It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiscal Cliff Avoided

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The petulant wings of government (Republican and Democrat) have gotten together in harmony to set aside their differences and realize their overarching common interests. taking more of your money.

Source: Sen. McConnell says Lawmakers reached agreement on all tax issues

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

After all, if they can give each other raises, they should easily fix this.

S&F

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I'll believe it when we see the actual deal until then..........

thanks for the heads up I'll be looking forward to updates S&F for you

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
the fiscal cliff was overrated.

most americans don't have a job to raise taxes on.

the ones that do, aren't sure it'll be there next week and the ones that are secure can afford it.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't really have anything to back this up, but I had a feeling this would be avoided. I don't know why, and I'm admittedly ignorant as to the scope of it all (economics isn't my "bag"), but it all just seemed like another parade or distraction. I don't mean to downplay the situation, things are tough all over. It just seems to me that this was just to keep us worked up.

If anyone has any links about this whole situation, I'd appreciate it I would like to do away with that ignorance I mentioned before.
edit on 31-12-2012 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
They're still reporting it as "within reach".

There wasn't a lot of doubt.

The world is watching....

Wait til the very last possible minute, to drag out the reality show we call the US government......

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The cure is worse than the disease. We should have went over the cliff and into sequestration. We must cut spending or there will be a collapse.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Lets wait for the details. Sorry if I'm not put at ease by a politician's "reassurance".

Happy New Year Middle Class: The Fiscal Cliff Is Going To Rip You To Shreds.

Income tax ie legalized extortion is not meant for the "rich". Its a tool aimed at the Middle Class and the poor as a means of control and intimidation.

Repeal the 16th Amendment, dismantle the IRS.

edit on 31-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well, it's a great start....although I'm really disturbed by the mention in the stream there about this being everything NOT sequestered. So..that means the sequestration cuts across the board still happen? I'm a little confused on this... The taxes are good to fix but have never been my main concern here anyway. Taxes don't hit at the stroke of 12 midnight. They take months and time across the year to really be felt and have direct impact.

Err... I'm watching anxiously for direct mention of those things that actually give people a real real bad day Wednesday morning? Oh well, it's a step anyway. Something is better than a goose egg.

(Also wonders if Biden and McConnell have just been sitting there chatting and screwing around while they waited for the time agreed to "suddenly achieve" a deal they had cooked well before now? It's real hard not to wonder)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

the ones that do, aren't sure it'll be there next week and the ones that are secure can afford it.

What?

The current unemployment rate is at about 8%. Most Americans are working!!

Do you have a job? I'm self employed and looking to hire some help actually. My business is looking up after a 2 year slump.

However people with a penchant for hyperbolic comments, need not apply!!!

edit on 31-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I would personally like to thank democrats and republicans for coming together and volunteering our great-great grandchildren to pay for the trillions in debt that has been accumulated. Our wonderful government has proven by these actions that they have nothing but our best interests at heart. Fiscal cliff avoided!

I would also like to add that relinquishing debt to the unborn is such a liberating feeling! They don't even need to exist yet for me to feed on the sweet sweet fruit of their spectral labor! Posterity FTW!

God bless legalized theft, God bless the children, God bless America!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I must disagree wrabbit. This was a very bad move for us. The shared sacrifice will fall, as always, on the middle class; what remains of it. Washington already takes too much money. CUT SPENDING.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What a very odd statement. Most Americans don't have jobs? Hyperbole?

Most Americans DO have jobs. Unless you've chosen to lump in the retired and the children, then you have a valid point.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Thats the problem,I dont have a job and i'm on unemployment. I really needed them to extend those benefits

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Most of us older folks.. well we werent worried and knew theys pull a miraculous last minute "deal" out of their butts anyway. Not that its any deal for us citizens. All political theatre.. and everyone on the edge of their seats awaiting the smoke.. be it black or white.. it truly makes no difference. Bah.. we will not avoid our own microcosmic fiscal cliffs. I, for one, am NOT impressed by our leadership, their economic finesse, or their holy smoke....

italian.about.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

Lets wait for the details. Sorry if I'm not put at ease by a politician's "reassurance".

Happy New Year Middle Class: The Fiscal Cliff Is Going To Rip You To Shreds.

Income tax ie legalized extortion is not meant for the "rich". Its a tool aimed at the Middle Class and the poor as a means of control and intimidation.

Repeal the 16th Amendment, dismantle the IRS.

edit on 31-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

I would take it a step further and readmit the original, generic thirteenth amendment and throw all the bums out. Everyone should just become freemen and refuse to play their game and cease to comply.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
never mind
edit on 31-12-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
The current unemployment rate is at about 8%. Most Americans are working!!

The official unemployment rate only counts those who are LOOKING for work. It does not take into count the unemployed who are NOT LOOKING for work.

"For now, 58.7 per cent of American adults are working if the actual employment-population ratio is taken into consideration, leaving about 82 million, or almost 41 per cent of people unemployed. Only 8 per cent, however, are even interested in work, leaving 33 per cent of Americans not only jobless — but with no desire for work."

Source: The real jobs numbers: 41% of America unemployed, 1 in 3 doesn't want work at all

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

The fiscal cliff is a media distraction, what about our debt ? Soon we will reach the point that debt will be unpayable. We borrow monies to give away around the world, how crazy.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
if, by deal, you mean they are close to agreeing to raise taxes for some, cut spending in some areas and, basically, push this off for another two years, then, yes, it seems they are very close to a deal.

For many people, the cliff will not be avoided as the tax rates for many are still going up and they are still going to cut spending in many areas to accomodate the minimal tax increases.

Also, there's been dead silence on the other issue of the day, the debt ceiling. Did our moron leaders elect to take out more loans to service the already unpayable loans they took out to pay the prior loans which, oddly enough, were also used to service debt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join