It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Bible verse(s)?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I did a quick search and didn't see a post for this topic so I figured I'd make one. I have a few that stick out in my mind:

"Humble yourselves before the Most High, and he will lift you up." - James 4:10

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" - Romans 8:31

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." - Jeremiah 29:11-13 (This one has become a new favorite for me, especially as a verse for when one needs hope in their life. Over the course of the past month I've encountered this verse in so many odd places at a time when I really needed it.)

I'm sure I'll add more as I think of them. What about all of you?

Please no snarky responses from non-Christians and/or those who hate religion/Christianity/the Bible. Please stay on topic of the thread.

If you are a non-Christian who is not antagonistic towards the Bible and have a favorite verse, please feel free to post it.
edit on 19-2-2013 by LazarusTsiyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed and there is nothing secret that will not become known and come to light. - Luke or Mark

Not a Christian, but Bibles are filled with great messages.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Awesome, TC. Yeah I definitely wanted those who are not Christians but respect the Bible to be able to share theirs also. Just didn't want those who are antagonistic to the Bible trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks for sharing!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTsiyr

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Great one. Classic.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

23rd Psalm

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 13

'Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'

edit on 19-2-2013 by de1111codEiT because: 11:11

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
For God does know that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:5)

My favorite. I hope I will see this one, again, in my next life.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought! (Job 19:25-27 NLT)

Great idea Lazarus

Thank you

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Rev 20:2..

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Ephesians 2:11-22

Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands) - remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus, you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

That one passage tells us so many things... anyone is welcome, Jews and Gentiles should call each other brothers, we might as well throw circumcision out the window, and even that the old laws of Leviticus don't apply to Christians. And we have Jesus to thank for all of it. Such a nice man. I wish he'd get here already...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Here is a very good one:

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

~ Isaiah 41:10

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodol
For God does know that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:5)

My favorite. I hope I will see this one, again, in my next life.

Oh dear, and you got two stars to boot!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

Matthew 7:13-14

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

23rd Psalm

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

-- KJV

NOTES:

u In describing the Lord as a shepherd, David wrote out of his own experience because he had spent his early years caring for sheep. Sheep are completely dependent on the Shepherd for provision, guidance, and protection. The New Testament calls Jesus the good shepherd; the great Shepherd; and the Chief Shepherd. As the Lord is the good shepherd, so we are his sheep -- not frightened, passive animals, but obedient followers, wise enough to follow one who will lead us in the right places and in right ways. This psalm does not focus on the animal-like qualities of sheep, but on the discipleship qualities of those who follow. when you recognize the good shepherd, follow him!

u When we allow God our shepherd to guide us, we have contentment. When we choose to sin, however, we go our own way and cannot blame God for the environment we create for ourselves. Our shepherd knows the "green pastures" and "quiet waters" that will restore us. We will reach these places only by following him obediently. Rebelling against the shepherd's leading is actually rebelling against our own best interests. We must remember this the next time we re tempted to go our own way rather than the shepherd's way.

u Death casts a frightening shadow over us because we are entirely helpless in its presence. We can struggle with other enemies -- pain, suffering, disease, injury -- but strength and courage cannot overcome death. It has the final word. Only one person can walk with us through death's dark valley and bring us safely to the other side -- the God of life, our shepherd. Because life is uncertain, we should follow this shepherd who offers us eternal comfort.

u In ancient Near Eastern culture, at a banquet it was customary to anoint a person with fragrant oil as a lotion. Hosts were also expected to protect their guests at all costs. God offers the protection of a host even when enemies surround us. In the final scene of this psalm, we see that believers will dwell with God. God, the perfect shepherd and host, promises to guide and protect us through life to bring us into his house forever.

www.rwf2000.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And Elohim said, “See, I have given you every Herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed, to you it is for food. (Genesis 1:29)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
All great verses, everyone!! Keep posting

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

This is where I got the parts of my signature

“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked. “My rabbi, ” the blind man said, “I want to see!” (Mark 10:51 NLT)

When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere. “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” the young man cried to Elisha. “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!” Then Elisha prayed, “O L ord , open his eyes and let him see!” The L ord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire. (2 Kings 6:15-17 NLT)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
(Ecclesiastes 12:13) 13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the [true] God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole [obligation] of man.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Luke 6
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

This one passage, in my opinion, tells us all we need to know. Love one another, nothing more is needed.

Awwww... Akragon beat me to it.

edit on 20-2-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join