It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DayZ - Zombie Apocalypse Survival Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Mods, please delete if already been discussed.

I know this maybe a little far fetched, however, I have come to play and enjoy DayZ. DayZ is a mod of Arma II, which is a military simulation.

An amazing military sim that has caught the attention of all armed forces and also intensified the capture of two computer programers accused of spying on foreign bases and classified info.

Now, they were accused of taking pics of classified military deployments and totally justified. As far as I can see, there is no conspiracy theory.

I do, in fact, enjoy playing a computer game based around a zombie apocalypse. This game is basicly, you start with nothing and need to scavenge for food, water. weapons, and parts for vehicles. As far as I know, it is the first of it's kind, other than the horrid rip off "WarZ". The game has been picked up from Bohemia Interactive to be made as a standalone. It has been said that if this game sells 1,000,000 copies, then an Xbox version will be made.

Again, this was a mod made by a guy for free that enjoyed ARMA II and wanted a zombie game.

For me, this is a great SHTF zombie game to test your skills. It could also be a look into the human psyche (sp?) to see how people may act in such an apocalypse.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

I love DayZ also

Check out Corridor Digital's video based on DayZ - After DayZ

But realistically its just a game and the only objectives are survive point gun and shoot so you wont get much differentiation in human decision making. But the generalized concept I agree with. In that situation other unknown humans would be the threat.

But as the vid shows hehe and I would like to think humans in RL could act the same. Not everyone is an enemy

Edit: If anyone likes this video I recommend watching the behind the scenes video also

edit on 14-2-2013 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This game sounds interesting, never heard of it though as I really am more of a console guy. So is it free? Where's a link to the game? Do you play online with others? Well I'll just google it,lol,but at least you peaked my interest, so thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I played the Beta
didn't find it all that hot

Great concept for a game

Terrible game engine

graphics are Meh ...

Also if your thinking about playing
Know you will be killed more by other players
than you will by Zombies.

These players have been playing longer
and have already found Assault rifles
Sniper rifles and the likes.

You start with your Johnson in your hand

and these players relish raping you
for what little you've scrounged

I've played better Zombie MODS [halflife2's Zombie Master]
that were free to play

I paid to play this beta
I won't make the same mistake
with the standalone :shk:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

I played the Beta
didn't find it all that hot

Great concept for a game

Terrible game engine

graphics are Meh ...

Also if your thinking about playing
Know you will be killed more by other players
than you will by Zombies.

These players have been playing longer
and have already found Assault rifles
Sniper rifles and the likes.

You start with your Johnson in your hand

and these players relish raping you
for what little you've scrounged

I've played better Zombie MODS [halflife2's Zombie Master]
that were free to play

I paid to play this beta
I won't make the same mistake
with the standalone :shk:

Are you sure you played DayZ and not WarZ? DayZ is free to play.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Where can I find it free? It's seems you have to buy Arma 2 in order to actually play, is this true?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Putyournamehere

Yes, You have to buy Arma II to play as it is a mod for that game. You can frequently find Arma II for free but need to pay for the expansion (as the mod is built off) for $15 on Steam. I, personally, would recommend it as I bought it only for DayZ and have yet to play Arma II. DayZ is a great game/mod and has has been one of the only games to keep me entertained and on the edge of my seat for longer than a week. I have been playing every day for the last two to three weeks.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yes I am sure it was Day Z
MoD'd off the aging ARMA2 engine

i like zombie genre
just the ARMA engine & game play blow[imo

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere

Where can I find it free? It's seems you have to buy Arma 2 in order to actually play, is this true?

Yes this is true
You will throw good money away
if you buy ARMA2 to play this MoD

I suggest getting the ARMA 2 demo
if you can find 1 for free
play that

it will give you an idea
of game play & graphics
if you like them

burn your paper

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

Originally posted by Putyournamehere

Yes this is true
You will throw good money away
if you buy ARMA2 to play this MoD

I suggest getting the ARMA 2 demo
if you can find 1 for free
play that

it will give you an idea
of game play & graphics
if you like them

burn your paper

Oh for shame.... DayZ is such a great game... Zombie apocalypse + lone survival = amazing slow game play for those who like slow game play.
For $15, you can't go wrong. Great military sim with many free add-ons. DayZ is a great game with over 1,500,000 original users. You can download ARMA II for free. The Add-On is what costs $15 to play DayZ.

I implore people who are looking for a great zombie survival game to watch all the great DayZ Youtube vids and make a decision for themselves...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
DayZ is fun for a few days but once you get the best gear you are pretty much a ghost. So then you become that guy in the ghillie suit with a sniper rifle killing everything that moves because you are bored.
The idea of the game is much more fun than the actual game, its a walking simulator that happens to have zombies and people who want to kill you.
The main thing is that the game really is more of a simulator than a game. Think of the plane battles in BF3 and then look at a flight simulator. Its the same thing with DayZ and other zombie games. There is a standalone coming out soon but Arma 3 is being beta tested in Prague this weekend, so there will probably be another DayZ mod in the not to distant future.
If you like DayZ and want something with a bit more game feel to it, there is The WarZ which is pretty much the same thing with more of a video game feel.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I played it for a while but got bored quickly when the servers weren't stable enough, players killed you for any gear you had and the equipment you had to find was scattered so far in zombie infected villages to make it not worth your while trying to get it.
Then there was WarZ, a total rippoff from DayZ, that was so sh*te I asked for a refund and got it with no questions, (steam dropped the ball with that one big time).

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

According to this link:
en.wikipedia.org - DayZ...

DayZ has been widely praised in gaming media for its innovative design elements, with Kotaku and Eurogamer describing it as possibly the best zombie game ever made, and PC Gamer calling it one of the most important things to happen to PC gaming in 2012 as well as one of the five scariest games of all time. The mod reached one million players in its first four months on 6 August 2012, with hundreds of thousands purchasing ARMA 2 just to play it.

But I suppose that many of them already had Arma 2, so it's not quite a million. But considering that I didn't know about Arma 2 until just lately, who knows how far its popularity could go?

And btw this game has what's called emergent gameplay. It's not the first to have this.

In fact, look at this:
en.wikipedia.org - Thief: The Dark Project...

...The game's design combines complex artificial intelligence with simulation systems to allow for emergent gameplay. Thief's influence can be seen in later stealth games, such as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and Hitman series.

Released in Nov 1998.

Rogue-likes could also be said to have a cheap application of emergent gameplay in that the levels were randomized and there were lots of details cast into the fray and many emergent things would come out of it in the process. Monsters had to have flexible movement and decisions schemes. Contrastingly, more scripted hand-crafted games are much more inflexible and produce less variety as a result. Variety I think, along with AI, is the key to this. That's what emergence is, really.

Nethack is a good example of a rogue-like. But it's old and not graphically rich.

Dwarf Fortress is also an example - i think - of this. Not the best.

My suggestion is get Thief: The Dark Project or its sequel.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
DayZ is an interesting game to start off with however, once you play it enough to become familiar with the geography and where to find stuff, it quickly looses its appeal.

Quite a lot of the servers are full of bandits who's only objective is to kill you as you respawn and steal whatever meager rations you may have scrounged together.

Even when groups get together, and do something constructive, like those german guys that managed to get a working truck and set up a free bus services to ferry new spawns away from the bandit ridden electricity factory and the hospital area (which was quite and achievment) there was still no where for them to go with it.

I liked elements of the game, such as the daylight and weather being based on the location of the server where you logged in, and the introduction of death by exposure and hunger that forced you to go into the dangerous areas to look for antibiotics in order to survive, you will eventually bump in to someone who will shoot first and ask questions later rather than risk you doing the same to them.

I'd like to see some sort of reward for killing bandits, to encourage some social awareness, or some jeapordy involved in becomming a bandit and killing too many humans. Like the number of zeds increase each time a human is killed for example.

But ultimately since the servers reset once or twice a day and all the treasure is replenished, once you've survived the coast, learned to stay away from built up areas, raided the zed infested army bases for extra supplies, all that is left to do is shlep your way into the farmland and up the mountains, where the zeds are very easy to avoid and you're likely to get picked off from miles away by some creep who has managed to find a sniper rifle and make it to the radio tower before you.

The only way to play this long term is to band together with other players and try and take control of an area, and fend off bandits as they arrive. I've heard its possible to get a helicopter working and fly around but you never get to escape from the game. So ultimately, its looses its appeal. There is only so many hours you ware willing to waste crawling around on your belly looking for cans of pepsi to keep you alive long enough to get a decent weapon which instantly makes you a target for both the Zeds and any bandits in the area.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317 .............
For me, this is a great SHTF zombie game to test your skills. It could also be a look into the human psyche (sp?) to see how people may act in such an apocalypse.

One other thing to say is that since DayZ resets then it's not really a fair "approximation" of reality. It may tell us some things about how people do things, though. It's interesting.

This aspect has a lot of appeal to me. I've had to confront a lot of these aspects in my time as a gamer. What interests me most is the economic and social element. Like when does a player help a new player? And what type of players will cheat other players to recieve a benefit?

Admittedly, a lot of the games I've played were nothing like DayZ. The popular MMOs are so controlled and watered down that all they tell us is how players act in watered down controlled environments. Of course, reality can also sometimes be controlled and watered down, so...

My guess is that in a less controlled environment there'll be powerful gangs of players that begin to dominate the others. And to get on their good side players will acquiesce. Then there will be enemies that will ferment and come into being, sooner or later. It'd be interesting to see when this happens and how often. I really do not think gamers are happy with perfect peace and harmony. In fact, I suspect that enemies would be created to prevent that and, resultingly, make it more engaging. But this might be only from a gaming perspective. In real life, we obviously want less conflict, not more. We compete over scarce resources and death is a permanent affair with painful ends. Thusly, in general, conflict doesn't serve us unless it increases our ability to survive. Conflict on the level that's seen in games would not be desired since it would create vast amounts of death and pain.

The difference between reality and games is games can be what we want them to b e. Real life is not like that because even if we wanted death and destruction, it wouldn't last. A few generations and the whole planet would probably be a void wasteland. And so we exhaust our hunger in games, not real life. So there're strong feedbacks that prevent (irl) death and destruction as being forms of entertainment. We require a certain amount of peace and harmony to survive as a species. I do think ti's interesting that there're so many games with violence depicted. So much combat.

We need more thinking games.

Grind Theft Auto could be retitled Grand Negotiation Auto (tm).
Massive Warfare could be retitled Massive Peace (tm).
Doom 5 could be retitled Hope 5 (tm).

I have to laugh at all the violence in these games and many others.

But then again, maybe humans have innate lusts that cannot be changed.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I would really suggest waiting for the Stand Alone if you are interested in playing this game, will likely be around 20 bucks. Worth it in my opinion. (also the Arma 2 Combined OPs has more mods then the zombie mod, there is also a KICK ASS WW2 mod as well, both the European and Japan campaigns)

and also stay away from the War Z

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
I played it for a while but got bored quickly when the servers weren't stable enough, players killed you for any gear you had and the equipment you had to find was scattered so far in zombie infected villages to make it not worth your while trying to get it.
Then there was WarZ, a total rippoff from DayZ, that was so sh*te I asked for a refund and got it with no questions, (steam dropped the ball with that one big time).

The warZ was not really a rip off of DayZ, that is just something people like to repeat. WarZ was being developed long before DayZ came out.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

State what you like, but all indications are that WarZ is a catastrophe.

I just did some simple googling that anybody can do.

What you say might be true, but WarZ is still a deplorable wreck.

I didn't know about WarZ until this thread. But I've known about DayZ since July 2012.
edit on 18-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Its mostly DayZ fan boys that go to the forums to complain about the game, the same people were complaining about the game before it even came out. And what I said was true, WarZ was being developed well before DayZ. WarZ is still being developed while DayZ has already been abandoned to make the stand alone. But with Arma 3 being wrapped up the standalone will probably get dropped and there will be a new DayZ mod.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A scifi mod of the DayZ mod set after "First Contact" with a hostile alien invasion would be sweet.

top topics

join