It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Ten Reasons We Know The Earth is Round.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TRUELIES11

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
But even a FLAT Earth is round. What proof do we have that it's spherical?

Watch the video again.

Just arguing semantics. "Round" basically means circular; it doesn't necessarily imply "spherical." That's all....

edit on 1/1/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

It does when you look at the back of the turtle. The back of the turtle is spherical. We are on the back of a turtle yes? As Phage pointed out...

We live on a hemispherical turtle.

Indeed.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

Originally posted by forgetmenot
I'm not trying to crack a joke, but are there people who actually still believe the earth is flat?

theflatearthsociety.org...

Damn, you beat me to it. How bout this then...

The Flat Earth Society (also known as the International Flat Earth Society or the International Flat Earth Research Society) is an organization that seeks to further the archaic belief that the Earth is flat instead of an oblate spheroid. The modern organization was founded by Englishman Samuel Shenton in 1956 and was later led by Charles K. Johnson, who based the organization in his home in Lancaster, California. The formal society was inactive after Johnson’s death in 2001 but was resurrected in 2004 by its new president Daniel Shenton.

Source

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I thought the earth was supposed to be a little oval-ish .

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thudpuddy
I thought the earth was supposed to be a little oval-ish .

An egg dropped by a giant space chicken?

I could believe it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

It does not work that way because water creates pressure. With no water, the planet would not look that way. I think Earth is more of a spiral, which means Earth is flat. Similar to a swiss roll but round.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Top reason we know the Earth is round? We have PICTURES of it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

But even a FLAT Earth is round. What proof do we have that it's spherical?

Because the shadow of the earth on the moon is always a circle... and there is only one geometric shape that casts a circular shadow from all angles:

A sphere.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

The only time the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon is during a lunar eclipse. A lunar eclipse only occurs during a full Moon (when the Sun is opposite the Moon). There is only one "angle" when the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon.

The curved edge of the shadow is the shadow of the flat (but circular) Earth.

edit on 1/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Indeed. The world is round.

“You’re very clever, young man, very clever,” ........... “But it’s turtles all the way down!”

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
No.1 should rightly come from the source that proclaimed it first. At least in my view.

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..." (Isaiah 40:22,NIV). (By the way, the Hebrew language at that time did not have a word for "sphere," only for "circle.")

No.2 would be the moon. People of all times have been able to see a round moon and a round sun. I know if someone told me the earth was flat no matter what period ? I'd say bat schit !
edit on 1-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Having fun, Phage, haven't you ? :-)

Ok so let's exercize further: what about horizon ? The Earth must be at least curved...all the way "round". With a very clear sky, on the sea for exemple, you can see boats "falling" in the horizon, but we know they do not fall (at least not before reaching the rim of our Discworld!) as they generally reach their final destination (unless they go in the Bermuda Triangle, of course, where they are sure to be abducted by Aliens, or drawn in the ocean's deth by some mystical crystal pyramid, or whatever). So there must be a curve. And this is the case anywhere in the world, so the curve must be continuous.
How about that? (and I'm sure you will find an answer to that too)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

If you look away from the gas layer and say it is not part of earth then in fact the matter earth is not a round/sphere thing but an earth shaped thing that have mountins and cravices that make it not a perfect sphere.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

You may have heard this but... Earth is much smoother than an Billiards's ball.....

So if you think billiards's ball is smooth... earth mountains have no effect on it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRUELIES11
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

It does not work that way because water creates pressure. With no water, the planet would not look that way. I think Earth is more of a spiral, which means Earth is flat. Similar to a swiss roll but round.

How does water "create" pressure?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

<< 1   >>

join