It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Too good to be true? Here’s the announcement trailer for asteroid mining company Deep Space Indu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.spaceanswers.com...

DSi will operate in direct competition with Planetary Resources for access to the plethora of natural space debris which scatter the galaxy.

One person asks "But why mine asteroids when you could mine planets instead? Can't see this happening anytime soon.".

Isn't the whole USP of asteroid mining that we can wait for asteroids to come to us, rather than waste resources going to/fro other planets?
edit on 24-1-2013 by 1nquisitive because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I feel like I just saw an ad for Blade Runner.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Here is another thread about this.. Exciting stuff if true!

Company Plans to Use 'Firefly' Spaceships to Mine Asteroids for Minerals

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Lets bring capitalysm in space. Yiiihaa

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nquisitive

One person asks "But why mine asteroids when you could mine planets instead? Can't see this happening anytime soon.".

Isn't the whole USP of asteroid mining that we can wait for asteroids to come to us, rather than waste resources going to/fro other planets?

The main reason imo would be that you'd need a large amount of thrust, and therefore fuel to escape the gravitational pull of planets, whereas asteroids have very little gravity making the whole process cheaper and easier.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
2 questions

1) What happens when one day one of these mining pilots wife decides to leave our friend the pilot and take him for all he's got & our friend the pilot decides to smash his asteroid into the earth?

2) if privet companies can "do this" what can the government do that we don't know about?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by 1nquisitive

The main reason imo would be that you'd need a large amount of thrust, and therefore fuel to escape the gravitational pull of planets, whereas asteroids have very little gravity making the whole process cheaper and easier.

Yes, good point, there's that too.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
2 questions

1) What happens when one day one of these mining pilots wife decides to leave our friend the pilot and take him for all he's got & our friend the pilot decides to smash his asteroid into the earth?

2) if privet companies can "do this" what can the government do that we don't know about?

1. Private defence and insurance.

2. Well, yes, what are they capable with all those stolen taxes? But note, government is a very inefficient beast.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I feel like I just saw an ad for Blade Runner.

Quite impressive, right? I hear there's a blade runner sequel too, coming soon.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That is truly an impressive presentation. The worlds collective minds could accomplish extraordinary things. Does anyone believe that we are wasting our time and resources on small things. John Kennedy said we choose these things not because they are easy but because they are hard. Of course they killed him, but none the less truly cool. We have come so far technically, its time for another giant leap for mankind.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Startruth144
Here is another thread about this.. Exciting stuff if true!

Company Plans to Use 'Firefly' Spaceships to Mine Asteroids for Minerals

/Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join