It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15-year old genius invents fast and cheap way to detect cancer.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Jack Andraka is the boy genius that singlehandedly invented a new way to detect lung-cancer, pancreatic cancer and ovarian cancer.

Jack Thomas Andraka is a 15-year-old American inventor and amateur cancer researcher. He is the 2012 Intel Science Fair grand prize winner. Andraka was awarded the Gordon E. Moore Award for his work in developing a new method for detecting pancreatic cancer. [1] The Gordon E. Moore Award, named in honor of the co-founder of Intel, is for $75,000. He also won other prizes in smaller individual categories for a total award of $100,500.

Andraka's sensor costs $3.00 and 10 tests can be performed per strip, taking 5 minutes each. The method is 168 times faster, 26,667 times less expensive, and 400 times more sensitive than ELISA, and 25% to 50% more accurate than the CA10-9 test.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

So if a 15 year old can do this with a little effort put into it.... what can YOU do with a little effort?

edit on 8-2-2013 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
They will probably assassinate him aswell.. knowing the retarded humans that we are.. sigh.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I hope not, this is one brilliant person.

Kind of makes you wonder what humans have already come up with that corporations or governments are keeping buried.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

WOW JUST WOW!!!!!

God Bless That Kid!

What a Beautiful Idea. Supercool!

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I hope he doesn't have an accident soon.

He just made a lot of powerful people angry.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Useless.... But I guess we need it if we're going to keep sitting on our asses while allowing the governments to have control over the cures.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Meaningless

Useless....

As was that post absent of your reasoning.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My only fear is that this will either be overlooked by companies and government health departments (whom we all know are in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies) or the big companies will find some way of bumping the price up to a way larger sum and use it as a tool for making billions meaning it will be used by the few and not the many as this smart young man clearly intend it to be.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Why would they kill him off?

It's not like he's found a cure, he's found a way of detecting cancers easier..therefore allowing more cases of cancer to be treated, which apparently the "evil money grabbing doctors" want.

So uh yeah, missed the forest from the trees here guys, this guy is a gold mine for the "evil money grabbing doctors".

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Useless....

As was that post absent of your reasoning.
Do you get what I'm saying? There are cures, some illegal (even if they are natural) so we don't need devices for detecting cancer faster when we can just break out of our ignorance and finally come to realize we've been lied to since birth about diseases and the cures for them.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Avoid HFCS. They say on the media cannon that "sugar is sugar; your 'bawdy' doesn't know the difference".
But it's just another lie, because your body does know the difference. I read that the only food the brain recognizes, can utilize, is sugar, just a fun fact.

There's a thread pointing tp HCFS as being lethal, a carcinogen. Maybe all 'bawdys' aren't the same.
edit on 8-2-2013 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Well there are many forms of cancer. Are you saying we have cures to all?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

For sure but sadly, we have zero control over the planet and therefore what we think, want or need does not matter. Everything is presented to us and they can only hope we latch on, that's all.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is a great story, but it aready has a thread that was started last August here www.abovetopsecret.com... (ATS search Andraka)

What is new is that Aaron Swartz, who committed suicide very recently, after being vilified by authorities for promoting internet freedom, championed what arguably facilitated Andraka's breakthrough!

See: www.vancouverobserver.com...

This thread should probably be closed and linked to the existing...
edit on 8-2-2013 by surfin4it because: added link to pre-existing thread

edit on 8-2-2013 by surfin4it because: fix sp error

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
From the wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org - Jack Andraka...):

In an interview with the BBC, Jack said the idea for his pancreatic cancer test came to him while he was in biology class at North County High School, drawing on the class lesson about antibodies and the article on analytical methods using carbon nanotubes he was surreptitiously reading at the time.[7] Afterwards, he followed up with more research using Google Search on nanotubes and cancer biochemistry, aided by free online scientific journals.

He then contacted 200 professors at Johns Hopkins University and the National Institutes of Health with a plan, a budget, and timeline for his project in order to receive laboratory help. He had received nearly 200 rejection emails before he got a positive reply from Dr. Anirban Maitra, Professor of Pathology, Oncology and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

He reads more human, but at 15 I was playing video games.

Sometimes I wonder how different our world would be if we could read science books and math books for fun. Imagine if there was no Xbox or Playstation. Just lots of eager learners.

...eager learners that're learning useful things.

*shakes head*

But that's another world. One that only exists in fiction. Too bad.

Instead a minority comes out and does what the rest of us to this day take for granted. Is it any miracle that a actor makes tens of millions and yet a scientist is lucky to make a million. Is it any wonder that we as a global population spend trillions of dollars each year on military to protect ourselves from each other? Is it any mystery that we're reading a story about a 15 y/o inventor?

I recall watching a news reporter doing a short interview of a "genius". The boy was telling her that he didn't waste his time on video games. He developed skills and he did his school work and that to him those things were more important than wasting time. It's sad that this little boy had more wisdom than many of us adults. And it's sad that we have to label him a genius instead of a hero.

Whoever said it had it right. It's a miracle that humanity has survived.

EDIT: Ok, so I'm being harsh. But it's deserved. There's lots of wasted potential. And I also understand that some people are so low that no amount of criticism will help. These people are long past caring. They've simply given up and my words do no service to them. It's like kicking a dog that refuses to sit up and walk and just cowers in fear and awaits banishment from existence.
edit on 8-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Brilliant! Tagging on to read later!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
He spent a lot of time doing this research, it wasn't easy. The thing is that there are a lot of things that we can do and share on the net to help others for a fraction of the cost of what is being sold to us now. I fear that this will either be bought up by a big company and the cost increased a thousand fold or the companies will go out of their way to discredit his product and form a new extremely more expensive and scammingly more accurate than his. If it's not lining someone's pocket it is not allowable.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

So if a 15 year old can do this with a little effort put into it.... what can YOU do with a little effort?

And more to the point, if a 15 year old, with little experience and effort can do this...why can't all the so-called Cancer researchers and scientists, who are raking in $100's Billions per year in cancer donations do it?

Hmmm...think i've answered my own question.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
A 15 year old genius can detect pancreatic cancer, but 200 government-funded scientists have trouble with the HIV virus? What the hell?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
A 15 year old genius can detect pancreatic cancer, but 200 government-funded scientists have trouble with the HIV virus? What the hell?

But this kid is very intelligent and apparently not greedy or worried about the security of his job yet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join