It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the grid ever actually does go down...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
First off, I am a decently intelligent guy, but I know next to nothing about the power grid and how we actually receive electricity throughout the country.

I have been reading scenarios here and there about possible loss of the power grid due to an EMP, and I have read the massive sun flare theories. I never put alot of credence into the stories, but I read about a "vision" that a guy had in which power was lost to the country and then there was just absolute chaos. SOmething about the guys story struck a nerve.

Any board experts...what is the real world scenario if something were to happen to badly damage grids around the country? How many EMP blasts in the atmosphere would it actually take to cripple the country? How long would it theoretically take to restore power if everything went at once? I am sure t thathere are back ups and more back ups, kinda looking for something to level my head about the idea.

I have this nightmare of losing power for weeks in the winter, and my family and I having to fight off looters and crazy people trying to steal my house. I have a small child and I find that things I used to never think about really bother me. Five years ago I really wouldn't have cared.

edit on 31-12-2012 by BSFC123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We've had a few storms in Connecticut over the last couple years that have knocked out power for a few weeks at a time. I've found that instead of freaking out, people actually calm down. I had a generator and well water so I had my neighbors come over to fill up their water jugs and RVs, they gave some gas for the generator if they had it. It wasn't Armageddon. Don't freak out over dreams. I think the majority of people are awesome when it comes down to it.

If we go back to using candles people will still be good as a majority, deep down.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I've thought about this very thing also. There are very few people really prepared for a long-term power outage. All you have to do is look to Hurricane Sandy and what those people went through.

If the grid does go down, I am positive you will see chaos from a large number of people. Criminal types will come out of the woodwork and exploit the situation.

It's just another thing that people have taken for granted for years.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BSFC123

If the power grid goes down for any exended amount of time, do you guys realize that the nuclear power plants will go into melt down??

Google a map of nuclear plants in the US and it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by BSFC123

If the power grid goes down for any exended amount of time, do you guys realize that the nuclear power plants will go into melt down??

Google a map of nuclear plants in the US and it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.....

Wow. Just... wow.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

I really hope that is the case. I just wonder about entire parts of the country, or even the entire country itself, going down...I know in my area it can take a day to get just my neighberhood back up from one transformer blowing. If there really is a massive outage, I think it could take months.

I think people would turn crazy if it was out for more than weeks. I read one article that said it could take years if there was a really massive failure.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
A single high altitude nuclear EMP blast would be sufficient to wipe out the entire power grid for the continental US and part of Canada. It is a real possibility and one that the government not only acknowledges, but also is working on trying to avert on some levels. Putting the power lines underground is one step, but all of the transfer stations are vulnerable out in the open.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Annnnnd now I'm thinking of moving to an island somewhere.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BSFC123

The Real Scenario is .. Katrina, with the Knowledge that NO ONE WILL COME.
Thats a Worst Case Scenario, It can Happen, It Has.
I believe it was in the 1860's , when a Solar Flare hit , that would wipe out the Grid Today.
In the 1860's , there was no Electronics to be Affected.
So, Ya , Solar Flare, terrorism, even a Sucker Punch by Ma Nature, could affect our already Over-Taxed Grid.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Man I really wish this crap had all taken place before I had a little boy. I swear, the thought of me getting killed in an explosion or having to fight for my own survival is faceable....but the thought of this kid (or any kid) starving to death or someone hurting him makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

That's my thought. No phones, no communication or at least very little, and no help in sight....nothing to stop criminals from going buck wild.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSFC123
I have this nightmare of losing power for weeks in the winter, and my family and I having to fight off looters and crazy people trying to steal my house. I have a small child and I find that things I used to never think about really bother me.

Don't really concentrate on the looter aspect. The elecricity is the problem. Think about it in terms of just another storm like Sandy. It will take weeks to get back the power. What can you do to keep afloat, keep your refrig working, keep the lights on?

Personally, I got a diesel generator and a storage tank for diesel. I figure I can last six weeks at 12 hours a day with power, six months at three hours a day to keep the fridge working. If you are out longer than that, there's not much you can do anyway.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There's always potential for a natural disaster to knock out power for a while. (Stop freaking him out, guys.) Stock up on canned food, bottled water, candles, a first aid kit, the stuff you should always have on hand. Get to know your neighbors. You may find that someone has 50 loaves of homemade bread in their freezer and someone else has 50 pints of jam on a shelf.

Don't live in fear, just live prepared. When the power goes out, everyone walks outside scratching their heads and speculating.. the majority of people just reach out for community. Your community will protect you.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

That's my thought. No phones, no communication or at least very little, and no help in sight....nothing to stop criminals from going buck wild.

You mentioned you had a Young Child I believe.
Your Worried about Criminals??
I'm worried about YOU, when that Child is Hungry.

Think About It.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

You mentioned you had a Young Child I believe.
Your Worried about Criminals??
I'm worried about YOU, when that Child is Hungry.

Think About It.

So he has dry sweats for his fam and a few cans of formula or a case of baby food with his candles. There's no need to whip him up into panic mode. Panic doesn't help people.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I always have jugs of water and canned food on hand, no worries there. Candles, etc. I could definitely feed my kid....I am not talking about a couple days or weeks.

I was actually looking for someone to state a time frame on how long it might be down after an EMP blast. But the nuclear reactor thing kind of nullifies that.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Always be prepared even on a sunny day.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There's always a disaster looming over us.. I don't know why but people are bored and seem happier that way. Rooting for war, Cuban missile crisis, Ronnie's got a gun, Y2K, 2012.. and the various real disasters and comets that have come near earth inbetween. People seem to prefer to have a pending disaster than peace because they are bored.

I don't know what causes that but don't be sucked into it. Just keep a cool head. You'll be fine.

Ok, I have to add WMD, the Taliban are coming! and zombies. All just more of the same.
edit on 31-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
There's always a disaster looming over us.. I don't know why but people are bored and seem happier that way. Rooting for war, Cuban missile crisis, Ronnie's got a gun, Y2K, 2012.. and the various real disasters and comets that have come near earth inbetween. People seem to prefer to have a pending disaster than peace because they are bored.

I don't know what causes that but don't be sucked into it. Just keep a cool head. You'll be fine.
Umm, Im assuming your talking to the OP... who posted the Thread looking for Input.
And now you are telling Him to ignore the Very Answers , he asked the Questions Of.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I'm suggesting he not submit to hysteria and keep a cool head.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join