It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CME/Solarflares impacts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a) If a MAJOR flare/cme hits, what can be expected?

b) What impatcs on wires, electric items and such
will it have and HOW.?

c) What can be done to prevent damage?

These q are from a civilian houseowner with little
to no understanding about these things. So be
nice.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hi
Well, what would happen, are you aware of the Carrington event?
Carrington event

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases shocking telegraph operators.[5] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.[6] Some telegraph systems continued to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.[7]

I imagine any country that uses electricity and does not manufacture transformers and other electrical components would be reduced to the stone ages as we have forgotten how to do anything without it.

I'm not sure on how you would prevent it, maybe a thick lead lined box to store your electrical item inside?

Its a case of when not if..

edit on 22-2-2013 by Markive because: my terrible keyboard skills

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Superflare stars

As of 2000, nine superflare stars have been found, some of them similar to the Sun.[1] The energy released during such a flare is 100 times to 10 million times that of the sun's largest coronal mass ejections.

Just have to hope it was pointing away from us I guess.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Hmm..Ok
But your replies doesnt tell me anything
about my questions...

What actually happens in my house?
And HOW does it happen?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Im guessing satellite and power grid interference

if M magnitude or greater?

Nuclear reactor(s) might be affected too, not sure maybe experts can answer your Q thanks for bringing it up!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
Hmm..Ok
But your replies doesnt tell me anything
about my questions...

What actually happens in my house?
And HOW does it happen?

It would depend on the magnitude of the flare or CME, and if it hit Earth directly or was a glancing blow. Electrical disturbances, the grid and transformers being damaged or destroyed is very possible, as NASA keeps warning us, but at larger magnitudes Earth could end up looking like Mars, or worse still, Mercury. Plasma physics is what applies, so you end up with sputtering and ion etching, which can either deposit large amounts of matter, or remove large amounts, but tough to say exactly which, these are very chaotic events. Your house, and everything else on the surface of the Earth, with a large enough CME hit, would be returned instantly to its constituent protons and electrons and ions. Deep underground might be the only safe place, which is likely why the governments have built so many underground facilities, which they say are bomb shelters, but the biggest potential bomb is really the Sun.

top topics

join