It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Perspective: Moon in 3D (Anaglyph Glasses Required!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hi ATS, sorry I haven't been contributing much to discussions but I am hoping to contribute in a different way with this post. I've created an anaglyph 3d image of a crater on the Moon, taken by Apollo 15 mapping camera. Anaglyph is image that turns into 3D when viewed with that funky looking red/cyan glasses that everyone's probably seen at one time or another.

One of the most frustrating things about trying to interpret Moon photos have been interpreting objects from top-down perspective, especially when cast shadow is missing or very limited due to high Sun. These two things really mess with our depth perception and ability to make out the shape of objects.

Anaglyph images seem to help, a lot. But that's just one man's opinion. Take this as a beta test of sorts if you will...feedback is welcomed! I recommend full resolution 1920x1080 uncompressed 5MB PNG file for serious viewing (download link near top left of the page). Tilting your monitor up or down may or may not improve your 3D experience (try on your tablet).

Half-res, compressed preview below

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow thats really cool you can see all the grooves and hill tops.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If you don't have anaglyph glasses and chances are, you don't, here is a quick and dirty way to make your own.

You need three simple everyday items: red marker, blue marker, cd case.
Fill in two rectangles on the clear CD case, red rectangle on left, blue on right.
Just hold the CD case over your eyes. Once again, red color over left eye, blue color over right eye.
Done and you've got 3D.

Enjoy the view.

Viewing tip: With glasses on, view the target image with your left eye closed/covered initially. Once image is in focus using right eye only, let the left side join in.
edit on 29-12-2012 by PINGi14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

Can you please post the stereo pair side by side, for crossed eye viewing (for those of us who don't have the glasses).

There are some Apollo lunar anaglyphs at www.hq.nasa.gov...
edit on 29-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I really wouldn't recommend it, not because you can become perma-cross eyed (believe me, I tried for a long time), but you won't be able to resolve the finer structural detail possible with even simple CD-case cover contraption. I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the NASA Apollo anaglyph link. It's a nice resource for surface based anaglyphs from Apollo pics..not that they've stopped anybody from making their own using available high res Apollo orbital photographs.
edit on 29-12-2012 by PINGi14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
OK, here you go.

I've reduced the resolution a bit so it wont' kill people's eyes...but I really recommend the anaglyph glasses because it allows you to go 3D on a large screen with ultra high res without being limited by size of image your eyeballs can merge before burning out (order it from amazon for $1.50 or make your own). Easter egg...find the UFO(s)!

new topics

top topics

join