It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1947 Roswell Newspaper I found

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I frequent thrift stores and came across this little gem of a newspaper. It was framed and in great condition. I could not help to buy it. I am not very interested aliens and whatnot, but to me this is an amazing piece of American History, so I had to have it.

To me, this was different than "conspiracies" and MSM reporting because it came directly from Roswell's own newspaper. I can't help but feel it is a little more unbiased than an article that came from The New York Times or similar papers. I tried to take some nice pics of everything, as well as, the article it's self.

I hope some folks that are fascinated with aliens and the Roswell crash will appreciate this.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It was a weather balloon...

C'mon man...The Government fully explained this....Er, well not so much.

Nice Find...

edit on 14-2-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I agree, nice find. They said what they said, and the newspapers printed it. They tried
to retract they're statement, but unfortunately, Once its been printed its been printed.

Rebel 5

edit on 14-2-2013 by rebelv because: Syntax

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hey, that's cool. How deep did they hit your pocket book?

Seriously, I like some of those other headlines. They could be in any newspaper today. Interesting how some things never change.

House passes tax slash by large margin
Security council paves way to talks on arms reductions

and my favorite...
Air Force General Says Army Not Doing Experiments

Of course they aren't.

edit on 2/14/2013 by Klassified because: tags

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Yea !!

It's just too bad they only recovered one of those high speed weather ballons.
You know the ones that carry those little parachuting dummies.
I kind of wish they were still around. They would make good action figures for our kids to play with.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

It cost me $24.99 + tax (Uncle Obama made sure he got his cut too)

edit on 14-2-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

Not bad. I figured they would get really greedy, and go for a $100. Good Catch.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This blows the weather balloon explanation out of the water and back to shore. The couple who were the quoted eyewitnesses leave no room for a weather balloon to be considered. Unless the wind was blowing at over 100 miles an hour, and the balloon had inside lights apart from the sun shining on it. And this was a great find for you, nice work, as well as a very fine post complete with detailed photographs. I've never read the entire article. And a great keepsake too!
edit on 14-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

great find - very interesting, I wonder if the official archives, still carry this story, with this wording ?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Not bad. I figured they would get really greedy, and go for a $100. Good Catch.

I as well. Although, I found it at the Salvation Army and they tend to not be the greedy capitalistic corp. that most are today.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It`s no secret, and they admitted, that they took the crashed "weather balloon" to wright patterson AFB in ohio. The thing that seems suspicous to me about that is, did they always take all their crashed weather balloons to wright patterson AFB? If not then why did they feel the need to take this "weather balloon" there?
Why would they put a crashed "weather balloon" on a plane in New mexico and fly it all the way to an AFB in ohio?
It sounds fishy, they aren`t fooling me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Wow...really? There is no national sales tax...just pure ignorance.

Anyway, you probably got a souvenir replica of the newspaper...they are pretty common. You can get one for 10 bucks on the internet.

www.rdrnews.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by teamcommander

Yea !!

It's just too bad they only recovered one of those high speed weather ballons.
You know the ones that carry those little parachuting dummies.
I kind of wish they were still around. They would make good action figures for our kids to play with.

Those pesky high speed weather balloons.

They will fool you everytime.

I wonder if they framed it before the cover up?

If so, In the attic it went...

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Wow...really? There is no national sales tax...just pure ignorance.

Anyway, you probably got a souvenir replica of the newspaper...they are pretty common. You can get one for 10 bucks on the internet.

www.rdrnews.com...

shoo troll

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The most interesting thing to me, is they never call it wreckage. it sounds as though the military were speaking of something quite whole.

They never say wreckage, they state, Flying Saucer, Disc and Instrument.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
WOW that must be the most epic find that I have ever heard about coming from The Salvation Army IMO. I am an avid thrift shopper and hope to find something half as cool someday. This paper has been seen before, so no new info there, but a very cool find!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

This is a cool find.
Could you post more about the two stories on there:
The first one is about the US Army stacking courtmarshals
The Second one is something about "Soviet Satelites"

There may be more here on this front page them just a historical UFO event.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
bargain! good buy... even if its not an original... is it?
either way i'd have bought it.

Who has copyright over that image? Can I print that newspaper headline on a t-shirt and sell it on ebay legally?
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: cider

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geraputo
WOW that must be the most epic find that I have ever heard about coming from The Salvation Army IMO. I am an avid thrift shopper and hope to find something half as cool someday. This paper has been seen before, so no new info there, but a very cool find!

I agree. I tend to find nice and interesting things there, but nothing that pertains to such a controversial topic as this. I know this has been seen many times and I am sure it has been dissected to death, however, it struck a cord with me. I figured it would make a great "man cave" item and consider it a great addition. The only thing that would top this is a news paper article stating "zombie found".

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Thank you, OP! I've been doing a little reading/research into Roswell and this is a great find! Most appreciated.
I made a transcription of the article for you.

peace,
AB

TRANSCRIPTION:
Tuesday, July 8, 1947
RAAF Captures Flying Saucer in Roswell Region

Roswell Hardware Man and Wife Report Disk Seen

The intelligence office of the 509th Bombardment group at Roswell Army Airfield announced today, that the field has come into the possession of a flying saucer.

According to information released by the department, over authority of Maj. J. A. Marcel, intelligence officer, the disk was recovered on a ranch in the Roswell vicinity, after an unidentified rancher notified Sheriff Geo Wilcox, here, that he had found the instrument on his premises.

Major Marcel and a detail from his department went to the ranch and recovered the disk, it was stated.

After the intelligence office here had inspected the instrument it was flown to "higher headquarters."

The intelligence office stated that no details of the saucers construction or its appearance had been revealed.

Mr. and Mrs. Dan Wilmot apparently were the only persons in Roswell who have seen what they thought was a flying disk.

They were sitting on their porch at 105 South Penn. last Wednesday night at about ten minutes before ten o'clock when a large glowing object zoomed out of the sky from the southeast, going in a northwesterly direction at a high rate of speed. Wilmot called Mrs. Wilmot's attention to it and both ran down into the yard to watch.
It was in sight less than a minute, less than 40 or 50 seconds, Wilmot estimated.

"Wilmot said that it appeared to him to be about 1500 feet high and going fast. He estimated between 400 and 500 miles per hour.

In appearance it looked oval in shape like two inverted saucers, faced mouth to mouth, or like two old type washbowls placed together in the same fashion. The entire body glowed as though light were showing through from inside, though not like it would be if a light were merely underneath.

From where he stood Wilmot said that the object looked to be about 5 feet in size, and making allowance for the distance it was from town he figured that it must have been 15 to 20 feet in diameter, though this was just a guess.

Wilmot said that he heard no sound, but Mrs. Wilmot said she heard a swishing sound for a very short time.

The object came in view from the southeast and disappeared over the treetops in the general vicinity of six-mile hill.

Wilmot, who is one of the most respected and reliable citizens in town, kept the story to himself hoping that someone else would come out and tell about having seen one, but finally today decided that he would go ahead and tell about seeing it. The announcement that the RAAF was in possession of one came only a few minutes after he had decided to release the details of what he had seen.

END

(Hope this is helpful! I'll add the blurry part in the middle if you U2 me the text!) :-)

edit on 14-2-2013 by AboveBoard because: Added text from OP to fill in the blank in the middle... :-)

edit on 14-2-2013 by AboveBoard because: oops!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join