It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma introduced 2nd Amendment Preservation Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

Introduced by state senator Nathan Dahm, this legislation puts Oklahoma shoulder-to-shoulder with Wyoming and Texas by putting federal gun-grabbers in check.

The language of the legislation is clear: "Federal acts, laws, orders, rules, regulations, bans or registration requirements regarding firearms constitute an infringement on the individual right [to keep and bear arms] in the Constitution of the United States...and are hereby declared to be invalid in the State of Oklahoma."

And now another state joins Wyoming and Texas. Oklahoma decided to use a different name for their bill, instead of using "Firearms Protection Act", which those other 2 states did. There are a few other states out there that have introduced similar legislation, but I believe they only include firearms manufactured within that state and not an entire ban on Federal bans.

I knew Oklahoma would be stepping up with the rest, but Im still a bit suprised Arizona hasnt stepped up yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That's all fine and well, but:

Dahm is also sponsoring Senate Bill 401 which, according to his release, states that licensed gun owners who have not been convicted of a felony will not be charged with a felony for possessing a weapon in a Gun-Free School Zone. The measure will close a loophole created by federal law, and protect law-abiding Oklahomans from wrongfully being charged with a felony.

I completely disagree with this. Not possessing a weapon in a gun-free school zone, is a part of responsible gun ownership, right?

Just because you have a license doesn't remove the ability to commit evil acts. We do not need people walking on school grounds with guns, unless given direct permission. Or does that not make sense?

I have no problem with someone being charged with a Felony for this.

The measure will close a loophole created by federal law, and protect law-abiding Oklahomans from wrongfully being charged with a felony.

Wait a minute! Is it law-abiding to possess a gun in a 'Gun-Free School Zone'?

www.krmg.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

The more the merrier.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Federal law is federal law

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

by putting federal gun-grabbers in check.

Has any legislation been passed that actually requires gun confiscation?
at the very most it sounds like they'll ban the sale of assault rifles. I've seen nothing that indicates they're going to come pry the guns from cold dead hands.

and isn't this the same state that passed a law forbidding the future implementation of shariah law?
yep just looked it up...it was. and ironically a federal court ruled it unconstitutional.

There's paranoid....then there's Oklahoma paranoid.

It's sad when an entire state is more paranoid than people on a conspiracy forum.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

What's that have to do with States rights? If a state belives that "Shall Not be Infringed" means just that..and that any law to change that is unconstitutional...then so be it!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I find it ironic that states that pass legislation for stricter gun control are applauded by the media and government yet states that pass legislation for laxer gun control get told they can't do that and are reviled.

Which is it, people!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

It's sad when an entire state is more paranoid than people on a conspiracy forum.
reply to post by Ghost375

hey now!! no more than 70% of the state believes in UFOs......and only 95% in bigfoot...so don't paint us all by the same brush..

HAARP on the other hand....that's at about 101%

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

The Problem with the Gun Free Zones is only this in some cases

Dahm says there are some gun-free school zones that extend out a thousand feet.

So, theoretically he says, someone who is three streets away from a school building could be charged with a felony

from the link provided in the op

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Has any legislation been passed that actually requires gun confiscation?

At the moment, atleast Federally, no. (Im speaking about recently) Some states, like NY, are passing laws that are absolutely horrible IMO, but nothing has been passed Federally. Those 23 executive actions Obama signed, dont really do much at all I think, regarding my right to have firearms.

at the very most it sounds like they'll ban the sale of assault rifles.

There's really only 3 things that will/may not even be brought infront of congress. With the ways things have been going, I think another AWB is getting less and less likely to pass. Heck, now there's a chance it wont even make it onto the floor. I believe it's roughly around 60% chance it wont pass, 40% it will pass, and the chances of it passing go lower and lower each day. As for an over 10 round magazine ban, I think that's more likely than an AWB. Id say it's pretty much 50/50 at the moment, or maybe 52/48. As for the Universal Background checks, I believe that has the highest chance of passing.

and isn't this the same state that passed a law forbidding the future implementation of shariah law?

I think Oklahoma is trying to be proactive. They see a possible threat in the future, and try to put measures in place to stop that percieved threat before it arrives. The Sharia law thing is just way too imaginary to think something like that would happen in this country, but a possible weapons or magazine ban is alot more likely compared to Sharia law being imposed on the US.
edit on 19-1-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The Sharia law thing is just way too imaginary to think something like that would happen in this country

I want to share a little something with you...this is just south of us in texas, but not new to us here..

During our visit to the 2011 legislative session, we provided information to law makers on proposed anti-Shariah legislation stating any attempts to ban Shariah would be an attempt to restrict our Constitutional rights. Additionally, we worked with our coalition partners to encourage immigration reform. This coming session we aim to continue our work

Texas Muslim Capital Day

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

The Problem with the Gun Free Zones is only this in some cases

Dahm says there are some gun-free school zones that extend out a thousand feet.

So, theoretically he says, someone who is three streets away from a school building could be charged with a felony

from the link provided in the op

They extend thousands of feet for reasons. It's not like they just made up these boarders with out having any thought behind as to why they should extend these distances.

It's the law, people need to get over it and find a new way to their destination, avoiding gun-free school zones. That simple.

Theoretically they could be charged, and should be charged.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I think Oklahoma is trying to be proactive. They see a possible threat in the future, and try to put measures in place to stop that percieved threat before it arrives. The Sharia law thing is just way too imaginary to think something like that would happen in this country, but a possible weapons or magazine ban is alot more likely compared to Sharia law being imposed on the US.

You're right, but the odds of them passing legislation that requires gun confiscation(they've only been discussing a ban on sales) is practically zero. And the odds they will send in troops to confiscate guns in Oklahoma is even lower.

Do you all see why I think they are being extremely paranoid?
edit on 19-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

So if you live in your house for 25 years, and you also happen to have a carry permit,....then a couple years ago they come build a school on the next street over, you should be charged with a felony for carrying in your own yard even tho you have a permit?

crazyness

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
How does a State law over ride a Federal one? It’s an admirable stance but how can it be enacted upon?
edit on 19-1-2013 by BlindBastards because: .

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I 100% doubt legislation that imposes Sharia law upon us would pass our state congress and definantly wont be signed into law by Rick Perry. I would suspect literally every senator and represenative in my state would vote a bill like that down.

I just dont see a realistic threat of Sharia law being imposed on us anytime in my lifetime at the moment.

You're right, but the odds of them passing legislation that requires gun confiscation(they've only been discussing a ban on sales) is practically zero. And the odds they will send in troops to confiscate guns in Oklahoma is even lower.

I am very pro-gun, but I agree that some of this "They comming for all your guns! UN troops will be running around our streets!" talk is just a bunch of fear. I wouldnt be suprised if absolutely nothing happens and everthing stays the same as it has been. Those 23 executive actions? Maybe they're just "feel good words", and wont actually do anything, and will be forgetten about in a year or so. I just joined the NRA recently, but Im already banging my head against the wall for some of the stupid stuff they've done, such as their latest ad talking about armed guards for Obama's children and not ours and all that noise. Heck, even in the 23 executive things Obama signed, he passed the exact thing the NRA wanted with regards to more police in schools. After my 1 year membership with the NRA expires, I problably wont renew my membership.

Im glad my state of Texas is trying to pass a "Firearms Protection Act" and others are following, but I dont see the ultimate doom and gloom some of my fellow pro-gun people and organizations are spreading.

link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

So if you live in your house for 25 years, and you also happen to have a carry permit,....then a couple years ago they come build a school on the next street over, you should be charged with a felony for carrying in your own yard even tho you have a permit?

crazyness

Do you have any examples of this happening?

Wouldn't this conversation ever come up before the building of the school? I can imagine this scenario playing out if people aren't involved with their community. But lets be serious: public school, eminent domain, city hall, blah blah blah.... this can all be addressed appropriately and is no federal loop-hole just to get people felonies.

It's a joke really.

Just something to complain about.

link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
How does a State law over ride a Federal one? It’s an admirable stance but how can it be enacted upon?
edit on 19-1-2013 by BlindBastards because: .

Oregon and Colorado did recently with marijuana laws.

Arizona did with immigration laws.

New York did with STRICTER gun control laws.

10th Amendment!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

In 1995 when the Gun Free Zone law went into effect, there were houses already built around the schools... see what type of thing I am talking about..

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Those 23 executive actions? Maybe they're just "feel good words", and wont actually do anything, and will be forgetten about in a year or so

I doubt that....I am pretty sure having your doctor ask your child questions about the guns in your home will remind everyone pretty often,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join