It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sumerian Vampire Cult.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
There are scattered referances in Sumerian/Mesopotamian literature to seven vampiric Demons, the Gallu, the tradition for this would appear to date back to at least the 3rd Millenia BC, and seems to suggest a most intriguing background, in which the primordial rulers of the cosmos were overthrown and remained ever vengeful within the Netherworld were they had been consigned.

The text that best outlines the seven;

tukkū Lemnūtu tablet 5

Weakening both heaven and earth, the spirit weakens lands,
the demon, whose arms are lofty, weakens lands,
the one whose arms are lofty and his gait is lofty.
The galla-demon is a goring ox, a great ghost,
a ghost who always climbs over all the houses.
The gallu-demons, the Seven of whom have no shame,
know not how to act kindly.
They ground down the land like flour,
and know not how to spare (anyone),
raging against people,
eating flesh, causing blood to flow, (then) drinking from the veins.

At this time they are the very images of the gods
in the house of the Holy Mound where the Ewe and Wheat abound -
the gallu-demons are filled with malevolence,
they do not cease consuming blood.
Adjure them with the oath, so that they never return to the nook and corner.
They have been adjured by heaven and they have been adjured by earth.

Apart from these seven, there was also Lamashtu, there is some suggestion that she was the Mother of these vampires, in her own right she was terrible;

-x šar-ka i-ka-al "
...she [Lamashtu] drinks blood"

-us.ku.ku.mes suh.nu.tum.mu.mes : akil da-mi la mupparkuti sunu
"they (the demons) are incessant drinkers of blood"

su bi.in.ku.ku.mes mud sur.sur.mes us.nag.mes : akil siri musaznin
da-me satu usiati
"eaters of flesh, who cause blood to flow, who drink (the blood of
the) veins

She is fierce, she is terrible,
she is a goddess, she is an Amorite
and she is a she-wolf,
the daughter of heaven.
Her ... is the nest ...
[...of] the threshold is [her] place.
...she drinks blood,
she strangles babies, the weak(?) ones
she gives water of...to drink.

Anu begot her, Ea reared her,
Enlil doomed her a dog's face.
She is tiny of hands,
She is long of finger, long(er still) of nail.
Her forearms(?) are ...
She came right in the front door,
Slithering over the (door)post casing!
She slithered over the (door)post casing,
She has caught sight of the baby!
Seven seizures has she done him in his belly!
Pluck out your nails! Let loose your arms!
Before he gets to you, Ea, the warrior, as sage for the task.
The (door)post casing is big enough for you,
the doors are open,
Come then, be gone into the (door)post casing!
They will surely fill your mouth with dust, your face with sand,
With fine-ground mustard seeds they will fill your eyes!
I exorcise you by Ea's curse; you must be gone!

Were it gets really interesting is that the Father of the Seven appears to be Enmeshar;

In O.R. Gurney’s study of the Sultan Tepe tablets, a particular myth appears to mention Enmesharra –

the daughters of…Lamashtu..and Enmeshar,
. sprinkle them [with water] of ….”

Gurney writes:
“There are seven children of whom four are female but the allusion here to two daughters is obscure, as is the identity of the first deity mention [the one that would be before Enmeshar if text werent broken]. “ Gurney hesitates to interpet the logogram in the damaged area as “Lamashtu” as others have done

The name Enmeshar translates as 'Lord of the ME', the Me or Mes tablets were the written functions of authority, every aspect of life was governed by a Mes Tablet, the holder having power of that aspect, the Tablet of Destinies was such that it gave absolute authority over Creation, as held by Enlil.

The suggestion is that Enmeshar had been the first holder of the Mes tablets, in later myth Inanna tircks Anu and Enlil out of their Mes tablets and becomes Queen of Heaven, or Ninmesharra, 'Lady of the Me', thus again there was seen to be a shift in the balance of power.

Binsbergen/Wiggermann

The opposition of m e / partsu and n a m t a r / shimtu is not just conceptually implied, but turns out to be made explicit in third millennium cosmogony. 40 Herein a cosmic ocean, N a m m a , produces a proto-universe, Heaven and Earth undivided. In a series of stages, all represented by gods, Heaven and Earth produce the Holy Mound (d u k u g ), which in its turn produces E n l i l , ‘Lord Ether’, who by his very existence separates Heaven and Earth. E n l i l , representing the space between Heaven and Earth, the sphere of human and animal life, organises what he finds by his decisions (n a m t a r / shimtu), and thus puts everything into place: the universe becomes a cosmos. Before being permanently subjected, however, the primordial universe (Heaven and Earth) rebels; its representative, a member of the older generation of gods, E n m e sh a r r a , ‘Lord All M e ’, tries to usurp E n l i l ’s prerogative to n a m t a r / shimtu (i.e. prerogative to make decisions). He is defeated by E n l i l and incarcerated in the netherworld for good. The myth can be read as a theistically-slanted argument on two modes of defining order: an immutable cosmological order (m e / partsu) whose unmistakable champion is E n m e sh a r r a , against a protean, individual-centred, volitional, anthropomorphic order, whose champion is E n l i l .

The children of Enmeshar then are the vengeful Seven, associated with the Pleides

you are the statues of Sebettu, the great god]s,
the son[s of Enmesharra, who hold] furious [weapons],
having gir[t a quiver (on the side), holding a d[agger
leve[ling the mountains....]
killers, [tireless...]
Because of the evil ones

Unto Enmešarra, the adorned, speaking the word,
Marduk has spoken thus:
"Oh lord, steady-one, thy children are these seven.
Once again mightily I will work their overthrow".
When Enmešarra heard this,
'Woe' he said, and his mind became frenzied.
He opened his mouth and said this word:
Too mighty is their condemnation, my word is spoken".
. Nergal opened his mouth,
. Speaking the word to Enmešarra, the adorned:
From the beginning,
Yea from the beginning,
This one has has wrought thy desolation

The oil and honey which is cast into the gutter, is cast as a representation of thier blood.
The 19th day, which they call the Silence, is when he vanquished Anu and the Pleiades, the sons of Enmesharra

The ... of the lord, the raven is his mole; it is the ghost of Enmešarra, (which) keeps crying: "Burn me, burn me

An obscure and little known scenario, but like i said, intriguing...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It's always nice to read about the Sumers and their history and culture.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Another interesting read Kantzveldt
1 wonders is there a connection to these mentioned bulls and the APIS. So much genetics materials w/ potential Splicing attributes w/?

wont get too deep, but... Keeping in mind to not underestimating the EA*RTHS technological potentials. Can you imagine the FINDS that would astonish many if they were shared in public showing some in still tact form/preserved.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Their strength is compared to the ox, but i don't think they were understood as bulls, they appear to have reptillian characteristics when seen in the Lamshatu plaques, which is why they're particularly intriguing with their connection to the first primordial rule, before Enlil and the creation of mankind, who they would appear to resent...

reply to post by Tindalos2013

Indeed, this is particularly obscure material, but noteworthy for having a Primordial Deity usurped and consigned to the Netherworld, were he apparantly burns, whilst his vengeful children torment mankind ever rebellious, such a curious archetype of the psyche...
edit on 2-3-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Hiya kantzveldt, thanks for a fascinating read. Would you be able to link to the source you used as I would love to read more? Many thanks

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Yes the original research is from here, all good quality stuff...

enenuru.proboards.com...

enenuru.proboards.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Their attributed blood lust sounds like the apatite described to be carried by Watcher offspring(s) or Nephilim here. Maybe this is something that attracts SOME here the genetic - spirit energies associated with humanity. Either to feed from direct bio materials or metaphysical materials.

This is why sometimes 1 feels humans are not originated here, but somehow are here now. Because some of the past data shares (archeological finds/writes-bodies/skeletons/stories ) here seem more /carnivorous then omnivorous and humans seem like more herbivorous-omnivorous-carnivorous. And seem to be in the "middle" BLOCKED when it comes to certain activities. ( yet seemingly unaware animal life fits in ) I guess what 1 is saying is the feeding/survival traditions here in the FAR past may not of best assisted in current HUMAN design Development here on EA*RTH remember EDIN IS elsewhere? I share this to say some of them may be NATIVE which can relate to the Ultra dimensional aspect going on here. If so and they are native more so then humans maybe that is why some Gide / Oversee HERE out of the ordinary perspective of AWARNESS to upkeep the Herd.

This is another reason why 1 feels it important to KNOW who Guides/Oversee EA*RTH and who may want to re-manage it and may have TRIED in the past and didn't succeed . Their techs should be evolved now a little to better lure. Like look @ us but why then would your environment suit look Like another's if not from SAME zone?
edit on 3/2/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
S+F

Wonderful stuff.

Now, we wait for Hollywood's own vampires to get their claws into this for a "based on a true story" vampire movie.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
inanna stole the tablets of destiny, the mes tablets, from enki. she did this, according to the story, by getting him intoxicated on beer. he sent out various powerful beings to retrieve them from her.

i'm seeing a bunch of overlap between the enlil stories vs. the enki stories.
in the story of creation of humans, the 7 pleaides were 7 birth goddesses, who acted as wombs for the creation of humans or something like that. i would have to go review it again.

anyway, any time you see the word MARDUK in a text, you should be immediately suspicious of the information.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

There is some confusion regarding who held the Tablet of Destiny, Enlil or Enki, but Enlil was Enkis father and appears to have aquired the Mes Tablets initially, with Enki then put in charge of there allocation, as far as i can make out, but yes Inanna aquired the tablets from Enki.

Queen of all the ME, Radiant Light,
Life-giving Woman, beloved of An (and) Urash,
Hierodule of An, much bejeweled,
Who loves the life-giving tiara, fit for High Priestesshood,
Who grasps in (her) hand, the seven ME,
My Queen, you who are the Guardian of All the Great ME,
You have lifted the ME, have tied the ME to Your hands,
Have gathered the ME, pressed the ME to Your breast.

It was an important part of the cult of Marduk obviously defeating the primordial forces of nature, that's why one finds the odd referance to the earlier traditions in there.

reply to post by Druscilla

There is a great screen-play in there somewheres, the Mes tablets in particular are an untapped source of high questing adventure, get your hands on them and you can control everything in the Universe, incuding...

Inana, you have brought with you the office of en priest, you have brought with you the office of lagal priest, you have brought with you divinity, you have brought with you the great and good crown, you have brought with you the royal throne.

You have brought with you the noble sceptre, you have brought with you the staff and crook, you have brought with you the noble dress, you have brought with you shepherdship, you have brought with you kingship.

You have brought with you the office of egi-zi priestess, you have brought with you the office of nin-dijir priestess, you have brought with you the office of icib priest, you have brought with you the office of lu-mah priest, you have brought with you the office of gudu priest.

You have brought with you constancy, you have brought with you ......, you have brought with you ......, you have brought with you going down to the underworld, you have brought with you coming up from the underworld, you have brought with you the kur-jara priest.

You have brought with you sword and club, you have brought with you the cultic functionary saj-ursaj, you have brought with you the black garment, you have brought with you the colourful garment, you have brought with you the ...... hair-style, you have brought with you the ...... hair-style.

.You have brought with you the standard, you have brought with you the quiver, you have brought with you sexual intercourse, you have brought with you kissing, you have brought with you prostitution, you have brought with you ...... running (?).

You have brought with you forthright speech, you have brought with you deceitful speech, you have brought with you grandiloquent speech, you have brought with you ......, you have brought with you the cultic prostitute, you have brought with you the holy tavern.

You have brought with you the holy nijin-jar shrine, you have brought with you ......, you have brought with you the hierodule of heaven, you have brought with you loud musical instruments, you have brought with you the art of song, you have brought with you venerable old age.

You have brought with you heroism, you have brought with you power, you have brought with you wickedness, you have brought with you righteousness, you have brought with you the plundering of cities, you have brought with you making lamentations, you have brought with you rejoicing.

You have brought with you deceit, you have brought with you the rebel lands, you have brought with you kindness, you have brought with you being on the move, you have brought with you being sedentary.

You have brought with you the craft of the carpenter, you have brought with you the craft of the coppersmith, you have brought with you the craft of the scribe, you have brought with you the craft of the smith, you have brought with you the craft of the leather-worker, you have brought with you the craft of the fuller, you have brought with you the craft of the builder, you have brought with you the craft of the reed-worker.

You have brought with you wisdom, you have brought with you attentiveness, you have brought with you holy purification rites, you have brought with you the shepherd's hut, you have brought with you piling up glowing charcoals, you have brought with you the sheepfold, you have brought with you respect, you have brought with you awe, you have brought with you reverent silence.

You have brought with you the bitter-toothed (?) ......, you have brought with you the kindling of fire, you have brought with you the extinguishing of fire, you have brought with you hard work, you have brought with you ......, you have brought with you the assembled family, you have brought with you descendants.

You have brought with you strife, you have brought with you triumph, you have brought with you counselling, you have brought with you comforting, you have brought with you judging, you have brought with you decision-making.

You have brought with you the establishing of plans , the attractiveness of women, you have brought with you ...... to handle the perfect divine powers, you have brought with you ...... small ......, you have brought with you ...... exalted ......, you have brought with you the holy tigi, holy lilis, ub, meze and ala drums,

No one would even be able to kiss without your permission, thrown in five thousand year old vampires also desperate to recover the tablets and it makes for a great story...[

reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yes it seems once despatched to the nether regions the ghostly Gallu require blood to maintain some association with life force, on the terrestial plane, rebellion on their part as they're supposed to make do with the region of darkness.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

ANU was enki's father. enlil was enki's younger brother. ANU was also enlil's father. enki was a doctor of medicine, geneticist who created humans and many lifeforms on the planet earth. enlil was the lord of command for the planet earth (which to me sounds like he was head of the military). enlil had greater authority out of necessity but not because he was the elder of the two.

best bet would be to go back to the oldest references you can find on these old stories because, as i said before, anything mentioned in connection with marduk's priests, is likely completely screwed up.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

S+F

Wonderful stuff.

Now, we wait for Hollywood's own vampires to get their claws into this for a "based on a true story" vampire movie.

hollywood has already done their take on this.

Blade: Trinity

The film starts with a group of vampires, looking for "Drake", a.k.a. Dracula (Dominic Purcell). They subsequently find and wake him in a Syrian ziggurat tomb, although not before he kills one of their own number.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I came across this story a few months ago

paranormal.about.com...

Odd coincidence right?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Accounts can differ, here's a source for Enlil as father of Enki

In the shrine of Nibru, Enki provided a meal for Enlil, his father. He seated An at the head of the table and seated Enlil next to An. He seated Nintud in the place of honour and seated the Anuna gods at the adjacent places . All of them were drinking and enjoying beer and liquor. They filled the bronze aga vessels to the brim and started a competition, drinking from the bronze vessels of Urac. They made the tilimda vessels shine like holy barges. After beer and liquor had been libated and enjoyed, and after ...... from the house, Enlil was made happy in Nibru.

Enlil addressed the Anuna gods: "Great gods who are standing here! Anuna, who have lined up in the place of assembly! My son, king Enki, has built up the temple! He has made Eridug rise up from the ground like a mountain

etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...#

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

i'll check the transliteration on that, cause i think that's a case of the translators not knowing how to effectively differentiate between a family member with more authority vs a parental figure. assyriology is not a new science but it certainly is new where sumer and cuneiform is concerned.

i'll get back with you on that.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
104. den-ki-ke4 ec3-e nibruki-am3
105. a-a-ni den-lil2-ra ninda mu-un-gu7-e

that basically says

104. enki shrine nibru
105. an (father) enlil bread eat

the problem i have with that is AN is ANU, the father of enlil and enki. maybe they missed a bit of cuneiform during translation that suggested enki was feeding anu and enlil and as a result, translated it to be father enlil. also odd because the next sentence indicates AN is being fed. the word for father there is a-a-ni and is differentiated from an, who is the father god of heaven.

doh, let me go check the sumerian dictionary. get back to ya.
edit on 2-3-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This has all been interesting to read. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
okay, i'm going with the idea that a-a-ni is not father but rather a word that means
authority figure, like commander, perhaps a title of rank

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
where it says "my son" ... that's confusing. the text there says dumu-ju. dumu is child. i suppose the translator is claiming dumu-ju means male child (the -ju indicating male gender perhaps?) and the next word is household so a male child of the household of enlil is enlil's son according to the translator. but it could be that he's saying a male member of my family, under my authority. we have very little indicator of how they would suggest rank, if indeed there is rank mentioned. but in the case of the anunna, or anunnaki, a military commander would supercede a scientist/geneticist in authority, just by virtue of force of arms.

the reason i'm being a stickler about this is, the texts need to agree with each other. if they don't,
something's wrong somewhere. we have to find out where.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
this topic cought my eye right away very interesting

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join