It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census Taker At My Door?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the correct forum so mods please move this if necessary.
About 2 weeks ago I received the census in the mail. I work 12 hours a day some times 6 days a week so making time to fill out & return something I don't feel is necessary allows it to fall by the wayside. A few days ago while at work I received a text from my youngest son, who is 17, saying that a census "lady" had come by the house & informed him that they had sent a form & 2 notifications. He gave her my cell number (at which point I told him to NEVER give my number to anyone even though I don't answer numbers I don't recognize), she left a number with him & I didn't bother to call her. Last night, about 7pm, there was a knock at the door & it was the census taker. She was polite & unassuming enough but her questions threw me a bit. It wasn't just how many people live in the house & how we're related if at all. Her questions included if each of us were covered by health insurance, did my employer provide health insurance, who provided my sons insurance, who was my employer, how much was my average electric & water bills per month, the number of vehicles we own, etc. In my personal opinion these questions were far from the norm for the general census. Am I mistaken or are these the normal questions & is it the norm for them to show up at the door after only 2 or 3 weeks with no response to their mailer?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

She is either 3 years late or 7 years early.....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

She had the proper identification & the mailings I received were "official"....I dunno.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

Something is fishey as they already have the last census totals.

Did you get her name, number or any other way to know who she was or how to contact her?

If it were me, I'd call the Census Bureau myself and ask about it.

Hope you didn't give SSN, DL#, CC#(s) or any other ID theft information.

Also, check "scams". Search scams + census 2013 or something like that.

www.census.gov... Also has a link to contact your regional office and find out if it was a scam or legit. Seems they do special surveys in years that are not the once a decade Census as well.

edit on 27/1/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
yea Mister. every ten years.

census was over a while ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You don't think the census is important?

So I guess when your town/city/village/damp rock, doesn't get it's funding, and public services can not operate correctly, you have pot-holes in your roads, libraries close, schools lack needed books, firefighters get laid off, police stop responding to calls, you won't be complaining?

Not everything important has to directly effect, or profit, you.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
if legit, you should have a business card with Their Credit Bureau office and Phone Number on it to Call - Verify

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
"No comment."

"Still no comment."

(And so on.)

"Thanks for stopping by, have a nice day now."

It's what I did on my census. "I dunno, dunno, rather not say, dunno."

The thing is, you never know when the next Hitler will take over, and you never know who the next Hitler will target - imagine if they had a database with every "subhuman" registered on it though. If Catholicism becomes the next "death camp target" in a few years, how do you think the Catholics who registered as Catholics on the census will be treated?

All a census should show is how many people live in a certain area. Nothing more.

Inb4 Americans flame me for not having any rights as a British subject.

Inb4 Britizens flame me for having an "American ideology."

Edit: also everyone seems to be saying the American census is over - write to the local and national rags and every radio/tv/internet/media outlet you can find the contact details for. Let them know this is happening. Is it unconstitutional to do this in 2013 or something? I dunno, best to ask around though.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

Edit two: also your mayor. Lol, I almost forgot about the mayor.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
She was there for the American Community Survey (from the census bureau).They came to me and threatened me with a fine.After reviewing some of the questions.I told them to pound sand in it.Here's a couple links,first and,second links are about your rights.They say it is anonymous,but the first question they ask is your name.The questions get real personal,to me it also seemed supicious.

www.acluohio.org...

www.truthistreason.net... rticipate-in-the-census-survey

....Man...
edit on 28-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
You can always ask on their Twitter/Facebook Page

Its Dc Counts

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

No, didn't give any personal info & I do have a name & phone number for her. I may be silly at times but not THAT silly

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Exactly, it seemed suspicious. The census needs to count heads not know that my childs insurance is provided by his father who is active duty & stationed at Quantico or that I'm perfectly healthy, able bodied & haven't been hospitalized in the past year. Does that make me a potential threat at some point? Hardly. Just because I work & haven't been ill doesn't mean I'm capable of overthrowing the cat from my couch.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Personally, I had a lot of fun with the last census buffoon that came calling. They ended up leaving in a huff.

"How many people live here?"

"Well counting the dogs, 17"

"Sir, a dog is not a person"

"Are you insulting my dogs you whipper snapper? Wanna go over and say that to their faces? I thought not. Next question."

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
HAHAHA ^ i would probably do the same exact thing. i like to play with those kinds of folks, its really none of their business who has what insurance blah blah this probably has something to do with obamacare, im not sure what, but thatd be my guess. im surprised they didnt ask you if you owned any firearms with all the recent flaming of the 2nd ammendment.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well, she DID call my 65lb English Bulldog a "baby". If I'd have thought about it I'd have added her to the list of humans! lol

reply to post by dirtybird

I agree, it did pass through my mind that it had something to do with Obamacare & no, there were no questions about firearms. Just the number of people living here, where we work, birth dates, insurance, vehicles, average monthly utilities, things like that.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
She was there for the American Community Survey (from the census bureau).They came to me and threatened me with a fine.After reviewing some of the questions.I told them to pound sand in it.Here's a couple links,first and,second links are about your rights.They say it is anonymous,but the first question they ask is your name.The questions get real personal,to me it also seemed supicious.

www.acluohio.org...

www.truthistreason.net... rticipate-in-the-census-survey

....Man...

Awesome! Thank you for those links.
I was harrassed a few years ago because I refused to fill out my form.
They came everyday asking me to fill it out and said "I HAD TO".
I told them to kick rocks.

My wife eventually ended up breaking down after all the constant annoyances and filled it out.
This time.... # isn't going down like that.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

No problem,They throw that law out to you,like you will go to the federal pen.They won't answer what the penalties are when you ask.I had to look it up,Then I found out that in the case of the American Community Survey,the law is unconstitutional.I will not participate with anything that the federal goverment does,that takes away any more rights.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
That is still rather strange, did you happen to knotice if they were going to every door in your area, or did they just pull up to your house? lady sounds sketchy to me

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dirtybird

It was dark when she came by this time so I have no idea if she visited anyone else on my street. The neighbors may have filled it out & mailed it back already. She was probably in her mid 50's, slightly heavyset, I could definitely pick her out of a lineup.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

www.hulu.com...

Your response reminded me of this masterful performance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join