It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Unveils Super Bowl Security Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I personally have a sense that Super Bowl 47 is going to be bigger and "livelier" than normal...

So does the entire city of San Francisco:

So it comes as no surprise to learn, via tipster Jefferson McCarley of Mission Bicycle, that multiple city agencies are coming together to ensure things go more smoothy (orderly) on Sunday.

In a meeting held Tuesday between various Mission merchants and SFPD, Public Works, Recology, SFMTA, and the Fire Department, the agencies laid out exactly what to expect: increased police presence, blocking traffic to the neighborhood, "police supported" fire trucks, mandatory towing, trucks "flushing" people from the streets, and powering down overhead electric bus lines.

Wow. I wonder what their definition of "police supported" fire trucks mean. Are we gonna see Fireman with AR-15's? Scary thought.

Most of these measures seem perfectly sane and reasonable, especially given how particularly flammable our neighborhood has been lately.

But blockading streets (with the ever delightful parade of motorcycles, low-riders, trucks, and recumbent bicycles along with it) and flushing people off the streets sounds eerily similar to how Democrats treat convention protesters, and that gives us pause.

Gives me a pause, too.

Does anyone else think this Super Bowl is going to be more chaotic than previous games?

Article And Summary Of Meeting Minutes

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by theAnswer1111

It would be more exciting if Ray Lewis dropped over......eh, I will stop there....
I guess if it happened, it couldn't have happened to a better person!! Only a couple dead guys on his rap sheet and still playing football while the "murderer" he helped hold the guy down is in jail for life?? Hmmmmmm

Colin, Colin, Colin, Colin.........

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The superbowl is possibly the single most watched event in the world. The amount of attention it gets is immeasurable. It stands to logic that they would have as much security as possible at an event like this.

Every time there is a major event-superbowl, olympics, etc, lots of people predict that there will be some sort of terrorist attack, or major disaster "this year". Eventually, someone will probably be right.

ETA: Remember, thre have been lots and lots of 'victory riots' in these cities.
edit on 1-2-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This isn't even the plan for the host city, unless the SFFD plan to make a 24+ hour drive in their fire trucks.

So all of this is security in place for a city whose team is participating and not the superbowl city. These are the same people (SF and Oakland) who kill innocent people on BART and love terrorizing their civilian population. Why am I not suprised?

Oh well. This is just another way to warm the waters...

"Look, it's ok for us to basically declare martial law for a day because of a football game. So why can't we always do it for the sake of safety?"

When you tell people you are planning for something bad, it has a way of coming true...

Edit: re to captain...

This is for the city of SF, not the event as I read and understood the snippet
edit on 1-2-2013 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2013 by YouAreLiedTo because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A game a thousand miles away give or take ??????

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell

Like I said before, these cities often have 'victory riots'. The San Fransisco Giants won the World Series this year.

Victory celebrations turned into mass rioting after the San Francisco Giants clinched the 2012 MLB World Series. Thousands of frenzied baseball fans lit fires, overturned cars and rampaged through the city. ­Fans had congregated in City Hall to watch with baited breath as the home team snatched victory from the Detroit Tigers after 10 innings of nail-biting action. As the match came to a close, fans went wild with joy, setting off fireworks in the streets, setting fires, smashing windows and spraying each other with alcohol. Many climbed on top of cars and buses, and shouted out their love for the Giants. In one strange display saluting their team’s four-game sweep of the World Series, fans brandished brooms and danced down the streets of North Beach, chanting “Sweep, sweep, sweep!”

rt.com...

Football fans are generally far more rabid than baseball.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

While I agree that most precautions before major events are pretty standard practice, it's pretty alarming to see this much law enforcement activity going in a city that is not actually holding the games there.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theAnswer1111
reply to post by captaintyinknots

While I agree that most precautions before major events are pretty standard practice, it's pretty alarming to see this much law enforcement activity going in a city that is not actually holding the games there.

Its definitely a lot, but after the world series, it doesnt surprise me. Especially in California.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by mikell

Like I said before, these cities often have 'victory riots'. The San Fransisco Giants won the World Series this year.

Victory celebrations turned into mass rioting after the San Francisco Giants clinched the 2012 MLB World Series. Thousands of frenzied baseball fans lit fires, overturned cars and rampaged through the city. ­Fans had congregated in City Hall to watch with baited breath as the home team snatched victory from the Detroit Tigers after 10 innings of nail-biting action. As the match came to a close, fans went wild with joy, setting off fireworks in the streets, setting fires, smashing windows and spraying each other with alcohol. Many climbed on top of cars and buses, and shouted out their love for the Giants. In one strange display saluting their team’s four-game sweep of the World Series, fans brandished brooms and danced down the streets of North Beach, chanting “Sweep, sweep, sweep!”

rt.com...

Football fans are generally far more rabid than baseball.

Agreed. And in today's environment, sports like football are the only identity and passion people care enough about to do something. It sickens me to see how brainwashed people are over sports. May as well call it a religion.

If people cared as much about the Earth, politics, or [insert whatever] instead of stupid sports... I can only speculate on how the world would be today.

Such a distraction. Bread and Circuses until the collapse!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well, if I can add anything more meaningful to this thread, it would be to wish everyone a safe and happy Super Bowl Sunday...whether you participate or not.

edit on 2/2/2013 by theAnswer1111 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join