It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about meditation and crying/sorrow.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is a question to Buddhists, Hindus, New Agers, or just generally anybody who practices meditation and contemplation. I'm particularly interested in what Buddhists and Hindus would say about this.

At times when I contemplation, at rare times during meditation, I can end up becoming suddenly overcome with thoughts of all the pain and suffering in the world, and a crushing sorrow overcomes me. It often causes me to cry or tear up.

What I want to know is, is this normal? Am I too sensitive to the problems of the world? Would crying out of sorrow for the world be considered attachment to the Buddhist concept of samsara?

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Explanation: S&F!

Crying is a release ... and mostly it is a good thing!

However if it becomes a regular occurance and is disturbing the goal of your meditations then I recommend that you allow your body to do whatever it needs to do and that YOU retain your prime focus regardless of what is going on with you or around you ok.

Who is in control of your mind ... you or your body?

Personal Disclosure: I was given a small book that has the Dali Lama's sayings and I quote from that book directly ...

The Essence of Happiness:- A guidebook for living.

When we speak of a calm state of mind or peace of mind, we shouldn't confuse that with a totally insensitive, apathetic state of mind.
Having a calm or peaceful state of mind doesn't mean being totally spaced out or completely empty.
Peace of mind or a calm state of mind is rooted in affection and compassion.
There is a very high level of sensitivity and feeling there.

I think you are on the right path forward ok!

edit on 5-3-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

What I want to know is, is this normal?

Yes...

It shows you have a big heart... so to speak

Am I too sensitive to the problems of the world?

No... You're letting empathy get the best of you...

Focus on the inner... not the outer...

The love not the hate...

Would crying out of sorrow for the world be considered attachment to the Buddhist concept of samsara?

Perhaps...

Maybe it is a past guilt bubbling up...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thank you both for your quick replies.

As for having a big heart, I've been pretty closed off for many years up until recently. Certain events in my life made my heart very hardened, especially concerning a part of my family (my sister in particular) who I harbored anger towards, but a few months ago I forgave what she did to me and moved on. That was the healthy thing to do, there's no sense in me being angry at her, especially now that I'm not living with her anymore.

But what would that be? I've never purposely set out to hurt anybody in my life. I've especially tried to stay out of trouble, the worst illegal thing I've done is drugs when I was younger.

The only guilt I may have is out of regret for things I felt I should have done but didn't, but those all stem from unnatural expectations of myself in the past (such as feeling bad I didn't spend enough time with my mother before she died, even though I did, I still felt like I didn't).
edit on 5-3-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

As for having a big heart, I've been pretty closed off for many years up until recently. Certain events in my life made my heart very hardened, especially concerning a part of my family (my sister in particular) who I harbored anger towards, but a few months ago I forgave what she did to me and moved on. That was the healthy thing to do, there's no sense in me being angry at her, especially now that I'm not living with her anymore.

Forgiveness is divine...

But what would that be? I've never purposely set out to hurt anybody in my life. I've especially tried to stay out of trouble, the worst illegal thing I've done is drugs when I was younger.

I don't know my friend... I was just offering a possibility...

The only guilt I may have is out of regret for things I felt I should have done but didn't, but those all stem from unnatural expectations of myself in the past (such as feeling bad I didn't spend enough time with my mother before she died, even though I did, I still felt like I didn't).

Is the past real?

Or memories?

Or is now real?

The past was now as are your memories...

They are but ripples on a pond... stemming from now...

Don't hold on to past guilt... let it go...

I believe you're doing too much "contemplating" in your meditation and not enough... being...

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You're right. Here and now, the past and future are just concepts.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is normal. Meditation allows the human to relax and become receptive on a variety of levels, especially the psychic levels. When relaxed, our chakras and auric fields become a little more sensitive/perceptive to the myriad energy vibrations with which they are constantly being bombarded. We have a natural instinct to shield our being from foreign energies, and for good reason - however, being on 'shields-up' all the time is what dulls our intuitive and psychic faculties, which should be developed and sharpened. Now, although these symptoms of which you describe are not unusual, the goal of many types of meditations it to not only sharpen one's awareness and sensitivity to energies around you, but to also to learn how to manipulate these energies, or at least just how they effect you.

One method that may prove helpful is to remain braced, and not allow your being to become overwhelmed with sorrow, pain and suffering (there is to much of these things as it is, and you absorbing them isn't helping anything, but only adding yet one more person experiencing them). Thus, remain poised and learn how to flex your psychic muscles to not allow these vibes to penetrate your being, unless of course that is your Will.

A second approach involves recognizing these feelings, or vibes, and aiming to mitigate their effect by promoting the universal power of love. However, in order to do this, one must offer herself as a vessel, or current for this power, and then aim to be filled with this love (which will, ideally, remove the shadows of these feelings from one's consciousness). Then, this gift must be visualised over the Earth and all her creatures, and given freely. Done a few times over without much straining, this method is extremely helpful in these matters.

All the Best!
xox

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
All great input and advice read from my end so far. I'd like to take it a step further, and indicate that feeling sorrow is actually a good thing. Without a doubt I feel an increased empathy for physical world realities more and more when I meditate... even parlaying into added empathy's and sorrows as I carry on in the physical world as well.

Putting religion aside, I believe the practice of meditation actually forces humans to live life through the heart, more so than the mind. As we meditate, physical and spiritual worlds mingle until we can settle into the subconscious spiritual world. Connecting to the spiritual world aids to raise our frequencies and connect to the oneness of life... enlightenment so to speak. I wouldn't trade those feelings for anything, as I have found much more wisdom and truths in the spiritual world of meditation than I ever having in the logic behaviors of the brain in the physical world.

For me, I believe it is impossible to live life through the processes of the heart and brain simultaneously... settling into choosing one of the two makes things much easier to cope with. Many hardships and conflicts seem to be present when the two are meshed together to find truths. It has led me to strive to live life from the heart, as questioned truths that the heart has provided have proven to be much wiser than the brains logic. It's a never ending work in progress though.

When the brain is to become no longer living, the heart lives on forever. Enlightenment gained prior to entering the spiritual world full time will enable our increased frequencies to experience wonders never imagined... wonders that are possibly not available to those which deny the truths of enlightenment found through meditation.

I wish added peace to the processes of finding enlightenment in your life, and that you find that the sorrowful feelings carried with the pursuit is something to be proud of, as the joys of the journey will prevail. As odd as it may sound, what you have is a gift of which few people will ever experience.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

It's normal, but there is one bit of insight I would like to add that no one else has seemed to address. When you meditate, you are entering a...kind of battlefield...between soul and ego. While the negativity (even crying, negative, violent, hateful, disturbing thoughts too) can be a release, they are also a bit of a hurdle.

These negative and disturbing thoughts (and sometimes spontaneous bouts of tears) are just the ego's way of fighting back. Ego is afraid of losing this war with soul. These negative feelings are actually a sneaky trick and try to persuade the meditator to abandon their efforts. Do not abandon!

You will reach a point where the sorrow will stop because ego has accepted its inevitable loss in this battle. Keep meditating, and victory is sure to be yours! The sorrow will soon be replaced with spontaneous giggling and bubbling bliss.

The whole allegory of the Bhagavad Gita is about this inner conflict. The Pandus vs the Kurus = good vs evil = soul vs ego.

edit on 6-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Yes indeed... since I started kundalini yoga 6 weeks ago I've noticed an escalation in the battle. The ego has many tricks. Plus, we are more open to the negative energies floating around in the collective psyche. We have to transform them and release them. It's a real bitch.

edit on 7-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

Plus, we are more open to the negative energies floating around in the collective psyche.

Yes, this is true. By taking on the yogic journey of meditation, we are inviting every weapon in ego's arsenal to attempt to strike us down. It's almost as if we have entered into a contract that says, "Give it your best shot, and if you can't beat me, you leave forever."

Boy, I must have said something right this time...this is the first time you have ever agreed with me on the subject of meditations.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Yep, we live in strange times indeed if I agree with you! This song is for you my friend.

edit on 7-3-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Meditation is about finding your true self but you are meditating to contemplate which is 'thinking'.
You are obsessed with your thinking as most humans are. When the thinking stops and you see what is there prior to thought - you will be amazed.
The 'thinking' will never give you any peace - the 'thinking' is what clouds the vision. The 'thinking' is the noise but the noise cannot appear if there is nowhere for it to appear. Find the still, peaceful backdrop that you are and when you do you will have found your true self.
When you have found your true self as the still, calm, silent witness of all that arises you will not worry about what arises, instead you will embrace life fully. The emptiness will be filled and there will be completeness - wholeness - oneness.

new topics

top topics

join