It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion for American gun control advocates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
To: American gun control advocates

The Constitution of the United States of America and its subsequent Amendments are the foundation of establishing liberty for the people of this nation. They are the basis by which new laws are measured to avoid violation and infringement upon the liberties endowed by God, not by government.

The government, on the contrary, is bound by oath to serve the people by upholding these foundational liberties and principles.

Suggestion
If a citizen of the United States does not agree with the fundamental principles of liberty and freedom established in the Constitution and its Amendments, then become an expatriate. Disavow your citizenship and leave. Rid us of your treasonous insolence via exodus. The Constitution is the law of the land, and you have enjoyed the liberties and freedoms established therein thus far. Perhaps it is time for you to go live in one of the more oppressive nooks of the globe, where the anti-liberty tripe from your frothing mouth will be much MORE likely to be met with the butt of a rifle instead of a free cell phone from Obama.

What makes you think the freedoms established in the Constitution are subject to your opinions? We have already seen enough liberty eroded for the sake of "security". How many more freedoms will you sheep gladly hand over for a false sense of greater security? Somehow, certain factions of government keep succeeding in manipulating you to relinquish your personal freedoms willingly.

Instead of messing with laws that protect MY liberty, I'd just as soon you find the door and try your luck elsewhere. It's more my nation than yours, because I agree with the laws that once made this nation great.

/rant

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
because I agree with the laws that once made this nation great.

Once. Exactly.

Just because something once worked doesn't mean it can now, the country is so much different now. There have been amendments before and can be amendments now. People need to stop fighting for something just because the constitution says so and fight for the actual thing that they want, whether it is supported by the constitution or not. The constitution shouldn't come in to arguments at all.

I'm not saying this because I do or do not support gun control, I'm not expressing my opinion, I just hate it when people blindly back the constitution simply because it's the constitution. People need to think for themselves and fight for what they think is right for the country regardless of what worked 200 years ago (whether that's pro or anti guns).

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
"What makes you think the freedoms established in the Constitution are subject to your opinions? ... How many more freedoms will you sheep gladly hand over ..."

Ha.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
People need to stop fighting for something just because the constitution says so and fight for the actual thing that they want, whether it is supported by the constitution or not. The constitution shouldn't come in to arguments at all.

Exactly. The actual thing I want is for my personal liberties to be protected and upheld. It just so happens they are defined by the Constitution, which is the law of the land.

My elected representatives in government take an oath to uphold my liberties defined as such. I think I'm clear on what I'm fighting for, and it just so happens those principles were defined in documents that laid the foundation which allows us all to open up our mouths and speak our minds.

Should we re-evaluate the documents from 200 years ago that allow you to open up your mouth?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
"What makes you think the freedoms established in the Constitution are subject to your opinions? ... How many more freedoms will you sheep gladly hand over ..."

Ha.

What a brilliant and scholarly contribution. I assume you only wrote one word because that may be the extent of your vocabulary. I am both understanding and sympathetic to your limitations, but would like to thank you for your grunt in favor of my notions. I appreciate the kind support, my fellow patriot of Liberty.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980

Originally posted by SpearMint
People need to stop fighting for something just because the constitution says so and fight for the actual thing that they want, whether it is supported by the constitution or not. The constitution shouldn't come in to arguments at all.

Exactly. The actual thing I want is for my personal liberties to be protected and upheld. It just so happens they are defined by the Constitution, which is the law of the land.

My elected representatives in government take an oath to uphold my liberties defined as such. I think I'm clear on what I'm fighting for, and it just so happens those principles were defined in documents that laid the foundation which allows us all to open up our mouths and speak our minds.

Should we re-evaluate the documents from 200 years ago that allow you to open up your mouth?

But your OP says that guns should not be taken away simply because the constitution says so, and anyone that disagrees with the constitution should get out. That goes against what I said and what you've just agreed to, it goes for both sides of the argument. Make reasoned points and keep the constitution out of it.

If the constitution suddenly vanished your freedom of speech wouldn't go with it, I think that people give too much credit to the constitution when it comes to freedoms that nearly all other countries have. It's not the constitution that allows your freedom of speech, if those it charge wanted to take that away do you really think they'd consult the constitution first? It has a lot less power than you think it does.
edit on 6-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
What a utterly stupid rant….

I am not American, as far as I am concerned now I can see some very good arguments for American’s to keep all of their guns.

That said this rant is just wrong.

Effectively the OP is saying that any American who is opposed to guns should renounce their citizenship and become a expatriate because they hold a view that Guns should have more restrictions. OP, What about the first amendment, what you are saying is that if a American says “lets ban all guns” your response is “fine lets renounce your citizenship”. Do you really have no sense of irony that you think you are defending the constitution by ignoring the first amendment to protect the second.

Also you “liberties” are now endowed upon you from god, that again is just wrong what if we are talking about a American who does not believe in God then such a individual can say your rights are all rubbish because they come from a entity whose existence you cannot prove. Your liberal rights come from your natural rights as human beings not from God.

People who think they need a bit of paper to tell them what “rights “ they have probably don’t really understand what “rights” actually are.

edit on 7-2-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well I guess I'm glad you're not American.

There is no irony or contradiction in my statement. I never said anyone should lose their First Amendment right to free speech. What I said was that if someone doesn't like the fundamental laws that have defined our culture since the inception of this country, they should pack up and leave instead of lobbying to change the laws and ruin freedom for others. It ain't that hard to understand.

top topics

join