It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Zoo visitors pelt frightened lions with SNOWBALLS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

# Helpless lions take cover as group - including children - hurl snow at them
# Attack 'launched by young man who laughed as he pelted animals'
# Other animals at the zoo in Hangzhou, eastern China, were also targeted

Throwing snowballs at lions does not sound the safest - or kindest - way to enjoy yourself.
But when the animals are contained in a zoo enclosure and you are firing down on them from behind a safety barrier - it is a little easier to be brave.
These lions certainly looked less than pleased when they were pelted with snow by laughing visitors, including children, at Hangzhou Zoo in Zhejiang Province, eastern China.

link

edit on 10-1-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Nice post

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
WTF!? Are these people that calloused and savage? Lets put them in a cage naked, with nowhere to run, and let people throw snowballs at them all day long.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Do any lions live in snowy climates?
I feel like I should know this, and I don't think they do, but I can't remember. I believe some tigers do.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Dang! Too bad their enclosure wasn't accidentally left open.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm sure the cats are thinking 'When someday just one care human gets sloppy ... revenge!'

I'd really hate to be the Zoo staff in charge of caring for the well being of those two. Someone has to keep them healthy or this would be a real short term attraction, to be blunt about it. So.. Wow... That's wrong on multiple levels.

I wonder how many of the owners/handlers being eaten over here in animal confinements are from bad treatment? Actually doing it as the whole point though? I'd want combat pay just to feed the kittys after that!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It's crap like this that makes me think we shouldn't ban guns, we should ban stupid, sadistic people.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A what the heck kind of person does this?

B What the heck kind of zoo doesn't have an inside area for the animals to go into if they want to get away from the visitors?

C Lions aren't above playing the odd practical joke themselves

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yeah the chinese got some issues, there was a while ago a story of some chinese kid who had a puppy, well a teen not a kid, he kept throwing it into the ocean it'd swim back and he'd keep throwing it back in while laughing with his friends, poor thing was almost dead when someone came up and took it away from them.

Then theres others, a friend of mine was in some middle east country on vacation and they took a boat ride along some sea area or river and dolphins were swimming along with the boat, so lovely right, so the chinese on the boat adults mind you were throwing rubbish plastic bottle etc at the dolphins...

I dont know if its the only child policy and them all being spoilt and their parents have let them get away with anything so they can do anything or what it is.

If i was a keeper at that zoo i'd go along unlock all the cages lock the main gate, then ring a little bell coz its DINNER TIME!!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It is a cultural thing. They eat anything that moves, preferably alive and screaming. There is little to no surprise they would behave as they did. Then again, we have Michael Vick........ Maybe it is just that most humans suck,.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
are you guys serious? didn't you have snowball fights when you where a kid?
i'm sure the lion's are gonna be ok.
i hope i'm not the only one who thought that pic was quite funny.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku

What if you go in a cage and then let us throw you snowballs. Pics will be funny....or not anymore?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
what a shame, the poor lions. As if they are not in an unnatural enough environment, they are now in snow and people are throwing snowballs at them. Nice to see the daddy lion shielding the mummy one.
Once again, human thoughtlessness/arrogance/cruelty strikes again.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Might be not so bad if it was only a couple of snowballs its still like poking an animal with a stick though, but i have no doubt there'd be chinese lining up to do this every day throughout the winter, the photographer wasnt just their on a lucky day to catch this, should just walk past and woops i slipped and pushed mr fatty in there, ow well.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Pretty sad. Those people should be ashamed, not welcomed back, at the very least. The animals are already caged, might as well annoy to even hurting them to show superiority right?
edit on 10-1-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I hope you are the only one that thinks this is funny. It will restore a tiny bit of faith in my fellow man.
2nd line. Due to TnC's I would like to point out I am being extremely polite. I had to delete the first two responses.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I hope you are the only one who thought the picture was funny. Sad individual

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
At least they weren't bullets.
In a way, the expression on the Lion's faces is a bit comical. Had the back story not been known, I might have laughed.
It really wasn't that long ago that MOST humans had little empathy for wildlife. It was either for Eating, Harnessing, coats, of just plain target practice.

a lot of Cultures have moved past that, and do have empathy towards non-human critters.
I think, over time, if we don't kill most of the wildlife off first, that empathy will become part of most cultures.
At least, that's what I hope..

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
as a few replys have quoted my post, i want to reply.
i am 100% against animal cruelty, but if you want to highlight/expose animal cruelity . a stupid story about kids throwing snowballs at lions? I think is quite stupid.
animal cruelity happens in every nation, you cant just keep pointing you finger at a single nation.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

as a few replys have quoted my post, i want to reply.
i am 100% against animal cruelty, but if you want to highlight/expose animal cruelity . a stupid story about kids throwing snowballs at lions? I think is quite stupid.
animal cruelity happens in every nation, you cant just keep pointing you finger at a single nation.

Read it again. Large group.. INCLUDING children. Link is in the OP.

<<   2 >>

join