It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australians! Lend me your ears!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You'll do fine here Beez.

For all the hype about the things that will kill is, at least in part, hype. Yes there are things here that are deadly venemous. A rule though? The larger the better. As a general rule though, just be smart about where you go, like don't go walking in long grass with only thongs (you guys call them flip flops, make sure not to confuse that one lol), don't go shoving your hand into boxes, pots, dark spaces etc. Mostly just common sense really.

The big things, crocs, spiders, snakes tend to live mostly in the tropics. Down south you won't get heaps, especially in city areas. Melbourne may not be huge by world standards, but by Australian standards it is a big city. It has a fairly mediterranian climate, but does get cold in winter. If you're used to the northern US or European winters, they're pretty mild by comparison. They say Melbourne is four seasons in one day, believe it.

The main thing with people that come over here from overseas notice, is that we are generally a lot more relaxed and friendly here. It has gotten a lot worse over the years, but generally people here aren't as wound up as they are in America and Europe. You can still have a conversation with a stranger here, and being from overseas, you start talking with a Yank accent (another word you'll have to get used to), and you'll definetely garner attention.

Lastly, travel. Australia is vast, Vast vast. To get from my home to my parents home is 4 days travel, through three states and largely nothing. I heard a saying once that God made Australia after he became bored creating the rest of the planet, and it's true. It is unlike anywhere else in the world. While you're here, see as much of it as you can.

Oh, and when you arrive, there will be an unusual sweet smell in the air. Most Australians don't notice it, and they will shrug at you. It's eucalyptus. It's everywhere.

You'll do fine here Beez. Learn the lingo, soak up the sun a bit, get some NRL (that'll get the AFL fans goin' a bit...
) games going. You'll fit right in.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

Spoken like a typical Melbournite.

Next thing you'll be telling us AFL is better than NRL..

(Just a point Beez, most Australians are mad on either AFL or NRL. The one thing we aregue over more is which code is better.)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

All the best Beezzer!

Also that snake eating spider is effing huge...Of course in Minnesota USA we don't get anything remotely close to that. That is just nuts...

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yeah.....leave Melbourne and move to Sydney.....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
OK Rabbit, time for some lessons so you can blend in when you get here.......

1. This is a Bloke, this is how you interpret what he is saying..............

2. This is a Sheila, this is how you interpret what she is saying...............

3. Beer is good, always.........
Tasmanian brew......my favourite

4. Avoid certain Unions...........

5. Your wife will need alot of support during this crucial transition...............

6. Make sure she gets in with the right crowd, our girls take no prisoners...........

7. Wanna become an instant Aussie Legend, easy, get $300,000+ and get one of these................
XY GTHO Phase III

8. But, remember.....................

Enjoy Melbourne mate, cold one day, windy and raining the next...............

Hope you get to Perth and Freo, you can come say hello to me, Chadwickus and Winofeind!!

74Templar has a wicked spot in Queensland too - good party place, close to the Great Barrier Reef (in comparison to the rest of us)

Seriously though, Melbourne is an Awesome City, you and the missus will be very happy there, make sure you go to the grand Prix too!

Oh, and the Dingo didn't steal her baybee

edit on 13-2-2013 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hey guys, should we warn Beezzer about Myxomatosis and Calicivirus?
Beezzer you should go to the doctor and ask him about inoculation against these two diseases.

And watch out for Drop Bears, they are savage.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Doooon't start on the damn drop bears...

I swear every person that comes here from overseas spends like a week looking up into the trees looking for drop bears....

(PS: Myth...
)

Oh and btw Sub, beer is the nectar of the gods....

But if you must drink here Beez, remember, yellow is best...

They call it Gold for a reason ya know....

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Another point you will find here as much as the AFL/NRL battle is our cars are huge here.

There is always two, and you're either born into one family or the other;
Holden

and Ford

V8 Supercars are as big a sport as the football codes, I guess it is our nation's NASCAR, but is country wide.

While the GTHO Sub posted is indeed one of the very few Fords I would own, this is the Holden most car nuts in Aust long after. I've had two....

The LX Torana.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Good on ya'
(did I say that right?)

Thanks for all the tips!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Yeah Mate, I'll lend ya me ears. But I'll need em back when ya finish. There boomerangs ya know.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yesterday I had my final interview. It was a conference call with several department heads. Two hours. Brutal.

Will know for sure, finally, this week.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Start learning about AFL, as a bloke its probably the first thing strangers will talk to you about. Pick any Melbourne team to support except Collingwood (will become obvious why later).

Canuck says, "DEMONS BABY!!!!"
I miss AFL.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Yesterday I had my final interview. It was a conference call with several department heads. Two hours. Brutal.

Will know for sure, finally, this week.

My fingers are crossed for ya dude

P.s pay no attention to the post above mine, as he stated hes a Canuck and doesnt know what hes talking about, the demons suck!!!

Go for Brisbane Lions, when people start to give you grief about it just tell em you were a Fitzroy supporter, everyone will feel sorry for you and buy you beer

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

....the demons suck!!!

Now. They ROCKED 20 years ago.
I'm not joking. I REALLY miss AFL. That's good football. Haven't been able to get it in 15 years.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

....the demons suck!!!

Now. They ROCKED 20 years ago.
I'm not joking. I REALLY miss AFL. That's good football. Haven't been able to get it in 15 years.

20 years ago???

Maybe 40 years ago but I dont think theyve even made the semi finals in the past 30!!!!!!!

Surely they would have the AFL on some sports channel over there somewhere?
In Malaysia we have the Australian Network Channel that plays at least 4 games every week during the season so I dont miss much.
How about online?

P.s Its good to see a non Aussie as a proper footy fan

Your team sucks serious ass yet you still defend them and choose to only remember the glory days (In the case of Demons fans under 70 its more imagine the glory days), The true sign of a hardcore 1 eyed footy fan.
Despite your awful choice of team you sir have my grudging respect

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

This is the Demons I remember:

In 1981, under the chairmanship of Sir Billy Snedden, Barassi returned to Melbourne as coach and immediately appointed Robert Flower as captain. In Barassi's first year the team finished last, but this was attributed to working out who the willing players were and the club won some powerful victories in the next three seasons. But although Brian Wilson won the Brownlow in 1982, and Peter Moore won it in 1984, Barassi was unable to get the club back into premiership contention.

In 1986 Barassi was replaced by John Northey. Under Northey, Melbourne made the finals in 1987, for the first time since 1964, losing the Preliminary Final to Hawthorn on the last kick of the game after the final siren. It was also the last game played by the team captain Robert Flower. In 1988 the Demons did even better, reaching the Grand Final, only to be defeated, again, by Hawthorn.

en.wikipedia.org...

And yes, I'm fiercely loyal.
I think Beez is really going to like the AFL.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

If my wife lets me watch it!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Wont be any issues there,

A bunch of 20 something year old blokes in peak physical condition running around wearing tight shorts.
The ladys love AFL as much as the men just for different reasons LOL

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Wont be any issues there,

A bunch of 20 something year old blokes in peak physical condition running around wearing tight shorts.
The ladys love AFL as much as the men just for different reasons LOL

There is no sport with a better male physique. For us ladies, its like getting a chippendale show weekly. But err I do love the Sydney Swans 2012 Premiers baby woooooot !

*Mmmmm Buddy Franklin (lying with the enemy he plays for the Hawks)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join