It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making tallow and tallow candles from fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
www.wilderness-survival.net...

Loved this quick little tutorial with pics. If you have other tips that go with this, or comments, please post

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Thanks, its always good to add to the survival skills/knowledge set.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Excellent skill to know! Your resource was clear and accurate.
Nice find, keep em coming.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Remember there are also sfveral vegetable/plant sources of wax also. Wax myrtle, candleberry, etc. Will try and post a few links if and when I can get online with more than the mobike...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Wow, these are great instructions. Thank you so much! Always nice to have a new skill.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Incredible post!

As with most skills from the frontier days, they are a long forgotten bunch.
Skills that can be learned and passed down to all generations, instead of ignored.
But with this little tutorial and write-up, anyone could feasibly make tallow candles.

There are multiple uses for tallow, besides just candles.
Once it's rendered practically safe, it can be used to cook with months after storage.
Also, besides "duck grease"...tallow can be used for patches in some traditional firearms.
Allowing the tallow to get warm and pliable, of course.

Such a great find!
Thanks!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
this is awesome thank you, I have moved in recent years to Africa, and this will come on handy here! Now I only need to find a substitute for a wick! S & F!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've been saving my (filtered) bacon lard for several years in mason jars. I have about 12 jars now, each one a beautiful pearly white.

I have tried taking a small amount put into a 'shot-glass' along with a cotton-string-wick and it burnt clean with no smell. And in a pinch, I have something to grease my pans with to prevent burning.

Got to love them darn pigs!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CottonwoodStormy

make your own wick. Twisted strings of un dyed cotton dipped in melted wax work nicely

new topics

top topics

join