop up your floor.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
I like the idea of making a lot of noise. That is why i disaprove of 7 round mags. It limits the noise you can make.

reluctantpawn

Between the responses from the cops and that post, I don't know which one provided more comic relief.

Kinda like the old joke......What does gun control mean to you? Using both hands

I don't really get involved with these discussions because I'm not an owner, I just wanted to say thanx for the laugh.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I have experience with and own weapons, but also stay in countries a lot where these things aren't around. I understand the point the OP and others are making buuuuut ... some of it I just can't agree with.

Persons will throw shoes at me, buuuuuuuut ...

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think once you choose to fight, you've entered a fight for your life ...whether you realize it or not. You or the bad guy are dying that day... [sic] not likely by the criminal deciding that way while in the same end position.

My advice without a gun is simply. You are GOING TO DIE if you don't fight like it.

What I'm talking about is killing by any means necessary.

Originally posted by Hefficide
Cops can advise all they want. Anyone comes in my front door uninvited, I'm shooting.

A lot of this is going to needlessly escalate a situation that can be controlled. Most burglars don't want to hurt or kill anyone, they want easy targets the majority of the time. They are often poor, desperate, or they have some other issues that make them do these things.

I'm not saying don't defend yourself, but as a person picking up weapon (knife, gun or rock in a sock) I think your loved ones, yourself, and the person you will attack deserve some research so you know what you're getting into. Yelling is not the worst advice ever.

Stats are not from a mega recent study (2003 - 2007) but I think it doesn't matter ... you should try to be aware of the state of the area you are living in when making these decisions:

27.6% of burglaries, a household member was present during the burglary. In 26% of that figure,there was a victim of violent crime. Source

So is about a 1 in 4 chance of a 'violent crime' when someone invades your home if you are home. Not good numbers so far, but we keep going.

In 10.9% of violent burglaries rape or serious injury was involved. 55.7% involved no injury. 33.4% were classified as minor injury. Source

Now is looking a bit better. Roughly this means (I did maths quick, so maybe mistakes) if you're home when a burglar enters:

2.83% chance of rape or serious injury
14.42% no injury but violence occurs
8.684% minor injury

11.514 % chance of any injury at all, 2.83% of that chance of is serious injury or rape.

Offenders were known to their victims in 65% of violent burglaries; offenders were strangers in 28%. Rest are classified as 'unknown offender' due to lack of information. Source

Around half of the known people are partners / intimates / ex persons. I guess violence is more likely when it's personal.

Further to this, 61% of offenders are unarmed and 12% actually bring a gun of some kind. Source

It's important to know this type of information for your self defense, weapon or not. Obviously some of this will vary from area to area ... if you live in an area dominated by violent gangs that kill persons regularly and you've upset Al Pacino and owe Robert DeNiro money ... perhaps yes, you will be fighting for your life ...

Chances are though:

- The person invading your house is poor / desperate or at least not looking for a fight. By all means arm yourself buuuuuuut perhaps do not impersonate Steven Seagal and hide on the cieling with a knife in your teeth covered in vaseline

Is just my advice and thoughts sooooo can ignore. I have pointed a gun at persons on my property before, and have also had uninvited people in my home without a gun available. Am just saying that I'm not saying the following without ever having been in the situation ... the reason I think this way is cos its happened to me:

- Know in advance where weapons are in your home
- Know in advance where phone is
- Have draft text message prepared for close by neighbours
- Ensure in advance you (and loved ones) can escape every room in the house even if it means breaking glass
- Descending from the cieling like a vaseline covered bat without warning will escalate the situation ... most burglars will run if disturbed or challenged ... most humans will fight if attacked by a vaseline bat creature
- Don't corner the person ... make sure they can escape if given the oppurtunity
- Think twice if a person is leaving before attacking / chasing / shooting ... is is seductive to say they gave up their rights when they broke the law but ... you are not God.
- Know the statistics and dangers in your local area

The cops in the video didn't give the best advice ... but cops are like any other persons ... they don't honestly plan or think about these things most of the time!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

These methods are the counter stones of self defense. If you learn self defense one of the first things you will be taught is to yell/scream during a potential attack to bring attention to the attack and try to avoid physical conflict, you will also be taught to scream/yell "during" a conflict if it occurs, it not only distracts your attacker more, but also helps you release more energy into your blows, so you can then defend yourself be it palm heels to the face/kicks to shins etc. so you can then run away from said attacker. These counter stones apply to any self defense.

I did everything you describe. I fought them off for what was at least 10 minutes.

They still got smart, jumped me all at once, held me down, took my wallet and kicked me in the head with steel toed boots.

Eventually 4 guys came out of their house to help because they heard me screaming.............after 10 minutes of fighting and another 5 minutes of getting kicked in the head. 15 minutes....I might as well have called 911.

Had I had a gun, none of that would have been neccessary. Period......
edit on 7-3-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join