It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If our representatives cannot be bother to actively seek my vote, why should I waste my vote.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Many of us believe that when vote for representatives to our elected assemblies, those who have asked for our vote will continue to listen to us after they have taken their oaths of office.

As I have spent time looking deeper into politics and those we elect to represent us, I am become more convinced that our elected leaders are far from interested in those who have elected them, and either by design or ineptitude, they become beholden to other masters.

I once believed that it was an obligation to vote, out of respect, I was told, for all those who died and suffer to protect our right to vote. Today, I can’t vote for anyone who does not personally solicit my vote, giving me the chance to discuss my expectations of them for my vote.

If our representatives cannot be bother to actively seek my vote, why should I waste my vote.

All too often, the electorate is suckering in by slick sound bites and have been conditioned to believe what the MSM tell them, and that to question is not desirable or appropriate. In too many instances, the electorate is not given a real choice as all the candidates, despite what they say, they are in the pocket of the same interests.

It makes me wonder why we are given the opportunity to cast our vote, as in the vast majority of cases, the winner of the election is pre-ordained by those control them. And let’s not beat around the bush, anyone who thinks the President of the US, Prime Minister of the UK, Russian President and Prime Minister have their own ideas and doing their own thinking, have been taking in by media spin.

Of course, far too many of the people on this planet listen to the media spin, and believe they should vote and they have a choice, and that those asking for their vote are genuinely interesting in them, and what they say during the election to get your vote, is something they should honour.

I have decided they if you want my vote, you need to ask me and give me the opportunity to question you on why you should get my vote and how you are going to improve my lot.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
personally, i think you should know who your voting for anyway.

not because they turned up handing out biscuits.

also...the problem is states within states.

picking a private school prime minister, then watch him aiding his private sector buddies.

the beautiful thing about democarcy is, even of you picked a liar, he can only be there for four years, campaining starts in three!

i agree they should be held accountable to their initial manifesto....
edit on 18-2-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Problem, getting to know your representatives is not all that easy today. My problem is since I live in a rural area I can only get TV reseption through Directv, I get the local channels but all I get is Minnesota channels in Wisconsin, something about the Nelison Reasearch group and marketing. Problem I have is if I move 10 Miles South or 15 miles east I go into a different Geographical area and could get my states local channels. Minneapolis is 110 miles away, Eau claire is 60 Miles away and they have there own stations.

SOOOO I brought this up to my local representive asking why I can't get my local channels, being as polite as I could I informed him I don't know who he is or what he stands for becasue I can tell him more about Minnesota represeentives than I could about Wisconsin Reps.

I done this by email about 8 months ago, it took 4 months for them to reply back saying that they (congress) is working on getting this correct with the FCC.

I believe there are some representives that are trying to do the right thing but they get caught up in the games that washington plays. I just know the last two for our area were OLD, OLDER Than me and they should of retired when they were at the age of 65, they were out of touch with todays society and social matters still thinking it was the 60-70's.

The only time you see or hear from your representive is when election time comes around, they are to busy trying to raise money for there parties.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
They wont bother to earn your vote, they know who will vote for them and if they have the chance of winning, if they are projected to lose then they just spend some more money for some ads or lawn signs. Us humans are a gullible little species, you don't think the people in power use that to their advantage? Truth is your one vote doesn't mean jack S**t in their book and it never will. Politicians don't care about us once they are in office they only care about the checks in the mail from the corporations they are representing. IF you find a politician that you think actually cares i can guarantee this is his last term or he is doing practically nothing in office. In all those days they have between making the visit at the run down bridge or school they are in their offices getting call after call from big business's. They know the system is corrupt but they cant change it, only a collective can. Yet that day will never come because people like you are caught up in your ways of produce for your masters and consume for yourself. Their is a lesson in all of this, find it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

But if you pick another one in 4 then that one will just stick it to you too. The ones who have held there positions for awhile are there because they figured out that if you make it look like you give a rat A*** about the people that you represent those people will keep you there. I find it amusing that when campaigning comes around everyone attacks each other with the selfish things they have done, like getting gifts from some company they passed some legislation for. Not for helping some community build itself back up after a disaster or economic collapse. But then again everyone in this world is in it for themselves, guess you cant blame em.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

If you look at American politics it's impossible for a single representative to meet all 700,000+ constituents. We need more representatives in congress. This is a wildly unpopular idea though.

I would suggest you actively seek out your representative. Actively seek out their opponents. If you can't be bothered to do that then you should have no problem with anything they do, in general.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

You seem to be making excuses for the lack of effort to actively gaining my vote. Why should I waste my time waiting for a small opportunity to heard more lies. And as if I could just walk up and discuss my issues. There are too many staff in the way, who are only interested in the right picture or sound bite, not giving me, a voter, a serious opportunity to discuss what I want, if I vote, and then having the ability to call who I vote for to account, if they have lied to get my vote.

Accept that the current system is not intended to enable simple voters, the opportunity to have serious discussion with those seeking my vote.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

Your post just goes to show that with our current system both in the US, UK and most of the world, those who seek our vote or have been elected, are not interested in giving voters the opportunity to discuss issues. They are very happy if you are a badge carring member who will wave flags and clap when required.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

If you look at American politics it's impossible for a single representative to meet all 700,000+ constituents. We need more representatives in congress. This is a wildly unpopular idea though.

I would suggest you actively seek out your representative. Actively seek out their opponents. If you can't be bothered to do that then you should have no problem with anything they do, in general.

This is a very good point. I've hobnobbed with all the Congressmen and Senators from State because I go to where they are active. I've even interned for a couple of them. They are fairly accessible if you make it possible.

Certainly your not going to get a private conversation to air your greivances for hours on end but I can tell you this, they do keep track of what people are saying in the letters they receive and the phone calls to their office.

I know because i've tracked, organized, and presented them in person. Its actually more effective then meeting them for 20 seconds and trying to make a point. If you can get 100 people to all write in about an issue you will certainly be heard.

And letters are far more effective in my experience then e'mail or phone calls. Just an FYI

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Because the only ones you hear about are puppets for the master who funded them!

Do your own research if interested in getting to know your rep better, don't wait for big money to come knocking on your door....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Why should I waste my time waiting for a small opportunity to heard more lies.

Why should they waste their time hearing from an individual when they can hear from a collective?

And as if I could just walk up and discuss my issues. There are too many staff in the way, who are only interested in the right picture or sound bite, not giving me, a voter, a serious opportunity to discuss what I want, if I vote, and then having the ability to call who I vote for to account, if they have lied to get my vote.

I've spoken to my representative a number of times. I follow them on twitter and subscribe to their mailing lists. I don't do it because I agree with their politics. I do it because they're making themselves accessible to me in the broadest, simplest way possible. I find out when they're in town and I go see them.

Accept that the current system is not intended to enable simple voters, the opportunity to have serious discussion with those seeking my vote.

If you're willing to put forth some effort, they'll listen. They may not agree, but they'll listen. It's very, very unlikely they'll come to your doorstep begging for you to vote for them though.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I skimmed over the replies but didn't see this suggestion..

I'm not sure about the states as you have more and more electronic voting,
but in the U.K. you can vote NO CONFIDENCE,meaning you don't like any candidate
but still wish to register a vote,or simply put N/C across the form..

It seems to be a little known fact

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cjttatu

Good point. Any vote that is not accepted as valid is recorded as spoilt. The trend in the UK is not to bother to vote rather than attend and spoil your ballot. Imagine if 50% of the ballots were spoil. I am in favour of a none of the above box on a ballot but with this, there should be a legal requirement to vote. This would give anyone elected, a true impression of their mandate.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I can’t vote for anyone who does not personally solicit my vote, giving me the chance to discuss my expectations of them for my vote.

Even then they'll just lie through their teeth. Most politicians are already filthy rich, so what would their reasons be for running for public office:

1. To make it into the history books.
2. To manipulate laws in their favor and the favor of business associates so they can all make even more money.

Representing the people isn't even on their list of things to do when elected. Why would they try to change a system that already made them rich?

new topics

top topics

join