It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead astronauts in space...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
There are NO dead astronauts (or cosmonauts) in space.
the only off-ground fatalaties were the Shuttle disaster (the Challenger iirc), and one Voshkod craft that suffered a malfunction in space that produced an accidental vaccum in the capsule; the cosmonauts died but the capsule and their bodies landed.
It is impossible to launch a manned flight into space without multiple countries knowing about it, as everything going up and coming down is monitored (not just by the US and Russia either). This has been the case since the 1950s.
there were no secret manned flights, no secret Russian moon flights, no stranded astro/cosmo nauts, none, nil.

Well, it may be that some missions were 'secret' to the general public, yet not secret to other parties.

X may not call BS on Y for fear of having Y then call BS on X.

edit on 25-1-2013 by 1nquisitive because: edit

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nquisitive

There are NO dead astronauts (or cosmonauts) in space.
the only off-ground fatalaties were the Shuttle disaster (the Challenger iirc), and one Voshkod craft that suffered a malfunction in space that produced an accidental vaccum in the capsule; the cosmonauts died but the capsule and their bodies landed.
It is impossible to launch a manned flight into space without multiple countries knowing about it, as everything going up and coming down is monitored (not just by the US and Russia either). This has been the case since the 1950s.
there were no secret manned flights, no secret Russian moon flights, no stranded astro/cosmo nauts, none, nil.

Well, it may be that some missions were 'secret' to the public. X may not call BS on Y for fesr of having Y then call BS on X

no, seriously, you can't launch a manned space mission without the world knowing it. I have no doubt the Russkies would have if they could have (the 'Baikonour' Cosmodrone is actually hundreds of miles from the actual town of Baikonour, but the Pentagon know after the first launch where it was).
we have 'secret' missions all the time but the takeoff/landings are public knowledge. they just won't tell us what they do up yonder (trackers estimate satellite deployments; even in space they can track you.)

'Red Star in Orbit' is an excellent book about the Soviet space program, and addresses many of the 'lost cosmonaut' rumors.

www.amazon.com...
edit on 25-1-2013 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

How many dead astronauts litter space, and is it possible official figures are purposefully inaccurate?

There are some reasonably interesting reports that the Soviets lost some people in space in the 60s, although who could say if they're true. I don't believe we have. Certainly never heard any rumors to that end.

What happens to a dead body in a vacuum?

Over time, it freeze dries. Instant mummy.

Do astronauts carry some form of 'suicide assist', in the chance that events may unfold in an unplanned catastrophic manner, ie. cyanide etc, to avoid a painful death?

Naw, all you have to do is drop the pressure with the cabin pressure controls, you'll go right to sleep, the end.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by 1nquisitive

From what I can gather US astronaughts do not have a suicide assist .........well it's been widely denied anyway
Where as the soviets apparently did eventually start giving them out .......though I can't find any conformation of this, but they did/do take a pistol ....................doubt it's for protection from aliens

And yes if my memory serves Laika did die of radiation exposure .............don't take that as gospel though ....as I said .......if memory serves

edit on 25-1-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto correct

pistol? Yep, only one thing that's being used for, and it sure isn't to ward of hostile intergalactic aliens!

Well, there's a 9mm in the survival kit. If you have to land the thing in the outback, you don't know what you'll need. Most flights carry a raft or life vests as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by Neocrusader

From what I can gather US astronaughts do not have a suicide assist .........well it's been widely denied anyway
Where as the soviets apparently did eventually start giving them out .......though I can't find any conformation of this, but they did/do take a pistol ....................doubt it's for protection from aliens

And yes if my memory serves Laika did die of radiation exposure .............don't take that as gospel though ....as I said .......if memory serves

edit on 25-1-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto correct

pistol? Yep, only one thing that's being used for, and it sure isn't to ward of hostile intergalactic aliens!

Well, there's a 9mm in the survival kit. If you have to land the thing in the outback, you don't know what you'll need. Most flights carry a raft or life vests as well.

Lands in hostile territory, and has a 9mm as defence!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
And what happens to the bodies?
They slowly mummify. As the life supports run out, they would be in deep freeze and an anaerobic space so little or no decay.
Freeze-dried.
Found this out from a book I highly recommend...Death to Dust, by Kenneth V Iverson, MD.
It tells you everything you ever wanted to know about death and what happens to the body after death. In all conditions, even space. It's a great read, great for a bathroom book and will make you think about your final wishes.
I loaned the book to someone who read it on a long plane trip. Freaked out fellow passengers totally. Because she started "sharing" the section on how they identify people from a major catastrophe, like a plane crash.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thing is, anything in low earth orbit will eventually re-enter the atmosphere and burn up. So even if there were any dead astronauts floating up there in the past, they are long since gone.

Alexey Leonov, the first person to perform a spacewalk, carried a capsule with cyanide, in case he could return to his spacecraft.
edit on 26-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgil
There are rumours of various lost cosmonauts
.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts]Phantom cosmonauts

which states

The evidence cited to support Lost Cosmonaut theories is generally not regarded as conclusive, and several cases have been confirmed as hoaxes. In the 1980s, American journalist James Oberg researched space-related disasters in the Soviet Union, but found no evidence of these Lost Cosmonauts.[1] Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, much previously restricted information is now available, including on Valentin Bondarenko, an early cosmonaut whose death on Earth the Soviet government covered up. Even with the availability of published Soviet archival material and memoirs of Russian space pioneers, no hard evidence has emerged to support the Lost Cosmonaut stories.

There were lots of stories. tracking them down was a significant effort. In the end, all the stories were explained as misunderstandings or hoaxes.

every story.

but it was fun.

There's a new book out about the private 'Soviet space sleuths' who did this work.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
If you happen to spot a floating body on some NASA photos...it's probably debris. It's just paranoia/elia...something....oddly shaped like a human corpse in a space suit.

Very good thought!

Actually, on several Mir missions, worn-out space suits WERE discarded, once at least with an amateur radio transmitter in the helmet. The photos were privately circulated but I think officials didn't want people to see them and get the wrong impression.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

'Red Star in Orbit' is an excellent book about the Soviet space program, and addresses many of the 'lost cosmonaut' rumors.

Aw, shucks, thanks....

My subsequent book, 'Uncovering Soviet Disasters', had updated info, and the relevant chapters are on the 'History' page of my website [see signature].

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
ha dont go saying tehres no dead comanots in space the russions have been very hush hush about how many of theres have died . i reda 58 dead russian
but i KNOW for a FACT one russian who died in space her name was lika and unless the craft she was on has rentered the earth shes still tehre today
for all thous whon think im full of it loook her up

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Lands in hostile territory, and has a 9mm as defence!

No, lands on Russian taiga and needs to defend against wolves. Please do a little research before your mockery undermines your credibility.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightstar
ha dont go saying tehres no dead comanots in space the russions have been very hush hush about how many of theres have died . i reda 58 dead russian
but i KNOW for a FACT one russian who died in space her name was lika and unless the craft she was on has rentered the earth shes still tehre today

"Laika" was a bitch.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

"Laika" was a bitch.

Don't be so mean, did you ever meet her?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

"Laika" was a bitch.

Don't be so mean, did you ever meet her?

Laika was the first living creature to ever be launched into space. Sadly she also died up there as they did not know how to deorbit and bring anyone back at that time.

However, Laika was not a "human being". She was a stray, Russian dog.

Oh, hey, by the way, a pistol in space might sound insane, but believe it or not, you could use it for reaction to propel yourself if you needed to while floating in outer space.

Discharging a gun would have the same force as a small rocket (Newton's laws)......

I think it would be better to use compressed air myself, but technically, it could be used like that.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
yes liaka was a bitch I knew that but whos to say how many the russians lost they didnt tell us about.
unlike the us the russians were very quite about this.
like i said at one time i read they have lost 58 of theres over the years if true how many in space and yes if they died in space im sure they tryed to get the bodys or alest decelrate the ))ship to burn up .
but again who knows would our goverment tell us i know the russians would not.
poor liaka i rember her because someone should shes the true pioner .
Not fond of the russians you should study ther3e bso called space program they started ahead because of lack of care for life using brute forced look up spudnik omg taht thing was one heck of a fire cracker.
we the us won because brut force alone isnt enough it may get you to the moon but the object was to return as well

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
o would a gun discharge in space?? i dought it . as the gun powde3r relys on o2 to burn and in space there is none.
even though rigging a special round shouldnt be hard but tehn you have the temp factor awhat happens to a gun in teh cold or hot of space - 200 pluse 400 depending on sun or showado

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

o would a gun discharge in space?? i dought it . as the gun powde3r relys on o2 to burn and in space there is none.
even though rigging a special round shouldnt be hard but tehn you have the temp factor awhat happens to a gun in teh cold or hot of space - 200 pluse 400 depending on sun or showado

Gunpowder includes its own oxidiser. Think about it: a gun round is tightly sealed, and when the powder is ignited, it cannot get air from anywhere.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

As wildespace posted: yes, a gun using modern ammunition will fire in the vacuum of space.

Fire requires an oxidizer to burn. Normally when you are burning say wood or paper, the oxygen in our atmosphere acts as that oxidizer.

However, the chemicals in modern gun powder contain their own oxidizer. All it needs is the impulse from the primer, which you get when the hammer strikes it.

So yes...a gun will fire in space.

Now, again, as to the practicality of it or safety, I think it would be a lot better to use something else to give you a reaction for thrust than a gun.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Joke went around in Brooklyn soon after launch of 'Layka'.

Caution -- ethnic stereotypes.

I was a kid at the time, already a space nut, and i heard it.

Man discusses space events with Giuseppi, his barber.

Giuseppi is sad that "Laika, she's-a gonna die."

Man -- a Russian from Brighten Beach - corrects his barber.

"No, no, moy frend, 'layka' iss nyet her name, 'layka' iss breed of dog.
She is NOT 'Layka", nyeh, she is A 'layka'."

Giuseppi is even more upset.

"What'a you mean, she's-a 'layka'? She's-a NO 'layka'.

She's-a hav-a no CHOICE."

No dogs were harmed in the production of this horrible pun.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join