It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Hops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Seeing as I have just ordered some new rhizomes to replace those that were destroyed when my neighbours tree fell on my little hop trellis, I thought it might be a good idea to open the subject of Hops in its own forum.

Any and all Hops cultivation questions are fine...

I am growing East Kent Goldings on a 8 plant 12 foot high trellis.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Ever find a use for hops besides beer?
edit on 1-3-2013 by ObjectZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I want some hops for my prepping seed bank. Any good sites to buy from?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
reply to post by palg1

Ever find a use for hops besides beer?
edit on 1-3-2013 by ObjectZero because: (no reason given)

Lots... The young shoots that come up in the spring are abundant. As you only need 2 or 3 from each mound the rest I cut and eat just like asparagus (only better) They are a real delicacy in europe where they can fetch a hundred bucks a pound.

Also the cones have some real neat medicinal properties.lifestyle.iloveindia.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I want some hops for my prepping seed bank. Any good sites to buy from?

Here is a shortlist of reputable suppliers. There are many others.

leftfieldstore.crannogales.com... Canada (BC-organique)
www.northwesthops.com... USA (Willamette Valley, Oregon.)
www.hopsdirect.com... USA (Washington State)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Interesting to see others involved in this as well. I have been growing my own for years, and although you can use them for many things, I only brew beer with mine. I have ten hills of Cascade and Nugget also on a 12 foot trellis. Last year I tried a 30 foot flagpole and that was a disaster. I couldn't retract the pole after the season was over and had to knock it down. What a mess.

Oh, and I think I ordered my original rhisomes from Northern Brewer, but have since cut and perpetuated them from my own plants.
edit on 3/1/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Does it have to be 12' high or can it be shorter? 12' seems to be like some kind of sweet spot.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

They will grow to twice that high anyway, but it's very hard to physically get up there to put something up for support. I let mine grow up 10 or 12 feet and then train them horizontally from there.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

I have been growing my own for about 5 years. I was also very much invloved in prepping and planting a 6000 hill hop-yard for a freind. I stopped though when he stopped listenning to the "expert" advise we and others were sharing with him. What a headstrong and stuborn guy.

I say expert loosly because me and my brother-in-law have made a point a researching the matter as much as possible. This research included books, on-line research, and in person participation in U of Oregon seminars on the subject. Short of getting a degree in agriculture we learned as much as possible.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Your trellis system does not need to be 12 feet high. I have seen some people build a teepee style growing trellis where they train the growing hops around the teepee as it grows. They had 2 plants growing on theirs and it seemed to work fine for getting the lenghth equivalent to about 10 or 12 feet. This would a pain ion the backside if you tried doing it commercially but for someone who doesn't have much space...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What's the base Ph of the soil? Do the roots grow deep or wide? What plants do well near hops and what plant do hops do well near?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I've been growing them for probably 7 or 8 years. I studied as much as I could when I first started, but since then they have kind of taken over and I don't much worry about them. The only concern I have is that I think I have too many now, it takes too long to prune and weed and all that. It's a shame about your friend, 6000 is a crap load of hops to screw up.

Plus now I'm working on opening a brewery and I don't have so much time to tend to hops anymore. I can't hope to grow enough to supply a business anyway.
edit on 3/1/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I try to keep my soil PH round about 6.2. They like a loamy soil with a high Potassium content.

Almost forgot... I have seen many a vinard and hop-yard with rose bushes at the end of each row.
This is not just for estetics. They act as a sacraficial plant. The first signs of infestation by unwanted pest show up here. Some farmers I know plant Marigolds within their hopyard as a deterent to such pests as Aphids and Spider Mites. I am planting bhut-jolokia peppers amongst my hops this year as an experiment. Hope they deter the local cats as much as the insects.
edit on 1-3-2013 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
Do the roots grow deep or wide?

The root system is divided in to two types. This is a deep penetrating root that can easliy go down 4 to 6 feet.
The rhisomes spread out lateraly from the root.

Hops is an extreemly hardy plant. Very hard to get rid of once it has taken hold and developed its root system.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Alright....Their coming up. The first shoots are actually crowning out of the soil. I think it's going to be a good year.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

You're just now getting your first shoots? Where are you? Did you just put them in this year or are they already established? Sorry for so many questions, but I had my first shoots in March, I think,toward the end of the month.

Oh, sorry, I see now that I've taken the time to look that you're in Canada. I guess that makes the difference. I think it will be a good year as well! Cheers!
edit on 5/3/2013 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Woohoo hops thread!
I've been growing mine for years now.
Many years ago I got a rhizome that was past prime and was going to be thrown away.
I gave it a home by dipping it in growth powder and wrapped in a wet paper towel for a few days.
It then went into the ground on the south side of my home.

It grows up a 5 foot trellis and hangs back down. I save the hops in a baggie in the freezer for brewing.
The only thing is that Japanese beetles devour the leaves if not treated often enough. Also bees tend to enjoy the trellis so I need to be careful sticking my hand in there.

Every year the plant returns thicker than the previous year and I find that I have to cut them back a lot.
Some time I will split the plant up and replant elsewhere, because of it's aggressive growth.

I once tried looking up the type, I was told it was cascades but have not confirmed it yet. In any case, the hops get used often as a flavoring hops at the end of the boil. I'd be willing to barter hops for grains.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

I just planted 4 new rhizomes. those are the ones I was talking about. The 2 year olds are about 18 inches tall already and are being trained on their lines.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

Now that you know where I am... where are you? Knowing that would go a long way to bartering for grain.
Btw, I grow East Kent Goldings.

From what I have learned, alot of the big growers trim back the tops of the bines in order to ensure a very robust growth along the entire bine.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm in RI Palq.
Do you have similar problems with beetles attacking the leaves?
I recall the spray remedy was a combination of soap and something else maybe cayenne??
I'll have to look it up again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join