It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One dead after shark attack at Auckland beach - NZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

One dead after shark attack at Auckland beach, NZ

tvnz.co.nz

Police were forced to shoot at a shark which attacked and killed a person at Auckland's Muriwai Beach this afternoon.
St John ambulance confirmed the person had died. Their body had been pulled from the water. Witnesses said police shot at the shark during the rescue attempt and it had also been pulled from the water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not many fatal shark attacks each year - 12 last year. Numbers have been on the rise for a long time now, not sure if thats because more people may be in the waters or potentially a lack of food?

Although they say they are not sure if the swimmer was dead before the attack or not - I didn't think sharks attacked things that are not alive. I could be wrong though - any shark experts out there?

Love sharks, they are one of my favorite animals - but they sure do scare the crap out of me.

edit on 26-2-2013 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
From what I am reading they are saying it's likely a Great White. They will get fairly close to shore for food source. Unlike say a Tiger that stays in the deep. From what I understand any ways. Not sure if they would eat carcass. Probably if it was fresh enough?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
History of shark attacks New Zealand

While most attacks involved Great White sharks, mako and bronze whalers also have been known to cause fatal injuries. Great White sharks have been responsible for most of the 11 fatal attacks in New Zealand where the shark has been identified.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Some say last attack was 2010, some say 2006, last fatality was supposed to have been 1968 some say 1974.

All this from media outlets.... and you wonder why we don't believe anything on ATS either?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

I think last attack was 2010, last fatality was 2006 (its disputed that he may have drowned then been attacked) and then before that the last fatality was 1976.

Sad the shark was shot in the end - beause they are pretty amazing creatures.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Not many fatal shark attacks each year - 12 last year. Numbers have been on the rise for a long time now, not sure if thats because more people may be in the waters or potentially a lack of food?

Although they say they are not sure if the swimmer was dead before the attack or not - I didn't think sharks attacked things that are not alive. I could be wrong though - any shark experts out there?

Love sharks, they are one of my favorite animals - but they sure do scare the crap out of me.

I feel like you- I LOVE Sharks but am terrified of them. I avoid the Ocean like a plague because I just 'know' something down below is looking up at me from the depths and thinking about a snack.

-But man, are Sharks fascinating. Crocodiles too... What would happen if a giant 20ft croc fought a 20 ft Great White?

-Anyhow, sad for the guy but that is the risk (and its not a statistically high risk or so I'm told)- I think its a combination of weather change, less food (from overfishing AND weather change) plus more people in the water. I saw a terrible documentary last night about giant squids now breeding in japan and what used to be a 40 year cycle is now almost yearly- This has resulted in "dead zones" with nothing but squid which is decimating the fishing- maybe the sharks have just had enough? =P

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Animals sense fear mate, don't be scared

I don't know if I'd do it though

Just to remind as well, we are in the sharks domain, not the other way around and personally I don't think Great Whites attack people deliberately.

You could possibly also say that is another example of overly-aggressive humans reacting as only they know how.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I totally agree - we are the ones willingly venturing into their waters. Cant blame the shark.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Some footage of police shooting the shark (apparently there were two sharks that attacked him)

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
i heard somewhere that most shark attacks occur in 3 feet or less of water
i avoid the ocean like a plague now lol i've developed an irrational fear of Megalodons, my own fault for reading up on them all the time

top topics

join