It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i live in the bible belt please explain to me about tithes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
i used to live in wi and we would always put some money in colection plate but after i moved down south everyone tells me i got to pay 20 percent of my income as my tithe to church . i have been to churches who have asked to see my tax forms so they could make sure i was giving my 10 percednt tithe. i remember in the old testament they took up 10 percent of the crops to help out a community that the crop was destroyed in but that was abrahams idea i believe . now i do know that the word tithe is tax in latin and i remember reading in the new testament that jesus went into his fathers house and kicking out the tax collectors. most preachers i speak with here in the south don't seem to remember that happening. when ever i get a bonus or come into alittle extra everyone around me remember your tithe i don't currently belong to a chuch i say . they rspond with well you could gve it to my church and we will shout your praises brother bradwell. so what is the deal is it a legit command from god or a bunch of crooked church preachers?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I would have to go with the latter

I am in no way affiliated with a spiritual indoctrination so can't really help you with the rest
(is this voluntary tithes?/ after a second of research it looks like 10%)
edit on 7-2-2013 by Inarismessenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Yeah, God really needs that money..

I don't think the church needs it either.
edit on 7-2-2013 by TheLaughingGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

I have played drums for a ton of churches. The "asked" tithe is usually 10%. They try to tell you that you will receive 10 fold on your investment.
Because I got paid to drum, I used to tell them that I just saw my return on investment faster than they did.

Short answer: It is a way for the church to make money.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Explanation: Uhmmm?

You will find some answers in here if you care to dig as I don't care to quote any of the various scriptures right now.

Tithes (21 instances in KJV) [blueletterbible.org]

Personal Disclosure: I am pretty sure God does require some tithes ... but the amount and how often you can find out for yourself if you really are interested!

Please post any findings you assertain in your research ok!

We would all love our ignorance to be denied ok!

edit on 7-2-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken bbcode.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
All my life, when I did go to Church, I gave, loonies and toonies, sometimes passed. They can't make you give anything and I won't take food off my childrens plate, not rich enough. We need 1000 dollars a month more to be able to live within a margin of bare comfort and have money for emergencies.

Only in one Church, and Anglican one, did he try to bully me in a home visit and I said no way.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
i used to live in WI and we would always put some money in collection plate but after i moved down south everyone tells me i got to pay 20 percent of my income as my tithe to church . i have been to churches who have asked to see my tax forms so they could make sure i was giving my 10 percent tithe.

i remember in the old testament they took up 10 percent of the crops to help out a community that the crop was destroyed in but that was Abraham's idea i believe . Now i do know that the word tithe is tax in Latin and i remember reading in the new testament that Jesus went into his fathers house and kicking out the tax collectors; most preachers i speak with here in the south don't seem to remember that happening.

When ever i get a bonus or come into a little extra everyone around me remember your tithe i don't currently belong to a church i say . they respond with "well you could give it to my church and we will shout your praises brother bradwell."

So what is the deal is it a legit command from god or a bunch of crooked church preachers?

Look at it like this .. If the place of worship is 'feeding' your soul....support it .. just like any other legitimate business out there .. some preachers work hard at what they do and never request a dime for it. But in today society churches have become a business.........just like when Jesus whipped the money changers (Jews) out of the outter court because they were taking up the space where the gentiles were allow to come and be partakers of the ceremonies there.......yea.. the church turn into a business..

New Testament in a nutshell is this... if someone saves you from certain death.....and you KNEW you were on a path as such practically saw your life flash in front of you......what would you repay them for doing it..?

I give for the one reason and the one reason alone........someone save my life from destruction and I could never repay them for what they did .......So I became a servant to them the rest of my life....including my wallet & my time (and both are precious to me as they are to Him)....should he ever request that I give a portion of my allowance....it's a good as done.. but, I have been request to give more...because he needed it..

give what is given to you ..

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Never yet been to a Church that "made you", and that would be a BIG PASS. Catholic doesn't, went for years Anglican doesn't and only 1 minister bullied. United doesn't.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I was under the impression that tithes were nowadays used for the upkeep of the church. Then you see churches in Texas that can hold 1000+ people, and it kinda makes sense that there wasn't just a "church grant" to build such a place and that most of the money comes from Church goers.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

But they're not obligatory, they are encouraged from those with more money. Never heard of one that is obligatory, would never attend then. Church for the rich. While Christ walked with the poor. They wouldn't be Christians so no need to attend the Church of Satan.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Tithing is still a valid command today. Ten percent of our money belongs to God. Notice I said belongs to God, and not to the churches who claim they should be the ones receiving it. If they read their Bibles they would understand that any 501c3 tax exempt church is in fact a government agency, which is exactly what the image of the beast of Revelation is; it's a church and state conglomerate, just like the first beast (church and government power in one entity). But of course they won't agree with that.

When one tithes, it should be for the purpose of spreading the Word of God throughout the world. Sure, God could just snap His fingers and the entire world would instantly know He exists, but humanity must work with Divinity in order for the wonders of God to be appreciated in their fullness.

For example, right before Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, He told the people present to remove the stone which sealed the tomb. After they did that, He called Lazarus out. Jesus could have just spoke, and that stone would have flown from in front of the tomb. By telling them to remove the stone, He was signifying the importance of humanity working with Divinity.

Do not let those churches or church goers try to talk you into giving them 10 percent of your money. That money should be given to somebody that you know for sure is spreading the Word of God in the way which He intends it to be spread. If you do not feel comfortable with giving it to any of your local churches, there are other ways of going about giving your tithe money to God. You could find an organization which is dedicated to passing out Bibles in other countries, or which preach to parts of the world who have not heard the Gospel.

Here is a link to a good study on tithing, if you wish to read it:

www.remnantofgod.org...
edit on 7-2-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Tithing is not a command, its a Church thing, and its not an obligation.

If you can afford to give to the Church after having, rent or morgage, insurance and medical, all your bills paid, clothes and all expenses, food, and more than crapola, but healthy nutritious heritage organic non GMO and not feed your children poison, (because that would be a crime and sin if you could afford it), and have money for repairs, and what you need, and for happiness too, and you still have money left over, maybe you might donate some of it.

But otherwise, its EVIL TO ASK ANY OF IT. ITS FOR THE RICH.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Where the Church says the money is going is not necessarily where the money is going.

That's all I have to say

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Without going into its whole history, tithing is an old covenant teaching. It was part of the law. Look at Leviticus 27, Numbers 18, and Malachi 3:8-10. The one in Malachi is a favorite of pastors to lay guilt and condemnation on people.

Tithe comes from the Hebrew word "maaser" translated as tenth part or tithe. Also from the Greek word "dekate" translated tenth or tithe. So I don't know where they get that 20% from. It isn't biblical.

Tithing is NOT a new covenant teaching, and all church leaders know it. Christians are not under the law of the old covenant. Christ fulfilled the law by living it, and meeting its demands perfectly. Therefore, fulfilling the demands of the old covenant, and establishing a new covenant. Anyone who is "in Christ" has died to the law, and yet lives to God through Christ as perfect under it.

In short, tithing is a scam by the church leaders on an ignorant, and unsuspecting congregation. Don't fall for it, and don't feel guilty or condemned for keeping your own money in your pocket.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

No where in the New Testament does the Bible tell you to tithe 10% or 20%. You can tithe with money, service, volunteering, and any other way you can manage to give to The Lord.

Tithing is just the easiest means to serve.

If the Church you're attending now told you that you must or need to tithe 20%, get out. They are lying to you, Biblically.

Some people God uses for giving money, service, preaching, and missionary work. However, spreading the Gospel is not cheap, so money is always needed. If you work all the time and are busy, then tithe to be a blessing. If you don't have a lot of money, but plenty of time on your hands, volunteer or serve at your church.
edit on 7-2-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Tithing is a biblical principle without a doubt, and it has a number of reasons.

The first being simply a matter of up keep. Churches don't charge admissions, they don't generate revenue from advertising, but they do have a mortgage on the building, they have all the expenses a business owner has save taxes. The staff has walked away from a professional career to instead feed into your soul, and expose you to the truth. Before my conversion, I thought pastors just sat around all week, then showed up on Sunday to speak his mind for thirty minutes, but after getting to know the pastor at the small church I attend now, and the huge one I used to attend, I see that (a good pastor, at least) works as much as anyone; should he not be paid? All those out reaches, and the financial help that local churches provide, where do you think the money comes from? When you go into a place of business, realize that all the employees, the air-conditioning and heat, lights, and everything else is afforded by your contribution, and non-profits are no different.

Next is the spiritual issue. Abraham payed the tithe to Melchizidek (hope that's spelled correct) as a tribute, out of thanks and honor to him, and we pay the tithe to God through the church for the same reason. Psalm 24:1 teaches that the earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. It was his providence that provides all that we need, and committing what we have to him is the acknowledgement of that truth. Out of gratitude, out of thanks we give. Jesus also taught us that where your heart is, there also will be your treasure (Matthew 6:21). Show me your check book, and I will show you what you value. If the greatest command is to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and strength, what's the problem with giving ten percent, when we give the government more than that? Where do your loyalties lie?

And we must realize that in order to love God, we must love his people, namely the church. Are they perfect? Far from it; This is why we needed a Messiah to live and die on our behalf. Are all who proclaim the name of Christ truly of Him? By no stretch of the imagination, Jesus specifically tells us to watch for wolves in sheep's clothing, and that not all that call on His name will be saved (Matthew 7:15-23). But on the other side, we cannot assume someone is evil because they ask for money. We all go to work every day with the expectation of pay, and the pastor and church deserve the same. They provide a much needed service to the community.

1 John 4:20 puts it best when he says, "If anyone says 'I love God' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." No one by the name Christian should stand idly by and watch his fellow believers struggle. Granted, there are the mega churches who have millionaire pastors, but I only put my money where I think it is of good use, and there are countless churches in America with pastors who love God and men, and have a hard time feeding their families because of those who say they love Christ but refuse to contribute. In a nutshell, we love God by loving His children. I can't tell a woman with children "I love you, but I hate your stupid kids!"

I'm not saying this is you, but there are many who would discourage you from contributing simply because of some unsubstantiated prejudice.

[end rant]

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
How about this for a definition.
It's a tenth.

so in the bible belt,

out of your pay you'd give

1/10 to the father
1/10 to the son
1/10 to the holy ghost
1/10 to the preacher
1/10 to his wife
1/10 to his lover
1/10 to the usher
1/10 to the organist
1/10 to her husband
and the last tenth is yours for the week

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
No point in tithing unless you take God at his word and believe you will receive 10 fold-100 fold or more in return.

Tithing is not intended to make you poor - its the exact opposite, but you must do it in faith believing you will receive in return, and you will. I know it works.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nonchalant

Think the acts of Peter and Simon the sorcerer-you cannot buy a blessing from God.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I live in nc and i go to a free will baptist church. We are taught that tithing is 10% as a base to start from. It is commanded of us in the Bible to do at least this. I personally dont believe that you have to pay more. When you pay more than required, you are simply showing your Faith in the Lord and when you believe truly believe thats when you will be blessed. As far as a return on your investment, i would have to say you are looking at it the wrong way. Good luck with this as it can mentally tear your Faith down, when you dont SEE it come back to you. God will bless you in his perfect timing. Gotta really believe, and know in your heart beyond the shadow of a doubt that he will bbless you. Try it you may be surprised. Also note, I seriously doubt you will find bags of money under a tree root or something. It usually comes when you need it most or are unaware it happened until later you associate your tithe with wehat you recieve. May not be money at all.
This my belief and i dont want to be bashed so the haters keep it to yourselves. I wont entertain any negative replies. Sticks and stones brothers...Sticks and stones!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join