It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

TextIn the course of analysis to identify potential allergens in GMO crops, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has belatedly discovered that the most common genetic regulatory sequence in commercial GMOs also encodes a significant fragment of a viral gene (Podevin and du Jardin 2012). This finding has serious ramifications for crop biotechnology and its regulation, but possibly even greater ones for consumers and farmers. This is because there are clear indications that this viral gene (called Gene VI) might not be safe for human consumption. It also may disturb the normal functioning of crops, including their natural pest resistance.

independentsciencenews.org...

Anyone shocked?

Now I've hit the point where I want to know if I'm eating a GMO.

Start labeling the stuff!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
Anyone shocked?

Not at all. If true, it just confirms yet another "conspiracy theory" isn't as much 'theory' as people try to characterize it.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

lol how do you think they can manipulate the genes in the plants they use viruses to insert the genetic material

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Exact same title:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I'm not shocked, I knew something like this would eventually crop up (no pun). That what happens when you mess around with nature that it will always bite back. (sorry, no pun.).

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

lol how do you think they can manipulate the genes in the plants they use viruses to insert the genetic material

If a virus is used to place material into an organism, cannot that same virus then transplant material from the organism to us? Or is there a different method used to do the splicing?

top topics

join