It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passing of UFO researcher George Fawcett.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

"I have found there are real objects under in intelligent control being seen on the ground and in our skies worldwire. The unknowns have varied over the decades from 22 percent in my own civilian files, 30 percent in the University of Colorda Condon Committee scientific studies, to at least 40 percent (recently revised) found in the U.S. Air Force Project Blue Book military investigations. This is not acceptable, no matter who is doing the investigations"

George Fawcett, UFO researcher (Ronald Story, Encyclopedia)

Sad news from Lincolnton this week with the passing of UFO researcher George Fawcett at the age of 83 -as it's stated in the article below, George researched the UFO topic for over 65 years and wrote numerous articles about the subject in publications like True magazine and Flying Saucers Review -he also founded the North Carolina chapter of MUFON and investigated more than 1,200 UFO sightings during his lifetime.

Below is a tribute to George from his colleagues at MUFON.

Lincolnton’s ‘UFO man’ George Fawcett dies at 83

Fawcett founded the North Carolina chapter of Mutual UFO Network Inc., a nonprofit organization that tracks and researches reports of UFOs. The group has posted a tribute to Fawcett on its website.

“George’s passing is a very sad day for UFOlogy,” said Lakita Adams, state director of MUFON. “He was very passionate and dedicated to the facts. To him, it wasn’t a matter of believing in UFOs, but looking at the facts and what the evidence shows.”

She said Fawcett concluded that UFOs exist. As to what they were, he was still searching for the answer.

link

Tribute:

George Fawcett has investigated over 1,200 UFO sighting reports and has read over 700 books and 1,000 magazine articles on the subject since 1944. He has had published over 100 UFO investigative and research articles he has written in Flying Saucers Magazine, Search, Fate, Saga, Argosy, True, Flying Saucer Review, National Enquirer, UFO Magazine, UFO Universe Magazine, MUFON UFO Symposium Proceedings. In 1975 Fawcett authored the highly illustrated book, "Quarter Century of UFOs in Florida, North Carolina and Tennessee." His illustrated UFO lectures have been well received by almost 600 different colleges and universities, service clubs, military and scientific organizations, technical and special interest groups in United Stated and overseas. Fawcett has been a guest on dozens of radio and TV shows and also featured in many books and magazine and newspaper interviews. Dozens of Fawcett's articles were listed in the 1969 Library of Congress book "UFOs and Related Subjects: An Annotated Bibliography" published under contract with the Air Force Office of Scientific Research.

Tribute to George Fawcett

Links:

‘Curious George of UFOs’ devotes 40 years to study'
Magazine Article - “Flights of fancy” (pdf)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ah geeze. We're losing all the pioneers in this once controversial subject!

Listen up all ATS whipper-snappers.....we're handing the reigns over to you now. It's up to all of YOU to turn alien-UFO speculation into alien-UFO scripture!

To those who spent time studying this phenomenon...we know without a doubt they are real so now it's up to you to keep the truth alive!

Thanks Mr Fawcett...you truly led the way for many. We'll see you on the flip-side!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
As long as truth is an alien notion (pardon the pun) to certain parts of the authorities, then we're going to see a lot more people who have put a lot of effort into the field sadly pass away without seeing the fruits of their labour

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
As long as truth is an alien notion (pardon the pun) to certain parts of the authorities, then we're going to see a lot more people who have put a lot of effort into the field sadly pass away without seeing the fruits of their labour

I know you mean well when you said what you said
however, life is not about ego. We do our part and move on.
Without the Fawcetts' Hopkin, Adamski, Klass, Hynek, Mack and so on......we wouldn't be where we are in our evolutionary journey for truth.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is such a bummer. I can't help but feel that if he had had just another five years or so...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

I know you mean well when you said what you said
however, life is not about ego. We do our part and move on.
Without the Fawcetts' Hopkin, Adamski, Klass, Hynek, Mack and so on......we wouldn't be where we are in our evolutionary journey for truth.

I think some of the ones who are gone may disagree with you there mate, but of course, we'll never know.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Ah geeze. We're losing all the pioneers in this once controversial subject!

Well I'd say the UFO subject is still a controversial one mate and there are plenty of opinions as to UFO origin but you're right about the importance of getting young people interested and involved.

Atmospherical physicist Dr James E. Mcdonald once said that after running through all the various hypotheses ie: psychological, advanced technology, hoax, poorly understood geophysical phenomena etc.. he was left with "the seemingly absurd, seemingly improbable hypothesis that these things may be coming from somewhere else" and I tend to agree with him about some of these objects not being us.

Whether it's the extra-terrestrial hypothesis, the extra-dimensional hypothesis, the crypto-terrestrial hypothesis etc.. I also think that until there's some unequivocable proof in the public domain as to the true nature of UFOs then the only honest answer is 'I don't know'.

To those who spent time studying this phenomenon...we know without a doubt they are real so now it's up to you to keep the truth alive

Well I'd definitely agree that UFOs are real (and not visionary or fictitious) -they appear on radar screens, cause EM effects on machinery and even leave physical trace evidence so, to me, the 'socio-psychological' explanation propounded by certain debunkers is complete bollocks.

The high percentage of actual unknown UFO reports mentioned by George in the first quote is also a very important factor and he certainly wasn't alone in thinking it 'unacceptable'.

"The opposite conclusion could have been drawn from The Condon Report's content, namely, that a phenomenon with such a high ratio of unexplained cases (about 30 percent) should arouse sufficient scientific curiosity to continue its study. From a scientific and engineering standpoint, it is unacceptable to simply ignore substantial numbers of unexplained observations.

Ronald D Story - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics UFO Subcommittee

Official UFO Unexplained Report Percentages

Thanks Mr Fawcett...you truly led the way for many. We'll see you on the flip-side!

He sure did mate and was apparently a very nice man as well -he discusses some intriguing UFO incidents in the article below and also brings up a connection to the Atomic Energy Commission which I thought interesting as there's a 1950 news article here which also states the AEC wants information on flying saucers and are questioning witnesses about factors like UFO propulsion, luminosity and odour.

We are reminded of a statement made by General Nathan F. Twining of the Army Air Forces (the original UFO study Project Sign) in 1947 forty years ago. General Twining said,

"all pertinent data would be made available to the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)."

link

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

This is such a bummer. I can't help but feel that if he had had just another five years or so...

Folks also said that about Dr James E. Mcdonald but unfortunately he passed away as well.

Mystery surrounds some aspects of McDonald's research. "About a month before he was due to testify in March, top-level government officials reportedly got in touch with McDonald." (p.491.)

In February 1971, McDonald was in conversation with Dr Robert M Wood (a physicist who worked for McDonnell-Douglas.) Although Druffel reports that Wood doesn't recall the exact words used by McDonald, he recalls McDonald saying something along the lines "I think I've got the answer;" "I found out what's behind it;" "I just can't tell you right now;" "You won't believe it! I've got to pin it down a little bit more, and then I'll come out." (p.492.)

In 1973, Wood said "I think he found the trail to the classified work...and some documentation that made it pretty clear that there was a cover up going on, that this was the most classified program in the country." (p.492.)

Unfortunately, the UFO research community was not to find out just what McDonald had meant, as he died, by his own hand, on 13 Jun 1971.

As for George Fawcett, there's another pretty comprehensive news article below about the 1973 UFO wave which details geographical locations, physical trace cases, E.M effects cases and radar cases -it also mentions military contractors like Boeing and Lockheed.

1973 was the year of the UFO

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks Karl12,

RIP George. We will all continue to move fwd, sideways, etc, to keep up your good work. Seems more and more that for the younger generations, it's a given that there is something/one up there zipping around.

For sure, I'll continue my search.

Always appreciate your contributions, Karl12. A voice of reason amongst all the shouting around here. . . .

Cheers,
Nexo

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nexotop

RIP George. We will all continue to move fwd, sideways, etc, to keep up your good work. Seems more and more that for the younger generations, it's a given that there is something/one up there zipping around.

For sure, I'll continue my search.

Well said mate and it's not as if there's a lack of unexplained incidents and other aspects of the UFO subject to research -Brad Sparks also mentions in this article that "there is approximately 225,000 pages of USAF UFO documents languishing in the National Archives and never yet fully studied by researchers since their public release in 1976" but I suppose it's finding the time and means to actually do it (at least future generations of UFO researchers will never be bored).

Here's a clip of George discussing how he first got interested in the UFO subject and I thought he also made an important point in the article here about how 'consistent features of UFOs are being reported independently by witnesses thousands of miles apart' -he certainly knew his stuff and will be sorely missed in UFO research..particularly when it comes to UFO investigations in North Carolina.

Cheers.
edit on 29-1-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Funny, isn't it, if we were talking about other types of objects, animals, birds, what have you, that were ID-ed as so similar thousands of miles apart it would be that much more credible.

Guess it goes with the fear of the unknown, which we all have to certain degrees, suppose it's just more dominant a motivator for some. I'm going to check into 1973 and the records there. I was a grade schooler then.

Thanks for the clip of George. Certainly he has a way about him which engenders trust, to me, that is. Perhaps it's the drawl -

Be well,
Nexo

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
HEY KARL 12, FYI,

YET ANOTHER UFOLOGIST FAWCETT GONE!

Larry.......Fawcett, of the first real "ufo gov coverup" type of ufo book, 'Clear Intent'
died (in 2010) and I only learned of it, today.

Here is a good link.

obit.neilanfuneralhome.com...
edit on 29-1-2013 by Eedjee because: #

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Funny, isn't it, if we were talking about other types of objects, animals, birds, what have you, that were ID-ed as so similar thousands of miles apart it would be that much more credible.

It is pretty funny mate and I suppose if all these patterns of repeated observations were about any other subject then they'd be accepted as self evident, I don't know if you've seen Orkojoker's series of UFO Education videos but there's a good one below with Jacques Vallee about the subject -Nasa's Paul Hill also once compiled a nice configuration of repeated shape reports here and there are plenty of other aspects like pendulum motion which sound very similar.

link

Guess it goes with the fear of the unknown, which we all have to certain degrees, suppose it's just more dominant a motivator for some.

Good point and when it comes to dominant motivators I'd say fear of ridicule is also up there as one of the main factors (even amongst scientists) -you've really got to hand it to the CIA when it comes to the use of precision propaganda techniques and cultivating public perception.

I'm going to check into 1973 and the records there.

George had it spot on about the 1973 flap mate, Kenny Young was also another great MUFON researcher who conducted his own field investigations and there's a relevant statement about the wave below -unfortunately Kenny also passed away in 2005 at the tragically young age of 38.

"Through several trips to the library over the years, I have managed to collect and store numerous newspaper articles from October of 1973, all retrieved from various microfilms. Other generous researchers have also passed along multitudinous articles. The details are staggering, too unreal

The unusual aerial events happening during the October 1973 time-period remains one of the most fascinating of all UFO happenings, an intense and disturbing siege that no dismissive hypothesis or explanatory venture will easily rob of its strangeness".

Kenny Young, MUFON State Section Director.

link

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eedjee
HEY KARL 12, FYI,

YET ANOTHER UFOLOGIST FAWCETT GONE!

Larry.......Fawcett, of the first real "ufo gov coverup" type of ufo book, 'Clear Intent'
died (in 2010) and I only learned of it, today.

Here is a good link.

obit.neilanfuneralhome.com...

Eedjee, good point and UFO research certainly lost another great man when Lawrence Fawcett died -the book 'Clear Intent' co-authored with Barry Greenwood is a truly fascinating one and there's a great interview below with Larry if you've not heard it before.

Paracast Interview with Larry Fawcett and Don Ecker

If you value genuine UFO information, and if you respect a real and honest to God "professional" investigator, then I envy your listening to this episode for the first time.

The evening of February 11, 1995 I had on just retired police Lieutenant Larry Fawcett, who along with Barry Greenwood wrote one of the most important books ever on military/government UFO information and coverup - Clear Intent.

Intro

Part One

Part Two

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
George donates his 20,000 item UFO archive collection of UFO reports, field investigations, FOIA documents, symposium publications, bulletins, magazine articles, journals, newspaper clippings, audio/video tapes and books to the International UFO Museum.

ROSWELL UFO MUSEUM ACCEPTS EXTENSIVE UFO ARCHIVE COLLECTIONS

Roswell, NM-- March 18 , 1998-- Deon Crosby, Director of the International UFO Museum located in Roswell, New Mexico announced today that the Museum's Research Center would be accepting an extensive collection of UFO related items from two separate benefactors, George D. Fawcett of Lincolnton, NC and E.R. (Bob) Sabo of St. Petersburg, FL.

The items, transported to Roswell by semi-truck, encompass everything from UFO Sighting Reports to photos and videos of UFOs, many dated from the late 1940s to present day. Mayflower Transit company valued the collection at $50,000 but first estimates by UFO researchers are upwards of $250,000. Many of the items are priceless, one-of-a-kind documents, photos, and publications.

UFO COLLECTION INVENTORY--1997

UFO CORRESPONDENCE LETTERS8,000
UFO JOURNALS & NEWSLETTERS3,244
UFO MAGAZINE ARTICLES2,000
UFO SIGHTING QUESTIONAIRES 1,600
UFO TABLOID ARTICLES 900
UFO SLIDES 850
UFO BOOKS (HARBACK/PAPERBACK) 900
UFO PHOTOGRAPHS 525
UFO FREEDOM OF INFO DOCUMENTS 500
UFO MAGAZINES1,200
UFO RELATED FILE FOLDERS 400
UFO CLIPPING SERVICE EDITIONS 342
UFO PHOTOGRAPHS FRAMED 85
UFO AUDIO CASSETTE/VHS TAPES 65
UFO FILING CABINETS 37
UFO ALBUMS 15
UFO RECORDS 9
UFO SCRAPBOOKS 10
3-D MISC. ITEMS 3

link

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Very cool, Karl 12 -

Sounds like a good excuse for me to make a visit-
Nexo

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nexotop

And me mate
-here's a free E-book by George about human reactions to UFOs and it's certainly an interesting read, would really like to have a look through those archives though.

“HUMAN REACTIONS TO UFOs WORLDWIDE (1940-1983); WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED FROM
UFO REPETITIONS” by George D. Fawcett

pdf

Cheers.

edit on 23-3-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hello Karl12, when i click your link above i find only a short preview of the book.
Do i have to buy an 9$ day account there to read the full book, because you said its for free.

Thanks in advanced.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by darkergain

Apologies there mate, have fixed the post and the full book is available at the pdf link.

Plenty of other free ones here as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Thanks a lot, and nice collection

join