It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Calling for Ban on Long Kitchen Knives Submitted by Michael RinoRemover on Wed, 12/26/2012 -

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I don't even know where to go with this....forget the fiscal cliff, the world is going over the insanity cliff. Help us all.

What things do you think will be brought up for banning next?

www.capitalismisfreedom.com...

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all. They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen. None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed. The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Already a thread on this, I would do an ATS search, but you should have done that yourself before posting.

Edit: NVM, here it is www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

yeah insanity cliff. We went over that years ago, but still falling.
Next it will be a ban on long sticks. Every tree will only be allowed to grow to a height of 9cm.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

Takes some sort of genius to conclude that banning weapons designed to kill means that we will ban knives intended for cutting and trees.

Really does.

And also to neglect to notice the age of the article.

Oh well, no one said humans were going to evolve any further than we have. This is it folks, humanity at it's prime. Aren't you proud?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Everyone misses things....sorry it bothered you so much.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
let's see no one does meat slicing any more, they just go to the butcher shop and get there pre cut meat , ribs, pork chops, and steaks.
No one does bread slicing any more, how many bake bread or home slice it. so there is 2 kinds of 10" knifes that are not needed, carving turkey or goose or even ham try that with a 5 in knife.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Buy yourself a watermelon,set it on a post,and throw six eggsized rocks at it as hard as you can from 6 then 10 then 15 the 20 and so on FEET away,when you are done throwing all six ,after stepping back in controlled retreat six different times,go and look at the damage you did to the watermelon and imagine an assailants head wounds and even if they would be conscious??

The Egg-sized rock analysis stops this conversation every time.

To top it off,in Canada you can be charged with criminal offenses for carrying egg-sized rocks to defend yourself with.

In Canada have a they rationalise that if you are defending yourself you admittedly are useing a weapon to do it,and if that weapon is in your pocket ----well then your carrying a "concealed weapon",ha ha ha,thats no joke.

next time you want to gripe about gun laws and such in America,realise that all Canadians have a federally legeslated right to carry concealed handguns,but the Chief Firearms Officers of each province conspired together to mutually agree to refuse to issue them in a rational and reasonable manner,thereby by proxy defeating the federally legeslated laws useing Provincial counter laws,or through indirectly achieving this goal by COLLUDING together to subvert Federal Legeslation.

Out of over 32 million potential rightful concealed handgun carriers there are less than 100 permits issued in the entire country.

31,999,900 Canadians are being illegally deprived of their charter rights through a collusionary action by multiple Provincial civic employees with a self-supporting agenda to subvert Federal Legeslation.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
First your guns get banned then the knives. Next all the rocks will be outlawed and I'll lose my avatar..
edit on 1-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
reply to post by ZeussusZ

Takes some sort of genius to conclude that banning weapons designed to kill means that we will ban knives intended for cutting and trees.

Really does.

And also to neglect to notice the age of the article.

Oh well, no one said humans were going to evolve any further than we have. This is it folks, humanity at it's prime. Aren't you proud?

Sometimes it takes a genius to understand sarcasm, most of the time it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
What a complete waste of time it would be banning pointy knives!

This guy must think humans are that stupid that we couldn't improvise if we really wanted to make a weapon to replace them. It doesn't take a genius to sharpen a piece of metal.

I've seen TV shows of inside prisons where they have access to basically nothing and they still manage to make shanks.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
As moronic as this suggestion sounds, as someone who does a lot of cooking, I'd agree that long, pointy knives aren't particularly useful. As someone else pointed out, long knives are needed to carve meat and cut bread, but bread knives are generally round tipped (all of mine are, at least) and you only need the pointy end of a carving knife to spear something (which your carving fork will do fine) and to cut around something (which would require another knife for, if your carving knife has a rounded tip.)

That said, it's a pretty stupid suggestion. If I lived with someone who was mentally unbalanced or drank a lot or something, I suppose it would be sensible to not have numerous long, sharp and pointy things in easy reach, but banning such utensils is foolish to accomplish a goal like that. Unless you're attacking someone who is quite large, I would guess that a steak knife would be sufficiently long enough to reach their internal organs, and good luck banning those.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Can we ban cheese graters and vegetable peelers too? I always seem to rake my knuckles on those things. I mean seriously.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by oonkala

As a victim of cheese grater crime, I agree, and it's always one of them nasty stingy cuts too.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by oonkala
Can we ban cheese graters and vegetable peelers too? I always seem to rake my knuckles on those things. I mean seriously.

Cheese graters don't tear up knuckles, clumsy people tear up knuckles.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What is whacked is that the BMJ published this study in 2005 [www.bmj.com...], The study was not well received, because they forgot something called the scientific method when doing it. They had determined result before they collected the data. Go fig. You don't do that in science. The conclusions they are getting from random data is crap. Full copy of article is also available at [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...].

When you read the full study, it clarly shows some whacked conclusions in my opinion. It talks about keeping kitchen knives out of the hands of alcohol and drug abusers so they should ban them entirely... um... what about addressing the problem of alcohol and drug abuse? It admits to not having any real data, so they talked to a bunch of people and linked to some random news stories and worked out their own numbers. This is all to reduce death in spontaneous attacks. In a spontaneous attack, anything would be used as a weapon. Chairs, table legs, rocks, etc. The study is complete BS, which is why it was never implemented.

What is odd is why this is all over the news now, since it was written 7 years ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

to say that long pointed knives are useless in a kitchen for cooking and food preperation is just plain ignorant. i a cook and you cant do dog D

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
That's statist thinking for ya...soon coming everywhere in the western world.

These statists brains really have a problem...
edit on 2-1-2013 by lolita64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well I'll admit to that.
I was banned from using any knife in home economics because I would always end up slicing myself.

But you really did prove my point exactly. Its the people behind the tool doing the damage. Be it guns, knives, screwdrivers or cheese graters. The tool is just that... A tool. It needs human interaction to operate.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It seems we all missed it, from the OP's post

since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed. The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.
if used in the proper way 5 in blade can kill, just as a box cutter can, so they as well should be band , use butter knife to cut up your meat, bread and the like and no... no point is needed to kill some one.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I would have to agree most, if not all injurys are due to operator error. I have been using chefs knives all my life, (since the age of 16) and I cannot recall ever cutting myself, now serated steak knives in dish water is another story. If they ban big long knives how on earth will I make my salads?? I might starve to death.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join