It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois: illegal immigrant driver's licenses available in 10 months

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So today when I was watching the local news here in Chicago a story popped up about the Governor signing a bill allowing illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses... Now wait... They're illegal immigrants and you're giving them the right to drive here legally? Anyone see a problem with this? Oh yea, thats right, that's just our corrupt govt. playing right into the illegal minorities of this state to keep that true blue going strong...

Gov. Pat Quinn signed a bill into law Sunday allowing illegal immigrants to get special driver's licenses, but it will be at least another 10 months before they'll start being issued.

The Illinois secretary of state's office estimates it'll need that much time to finalize rules and train employees about who qualifies and what paperwork can be accepted.

The lag time did little to dampen the mood of hundreds who braved icy weather to watch the ceremonial bill signing on Chicago's Southwest Side. The fanfare at Instituto del Progreso Latino included performances by a mariachi band and a roster of speakers 15 dignitaries deep. Supporters said the measure will make it easier for undocumented immigrants to get insurance.

"This bill is not just about driver's licenses, it's about equality for all," said sponsoring Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago.

What bothers me is that Edward Acevedo (quoted above) states that this is not about drivers license but about equality??? Since when is not being a citizen and not having to go through the proper channels to obtain citizenship an equality issue.

Honestly, I'm shocked that I continue to live in this god awful state named Illinois. It's beyond corrupted and they seem to want to make life easier for illegal immigrants... I love how the Gov. signs this bill on a Sunday, who signs bills on a Sunday? To a certain degree I feel that my civil rights our being violated. Illegals are driving on roads and streets paid with my tax money. I say, Let's sue the state for helping people break federal law. WTF! Shouldn't ICE be called when one of these illegals goes for a drivers license? What's the point of ICE then if they dont do something about this...

I know many will probably hate me for this thread and will reply with "we all came here illegal unless your native american" or some crap like that...

Source
edit on 27-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

"This bill is not just about driver's licenses, it's about equality for all," said sponsoring Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago.

This clown just doesn't get it. It's not about Drivers licenses OR equality. It's about whether this is a nation of law or not. If it is, there is a law against sneaking into this nation like a thief in the night while thousands upon thousands go through years of formal process to do that legally and properly. What FOOLS they are, huh?

It's absolutely unrelated to origin too. I don't care if they are from Mexico City, Dublin, Moscow or Shanghai. If they aren't here legally they need deported and they can apply for the process like everyone else. The second time, they can be thrown out with NO option to apply legally and the 3rd time, invite them for a few years in a federal lockup before they are THEN deported.

Enough of the nonsense ... OR... try and pass the laws that CHANGE the immigration law. That works too if support can be gained to do it the right way. It's always failed because the overall public DOES NOT WANT THIS. That carried over 80% numbers when making illegals legal was attempted last time in Congress.

They just don't give a hoot what the LAWS are anymore. It's whatever they say it is for their political pet projects and benefits for the next election.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly, if this was just some ploy by ICE to round them all up sending them back to whatever country they're from then great, but it's not that... I honestly don't get how they treat this like some glorious victory in our state today... I'm beyond disgusted...

Take the legal channels it takes to get here and you're A-O-K in my book. Come here illegally chewing up my resources and costing me (the taxpayer) money, I have a problem with it...
edit on 27-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Ok, i'm gonna grasp at straws here, the term ILLEGAL immigrants, if we citizens were to do something ILLEGAL, we would have to go to jail and do time, but to be an ILLEGAL immigrants gives you more rights than the common working man/ woman. the gov't basically hands them food and money to be here, but us locals have to go through hoops and be damn near destitute to get any help.

Yes I'm a bit jaded on this one, An ILLEGAL immigrant was WELL past the legal limit and rear ended a car with a local business persons daughter in it, he was doing like 70 in a 35, that poor girl will never be the same. They have loads of medical bills, and what happened to him, just a normal DUI.

I also got kicked off a job at work, because the ILLEGAL immigrant ahead of me, who is illerate(sp) in spanish and english, I hurt his pride one day, and he had an attitude ever since, I pointed out he was half assing his job, and I got moved.

Is that really fair to the people who actually are US citizens. Hell for a normal person to get an ID the info they want is very specific. They will NOT accept a letter you have to sign for from the US postal service. But they can walk in with minimal effort and walk out with an ID.

OK RANT is over, just one more thing that makes the US of A great.......pppffftt........

EDIT:
I work with quite a few mexicans and salvadorains, most of them are respecful people, and polite, it's the ones like the one I had to deal with that I want to strap their a$$ to a missile and send them back
edit on 27-1-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The third quote you have there is the the reason for this and I wish it happened about 6 years ago. Illegal immigrants drive. They don't have insurance. In September of '06 I was hit in the passenger side while driving down Harlem in Orland Park. They were at fault, but I paid. And my insurance went up. They were uninsured because they had no license... because they were an illegal immigrant.

Say what you will about them being an illegal immigrant, but doing this potentially has numerous benefits. Among them properly insuring drivers and saving the insured from months and months of stupid insurance company BS.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
¿Que?

Sounds bueno. Which is easier, Japanese, or Espanol?

at last....
edit on 27-1-2013 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

Well, maybe it would be nice if auto insurers backed legal drivers who are hit by those who are illegal...

Side note- strange area drop you had there... I live right off Harlem and Rt. 80, which is very close to where you were hit...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Talk about the nuts running the asylum.

Sounds like the nuts are running the state of Illinois. People are nuts if they keep those bastards in office.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

You do realize they will still drive whether or not they have a license or insurance.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Talk about the nuts running the asylum.

Sounds like the nuts are running the state of Illinois. People are nuts if they keep those bastards in office.

They lose every other area but Chicago each election... Chicago's population is mainly minorities. Minorities typically vote democrat. If you win Chicago, you pretty much win the state each time...

Republicans rarely stand a chance in this state...

And I hope the local jail is getting Governor Quinn's spot nice and ready, because we all know it's coming soon... How many Illinois Governor's are in prison??? And they expect us to trust them and the politics in this state...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Now the illegal immigrants will be allowed to vote.

How nice.

edit on 27-1-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't think many people know about this yet....I'm kind of pissed...I mean what the heck is the ins for? If they can waltz right up and get drivers lic. Then why do we have to pay ins workers?.? This iß beyond dumb...I think California is going to do this too. Isn't there a bill in California that includes all payment for high Ed?
edit on 27-1-2013 by Neopan100 because: iPad

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

You are dealing with people that BROKE THE LAW by coming into the country.

You are dealing with people that BREAK THE LAW every day they stay here.

And you assume that they are going to rush out now and buy insurance to be LEGAL?

ETA - the problem we have is "a little more". We give something in hopes people conform. When it doesn't we "give a little more". When that still doesn't make people conform. Our response is to "give a littl more" and hope it works this time. We need to change the national policy to "take everything" and then people will conform.

Unlawful behavior will not change as long as we continue to reward it.
edit on 27-1-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Ha! That was my destination. I was off to see a friend out in Ottawa after leaving my mom's place in Palos.

What a crap day that turned into...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Bumped,both yourself and Wrabbit.
Far west burbs, pedestrian for 20 years next March because I'm
politcally incorrect.. bad habit of speaking the truth to power.
Especially when it's demanded of me under oath.
Even had an Ace entered in the NHSTB database saying "NOT
Eligible" to operate in the last couple of years; even though I've
technically been eligible since 'the middle of '94. Means I'm trapped
in LaLa Land until forever because tyranny ain't just for breakfast
anymore. I'm not livid, or even surprised... after all this is a blue
state only because of all the bluies in Chicago and immediate vicinity.
I'm indeed grateful every night to be leaving nobody behind in a
world this screwed up... and for little else. Also old enough to
remember what at least the well cultivated illusion of a free country
was like. They're not even trying anymore, it's called balkanization.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Now the illegal immigrants will be allowed to vote.

How nice.

edit on 27-1-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Well, I'm pretty confident that the democrats know exactly who they would vote for if they got the right to....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Yeah.

I worked in Cicero, IL for about 6 years and know many illegals that live in that area. I know many of them would get insurance and a license. I discussed what I was just talking about with many of them and they were for being insured. You think law makers pulled the idea for this out of thin air? There was an issue that needed to be addressed because it was costing people thousands of dollars (nearly $14,000 in my instance), and there were people that were asking for a solution (people like myself as well as illegal immigrants and their political groups).

Immigration reform is a job for the Federal government, but these kinds of close to home issues need to be addressed in the meantime.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The system is flawed, what if you're just a good illegal immigrant who just wants a better life, doesn't bother anyone and works hard for everything he gots.

Isn't that what you want in your country, Shouldn't you be "rewarding" that. Make his life a little easier, so he can enjoy what the country has to offer.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
The system is flawed, what if you're just a good illegal immigrant who just wants a better life, doesn't bother anyone and works hard for everything he gots.

Isn't that what you want in your country, Shouldn't you be "rewarding" that. Make his life a little easier, so he can enjoy what the country has to offer.

Why can't the immigrant you're speaking of come here legally? Why does he have to take the "easy" way in breaking federal laws? I just don't know how you call someone who breaks federal law good? They're obviously starting off on the wrong foot breaking the laws immediately when entering the country...

I'm all for people making a better life for themselves, but I want them to come here legally.

If we go off what you're saying then why even have borders anymore? Why don't we just allow everyone in this country?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

C'mon Beezer, we both know a drivers license doesn't equal a right to vote. An illegal immigrant isn't a citizen by definition, and only citizens can vote. I can't find anywhere in the 14th, 15th, 19th, 23rd, 24th or 26th Amendments where it states "those with a drivers license have the right to vote".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join